how bout them leafs

spaminator
https://www.nhl.com/video/leo-komaro...912/c-41582203 (external - login to view)

spaminator
hurricanes 1 leafs 3

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

hurricanes 1 leafs 3

can't lose em all !!!

spaminator
Reimer's wife talks death threats from cyberbullies
Michelle Ruby, Postmedia Network
First posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 05:08 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, February 25, 2016 05:40 PM EST
BRANTFORD - Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer knows all too well how nasty fans can be when the team is going badly.

But Reimer himself doesn’t have a Twitter account, while his wife, April Reimer, does. She told high school students in Brantford Thursday just how awful that experience can be.

After the Leafs’ collapse in Game 7 of the first round of the 2013 playoffs, some fans got April’s cellphone number and made frightening phone calls and sent disturbing texts. She said police were easily able to track the senders.

“I had 300 death threats in one night because James lost a game,” Reimer told the gym full of senior students at St. John’s College.

“It’s OK for people to have an opinion about a professional athlete. They can say he’s a bad goalie. But when it gets hurtful, hateful or harmful, that’s not acceptable.”

In a demonstration of the anonymity of cyberbullying, Reimer sat behind a screen and had three students read aloud one of the actual tweets she received in 2013. The most offensive suggested she should stab her husband in the heart while he slept.

Others called James Reimer garbage and suggested he get psychiatric help.

“When you say stuff online, you’re talking to a screen,” said Reimer. “People forget there’s a human being on the other side.

“What was I doing wrong? All I did was have an account.”

Reimer told the students about ex-Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling playing hardball with trolls who sent violent, sexual responses directed at his daughter after he posted a proud dad tweet congratulating her on her acceptance to college.

After Schilling took action, many of the trolls lost their jobs or got kicked off teams.

Reimer’s visit to St. John’s coincided with Anti-Bullying Week. She was there to promote Sweet Tweet, her positive response to that very personal cyberbullying attack.

The campaign, a partnership with the Canadian Safe School Network, was created to challenge people to spread positive messages through online social networks, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.

Reimer promotes the cause by offering prime tickets for Leafs’ games twice a month to those who add the hashtag #tweetsweet to their positive tweet, picture or comment.

“You have a voice and a choice,” she said to students. “You can build people up or tear them down.”
April Reimer, wife of Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer, speaks about cyberbullying to high school students at St. John's College on Thursday February 25, 2016 in Brantford. (Brian Thompson/Postmedia Network)

James Reimer's wife talks death threats from cyberbullies | Toronto Maple Leafs

spaminator
islanders 3 leafs 4

wings 0 leafs 1

spaminator
lightning 1 leafs 4

talloola
+1

Reimer's wife talks death threats from cyberbullies
Michelle Ruby, Postmedia Network
First posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 05:08 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, February 25, 2016 05:40 PM EST
BRANTFORD - Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer knows all too well how nasty fans can be when the team is going badly.

But Reimer himself doesn’t have a Twitter account, while his wife, April Reimer, does. She told high school students in Brantford Thursday just how awful that experience can be.

After the Leafs’ collapse in Game 7 of the first round of the 2013 playoffs, some fans got April’s cellphone number and made frightening phone calls and sent disturbing texts. She said police were easily able to track the senders.

“I had 300 death threats in one night because James lost a game,” Reimer told the gym full of senior students at St. John’s College.

“It’s OK for people to have an opinion about a professional athlete. They can say he’s a bad goalie. But when it gets hurtful, hateful or harmful, that’s not acceptable.”

In a demonstration of the anonymity of cyberbullying, Reimer sat behind a screen and had three students read aloud one of the actual tweets she received in 2013. The most offensive suggested she should stab her husband in the heart while he slept.

Others called James Reimer garbage and suggested he get psychiatric help.

“When you say stuff online, you’re talking to a screen,” said Reimer. “People forget there’s a human being on the other side.

“What was I doing wrong? All I did was have an account.”

Reimer told the students about ex-Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling playing hardball with trolls who sent violent, sexual responses directed at his daughter after he posted a proud dad tweet congratulating her on her acceptance to college.

After Schilling took action, many of the trolls lost their jobs or got kicked off teams.

Reimer’s .

“You have a voice and a choice,” she said to students. “You can build people up or tear them down.”
April Reimer, wife of Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer, speaks about cyberbullying to high school students at St. John's College on Thursday February 25, 2016 in Brantford. (Brian Thompson/Postmedia Network)

James Reimer's wife talks death threats from cyberbullies | Toronto Maple Leafs

good for her to speak out to students, and make them think. it is way over the top to treat anyone in this
way, but all around the world, sports, especially soccer, the biggest game in the world has been absolutely
insane re: behavior of fans, this is unacceptable, and certainly shows 'us', the human species, how many
of us can lose our ability to think clearly, and unable to place 'a game' where it should be in the big picture.

