talloola
the 2008-09 season will be the 100th
for the Habs.
This logo will replace present one
at center ice, and will be on the
hockey sweaters as well.The habs
will be the first NHL hockey team to
reach the 100 yr. mark.
Other sports franchises to reach 100 yrs.
is Yankees, White Sox,Cub, andCardinals,
In North America.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

for the Habs.
reach the 100 yr. mark.
In North America.

Congrats to the Habs.

There is another team in the 100 year group that might be the oldest of them all. Any guess who that is?

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Congrats to the Habs.

There is another team in the 100 year group that might be the oldest of them all. Any guess who that is?

How about Vancouver (Millionaires)?

Kreskin

How about Vancouver (Millionaires)?

An existing professional sports franchise.

talloola

An existing professional sports franchise.

Canadian Football League

Kreskin
Yes. There are actually two teams but one is truly unchanged in name.

The Toronto Argonauts were formed in 1873. Members of the Toronto Argonauts Rowing Club put a team in the Canadian Rugby Union. The Canadian Rugby Union eventually was given some hardware in the early 1900's called the Grey Cup. The Rugby Union eventually became in the CFL in post WWII. The team has had the same name and has operated consecutively since 1873.

In 1869 a team called the Hamilton Tigers created a rugby team. They eventually merged with another team then became the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the 1950's.

talloola
Gordie Howe is 80 years old.

talloola

Yes. There are actually two teams but one is truly unchanged in name.

The Toronto Argonauts were formed in 1873. Members of the Toronto Argonauts Rowing Club put a team in the Canadian Rugby Union. The Canadian Rugby Union eventually was given some hardware in the early 1900's called the Grey Cup. The Rugby Union eventually became in the CFL in post WWII. The team has had the same name and has operated consecutively since 1873.

In 1869 a team called the Hamilton Tigers created a rugby team. They eventually merged with another team then became the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the 1950's.

That is really interesting Kreskin, yeah, team 1040 was chatting a while back on the
age of the CFL, lots of history there.

talloola
There is lots of haggling going on concerning the decision to retire canuck sweaters.

Do you think Trevor Linden's sweater should be retired?

Do you think Markus Naslund's sweater should be retired?

DurkaDurka

There is lots of haggling going on concerning the decision to retire canuck sweaters.

Do you think Trevor Linden's sweater should be retired?

Do you think Markus Naslund's sweater should be retired?

Trevor Linden, yes. Whenever I think of him, I picture him as a Canuck.

Naslund, probably should have his sweater retired at some point but I think he needs to finish his career first.

talloola
Naslund has the most points - all-time,with 756 and the most goals with 346
Naslund has the most hat tricks, 10, tied with Tony Tanti, and Bure is next with 9

Naslund hasn't been consistent over the years, and hasn't been able to take the team
very far in the playoffs.

Trevor Linden has the most assists with 415, and most games played, and is second in all-time points
scored, with 733, and second in all-time goals scored, with 318

Trevor has always been a 'clutch' player, coming up big when it counted the most.
Last edited by talloola; Aug 26th, 2008 at 04:04 PM..

Lineman
Some day, some day
http://www.jetsowner.com/

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by LinemanView Post

Some day, some day
http://www.jetsowner.com/

We would love the return of the 'Winnipeg Jets,' hope it happens.
'WHERES THE MONEY', those big corporations, with the deep pockets,
need to step forward, and we need more teams in Canada.
Those teams, in parts of the U.S., that don't care about our
game, what are they doing there, and why aren't they here in our country.

We're cheering for you, make it happen.

Risus

for the Habs.
reach the 100 yr. mark.
In North America.

Too bad they are losers................

Lineman

We would love the return of the 'Winnipeg Jets,' hope it happens.
'WHERES THE MONEY', those big corporations, with the deep pockets,
need to step forward, and we need more teams in Canada.
Those teams, in parts of the U.S., that don't care about our
game, what are they doing there, and why aren't they here in our country.

We're cheering for you, make it happen.