'A GAME', not life and death, a game that should be 'what' helps us unwind and relax, and have fun, after working all day,
that is the reality.

where does this type of anger come from, is it mostly very young men, who think in groups, and work
each other into a frenzy, from empty heads, with undeveloped brain cells, or is it mostly 'money' lost
from betting on games, or I would imagine, 'both'.

Mowich
Well put, talloola. Though I would imagine there is at least a fair share of girls/women taking part in some of this. From what I see on the news and the internet, girls/women can be just as nasty, brain-dead and cruel as their male counterparts.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

Well put, talloola. Though I would imagine there is at least a fair share of girls/women taking part in some of this. From what I see on the news and the internet, girls/women can be just as nasty, brain-dead and cruel as their male counterparts.

yes, probably, but in my opinion the real serious stuff, not in the gossipy manner, would be the male
of our species.

maybe I'm just nieve, but I do think the big money flying around, and the testerone triggered energy,
is the majority.

maybe the female of today is someone I'm not accustomed to, as I have not encountered in my life females
who are really interested to that extent, but maybe when big money is part of the equation, even the
women get their little fists in there, and learn how to lose bigtime.

spaminator
https://www.nhl.com/video/c-43228103 (external - login to view)

spaminator
John Brophy brought passion to Leafs

By Rob Longley, Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 01:47 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, May 23, 2016 07:35 PM EDT
TORONTO - He was nowhere near the most successful Leafs coach, nor was John Brophy among the longest-serving of the 30 men who have stood behind the Toronto bench.

None were more colourful than the Antigonish, N.S., native, however, a white-haired, red-faced and fiery legend who died on Monday.

Brophy, who was 83, coached the Leafs for parts of three seasons before being fired 33 games into the 1988-89 campaign.

“He was old-school, but he cared,” said former Leaf Bob McGill, who played for Brophy. “He wanted to win so badly and would do anything to do it. If you weren’t going to win the game, he was going to make sure the other team paid for the two points they took from him.”

More than one former player has shared stories of expletive-laced Brophy tirades for which he became legend. Toronto Sun colleague Lance Hornby still has the recording from one epic post-game rant that contained more than 70 F-bombs.

“The funniest was one night in Minnesota when we were losing 4-1 after the first period and Broph snapped on everybody,” said McGill, recalling some of the X-rated details. “Guys almost fell off their chairs.”

While his stint in the NHL was short, Brophy’s reputation was forged in the roughneck ECHL, where a fight won was as important as a goal scored. Some believe Brophy was in part an inspiration for Reggie Dunlop, the character played by actor Paul Newman in the cult hockey film Slapshot.

He won three championships with the Hampton Roads Admirals in that minor pro league, which named the coach of the year trophy after Brophy. His best NHL season was his first, when he led the 1986-87 Leafs to the second round of the playoffs.

With news of his death, which came after a long illness, stories and tributes were flying on Monday.

“Sad to hear on the passing of John Brophy,” former Leaf Ed Olzcyk said on Twitter. “A coach who was demanding, intense, a tad out there and passionate.”

Brophy retired in 2003 with 1,027 wins as a professional coach, second only to Scotty Bowman.

“John was a colourful coach; a man who dedicated his life to hockey,” Leafs general manager Lou Lamoriello said via email. “This is a great loss to the hockey community and of course to his family. He will be missed.”

rlongley@postmedia.com (external - login to view)
Former Toronto Maple Leafs coach John Brophy. (Toronto Sun files)

John Brophy brought passion to Leafs | Toronto Maple Leafs | Sports | Toronto Su

spaminator
Leafs unveil new team jersey
By Lance Hornby, Toronto Sun
First posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 06:29 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, June 24, 2016 06:46 PM EDT
BUFFALO - The Maple Leafs are trying to convey renewed respect in the franchise’s 100th anniversary sweaters — inside and out.

The new model, unveiled here Friday when 18-year-old centre Auston Matthews was called to the stage as the first overall draft pick, will have the capitalized words “HONOUR. PRIDE. COURAGE.” stitched into the collar. Those were favourite phrases of Leaf patriarch Conn Smythe.

“It’s so that our players and fans are reminded of that every time they put it on,” club president Brendan Shanahan said in a release.

As many hoped, the club stayed away from any radical re-designs. As previously released in February, there is a throwback logo to the 1940s-60s, an enlarged 31-point Leaf to recognize the team’s move to Maple Leaf Gardens in 1931. Inside that Leaf are 17 veins, recognizing the founding of the franchise as the Toronto Arenas in 1917.

The shoulder patch Leafs — introduced in the Harold Ballard era in the ’70s and given a more vintage look in the ’90s — are now gone. There are four stripes, two on each sleeve and a solid band across the bottom.

“There is simplicity in the design so that the focus is always solely on the crest,” said Shanahan, echoing general manager Lou Lamoriello’s mantra that the emblem on the front of the sweater is always more important than the name on the back.

“Much like the new logo that pays tribute to the club’s championship legacy, but also represents the start of an exciting new chapter in team history, our new uniforms are meant to be classic and timeless,” added Shanahan.

They new sweaters will be available on an online pre-sale Aug. 1 through the club’s Real Sports Apparel store and on general sale at the store Sept. 1.

LHornby@postmedia.com (external - login to view)
The new Toronto Maple Leafs jerseys are pictured in this undated handout photo. (HANDOUT, Postmedia Network)

Leafs unveil new team jersey | Toronto Maple Leafs | Sports | Toronto Sun
prefer the modern style.

spaminator
Andy Frost will be missed as Maple Leafs' PA announcer

By Joe Warmington, Toronto Sun
First posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 08:20 AM EDT
He was the Toronto Maple Leafs best performer over the past 17 years.

And certainly its most consistent.

No matter how bad a season was going and what players on the ice came and went, Andy Frost up in the booth was always there, professionally holding down the fort.

He won’t be any more.

The popular voice of the Maple Leaf games at the Air Canada Centre has not had his contract renewed and won’t be back for the rebirth of the team that starts in September.

“I will miss dealing with the very loyal Leafs fans and the excitement of a game day in the arena,” Frost told me Tuesday.

He’ll be missed too.

His classic voice had a soothing quality. He was the public address guy for the Leafs at the ACC, just like Paul Morris was the steady hand at the Gardens for decades. It made sense for Frost and his classic rock roots from his Q107 background to step into the new barn and create a new legacy. Morris was gracious about it and understood — saying he was basically ready to retire.

But this move does not have that feel to it. Seems too soon. Not in the team’s 100th season!

There appears to be no smoking gun or controversy. It was just a decision for change. My contacts at Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment insist it was an amicable split.

“Very friendly,” said spokesman Dave Haggith. “The entire organization, and its fans, thank Andy for his many years of service and wish him all the best for his future projects.”

Frost certainly did not express any vitriol. He was his usual classy and took the high road all the way.

“It was fantastic,” the Winnipeg native said of his run from the opening of The Hangar in 1999 until 2016. “Working for the Maple Leafs and in the NHL was a tremendous honour.”

Change happens in hockey. But it’s not always right. Ask Scott Moore over at Rogers about Hockey Night in Canada.

Some fans are already speaking out.

“Not the ACC’s smartest moment that’s for sure,” said Ron Cundell of Angus.

“It’s a travesty,” said Rob Del Mundo of TMLfans.com, adding that Andy’s famous call for ‘last minute of play’ is an ACC trademark.”

“It’s a cut-throat industry,” said fan Stefan Ottenbrite. “That voice will be forever missed at the ACC.”

I first read about this move in Howard Berger’s blog and, since he has covered the Maple Leafs for 35 years, asked him his thoughts.

“I don’t know why this happened but Andy will be missed,” Berger told me. “I grew up at Maple Leaf Gardens with Paul Morris (he did PA from 1964 to ’99). Not only was he widely imitated, he was also a voice of comfort for Leafs fans. It was difficult to imagine anyone else doing the job. But Andy came along and built his own legend. An entire generation of Leafs fans has grown up with him in the Air Canada Centre.”

So who’s next?

Haggith said that will be announced in September.

It gives LeafNation time to maybe try to change its mind and bring back Frost to be part of the exciting times ahead with new first rounder Auston Matthews. I have a poll on torontosun.com in which you can vote on your view. We convinced Rogers to bring back Ron MacLean, so maybe Frost could get a second chance too?

For his part, Frost says he’s happy with the great run he had with the team and the fans that he loves.

“It has been a pleasure,” said Frost.