I'd like to say it's all up to us here in Winnipeg but there has to be pressure from other centres to make it happen. As long as the so called salary cap keeps being adjusted upward it isn't going to happen. Let's face it the rich teams control the league and bringing hockey back to Winnipeg isn't on their plate. Wait till the southern franchises start to fail and the American TV contracts, that Mr Bettman has been chasing for years, disappear, then and only then will salaries drop again to where Winnipeg and Quebec City can get the NHL back.

In the mean time I'll keep cheering against the leafs and anything else "Moronto"

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by LinemanView Post

I'd like to say it's all up to us here in Winnipeg but there has to be pressure from other centres to make it happen. As long as the so called salary cap keeps being adjusted upward it isn't going to happen. Let's face it the rich teams control the league and bringing hockey back to Winnipeg isn't on their plate. Wait till the southern franchises start to fail and the American TV contracts, that Mr Bettman has been chasing for years, disappear, then and only then will salaries drop again to where Winnipeg and Quebec City can get the NHL back.

In the mean time I'll keep cheering against the leafs and anything else "Moronto"

I can't see the cap coming down anytime soon, the teams are making big profits, and as
long as that happens, the cap will continue going up, or staying firm where it is, something pretty grim would have to happen to make that cap start going down, and
if you have to depend on that happening to have a chance to bring hockey back to Winnipeg, it doesn't look good. If hockey couldn't stay in Winnipeg at the salaries that were being paid before, it certainly won't be able to do it now. I guess that is why
teams can survive in cities in the u.s., cause there is so much money coming from the top, with owners who are billionaires etc.

Canaduh
KHL looks far more exciting than the NHL this season, if the KHL is properly managed and controlled.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by sensfanView Post

KHL looks far more exciting than the NHL this season, if the KHL is properly managed and controlled.

I hope you are kidding...

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

What is the KHL?

DurkaDurka

What is the KHL?

It's the new Russian pro league, their ranks are mostly filled with Europeans, failed nhl players and the odd ageing star (Jagr)

Canaduh
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Not at all, the NHL has been total **** since the 04/05 stike, watch a KHL game this season you will be surprised. [Thats if your not still stuck in the whole cold war mindset]

talloola

Not at all, the NHL has been total **** since the 04/05 stike, watch a KHL game this season you will be surprised. [Thats if your not still stuck in the whole cold war mindset]

Oh, they must be clutching, grabbing, and have lots of goon players who really can't
skate all that good, that would make them similar to the NHL before the lockout.

DurkaDurka

I'll probably watch a game or two for comparison purposes. The league will be regionally successful but it's reach probably won't extend too far out of Russia. They don't have enough top calibre players nor the prestige to compete with the NHL.

talloola
How will anyone be able to watch any games.

DurkaDurka

How will anyone be able to watch any games.

I imagine you'll be able to buy some sort of package from your TV provider if there is demand for it.

talloola
Joe Sakic announced today, that he has signed a contract for another
year of hockey with the Colorado Avalanche, he said, he is healthy, and still wants to play
and is looking forward to the season.

Just the Facts

Joe Sakic announced today, that he has signed a contract for another
year of hockey with the Colorado Avalanche, he said, he is healthy, and still wants to play
and is looking forward to the season.

I guess Sundin will be next. I just saw a classic Nordiques game a couple of weeks ago and they looked good together.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Just the FactsView Post

I guess Sundin will be next. I just saw a classic Nordiques game a couple of weeks ago and they looked good together.

Yeah, he'll be next, rumblings again today, that he will go to rangers, and then canucks
will pick up Gionta, sounds good to me, but nothing concrete at all.

Kreskin
I heard he might sit out awhile before going anywhere. They should cut bait and focus elsewhere.

talloola

I heard he might sit out awhile before going anywhere. They should cut bait and focus elsewhere.

I would imagine they are getting there, I know they have other plans, if and when he
decides to either come or not, and I would imagine they also have their own deadline
but there hasn't been any real need to have to do anything else in that time period anyway, but as they get closer to the training camp, or perhaps one of their other plans
begins to get shaky, Gillis will probably make a move.

Gomez would be a great addition, he is from Alaska, and played his junior hockey in
B.C., and has ties to the west coast, not to mention that he is a great player.