It has, indeed, Andy.
Andy Frost had been the Toronto Maple Leafs public address announcer at the Air Canada Centre. (Joe Warmington/Toronto Sun)

Andy Frost will be missed as Maple Leafs' PA announcer | WARMINGTON | Toronto &

spaminator
Former Leafs farm team player, girlfriend charged in alleged rape of Utah woman
By Brad Hunter, 24 Hours
First posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 04:07 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, September 26, 2016 05:03 PM EDT
A former Toronto Maple Leafs farm team player has been arrested with his girlfriend in an alleged rape at the Sundance Film Festival.
Michael Taylor, 46, who played for the St. John’s Maple Leafs and is now a financier, and his wild child gal pal, 27-year-old Anne Hardcastle are accused of raping and sodomizing a young woman at the famed festival.
Cops say the two plied a 23-year-old woman with booze and ecstasy at a Park City, Utah, bar and encouraged her to participate in a threesome.
Then she “blacked out” before waking up with Hardcastle beside her in bed.
Taylor — originally for Kingston — nabbed a hockey scholarship from Northeastern University in Boston before embarking on a long stint in the sport’s minor leagues.
He finished his career with the San Diego Gulls of the West Coast Hockey League in 2001 after fighting back problems.
“Growing up with hockey, it’s something I love to do, and no matter what age I gave it up, I’m going to have second thoughts,” Taylor told the San Diego Union-Tribune at the time.
After his career ended, Taylor went back to school at Duke University.
According to the New York Post, he met Hardcastle at a business function. The tabloid says the two couldn’t have been more different.
The former hockey player was utterly smitten with his slinky blonde southern belle.
“He absolutely seemed in love with her,” a former colleague said. “She was this very strong personality, and he did whatever she wanted him to do.”
Taylor often boasted to pals that Hardcastle was bisexual. But only she could enjoy the charms of other women, the friend said.
The Post also claims that Hardcastle won over Taylor by dosing her then banker beau with Ambien so she could rendezvous with the former minor league star.
When the alleged victim awoke, she was covered in scratches, bite marks and bruises — and had acute ******l pain.
The desperate young woman corresponded with the couple trying to piece together the evening’s events.
The woman said Hardcastle admitted to digitally penetrating her, performing oral sex on her and licking her breasts. When the alleged victim asked about the scratches, she said Hardcastle replied: “You said you liked it rough so I gave you what you wanted.”
According to the Post, Taylor and Hardcastle had plans to marry.
“He was excited to move in with her this past spring,” the source said, adding, “he said, ‘This is the one.’”
Michael Taylor (inset) and his girlfriend Anna Hardcastle have been charged in the alleged rape of a woman at the Sundance Film Festival. (Facebook Photos)

spaminator
New Maple Leafs anthem singer ready for home ice debut
By Lance Hornby, Toronto Sun
First posted: Friday, September 30, 2016 06:18 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 30, 2016 06:25 PM EDT
The Maple Leafs are trending to youth and enthusiasm on the ice and have brought in a 15-year-old anthem singer in hopes of getting a reserved Air Canada Centre crowd to plug in.
Martina Ortiz Luis, a Grade 10 student from Woodbridge, won the audition to be the club’s full-time performer of ‘O Canada’ and ‘The Star-Spangled Banner.’ After two warm-ups at Leaf road exhibition games, where she projected quite well and earned hearty applause, she debuts Sunday night with the Montreal Canadiens in town.
“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t going to be nervous,” Ortiz Luis laughed on Friday at the club offices. “But I’m excited to bring energy to the crowd.”
The Leafs join teams such as Boston and Philadelphia with signature anthem singers. The move reflects club president Brendan Shanahan’s wish to use the club’s 100th anniversary season to also “look ahead to the next chapter,” said Shannon Hosford, vice-president of marketing and fan experience for MLSE.
“We’re adding statues to Legends Row, changing our player banners and doing many events with alumni this year. But in addition to the keeping 100 in mind, we want to start at 001. We want to motivate our young team and to reflect that, we want our arena to be loud and have a real home ice advantage.”
That has been a challenge for the Leafs, especially in the ACC era, where years of losing have led disgruntled fans to sit on their hands or on occasion, throw sweaters in disgust. That began changing last season and Ortiz Luis, new public address announcer Mike Ross, and a revamped game operations team dubbed The Blue Crew have been added to further Shanahan’s vision.
Ortiz Luis, whose parents were born in Manila in the Philippines, is only four years younger than the club’s No. 1 draft pick, Auston Matthews.
“I know we have a lot of good young players,” Ortiz Luis said. “I’m a fan of all Toronto teams.”
It was her father who spotted the ad for anthem auditions on the Leafs’ website, but it was only the night before the tryout that she realized she had to be at the ACC for 7 a.m. next day with 200 other hopefuls.
She was well prepared, having started voice training at three-years-old and studying classical music at the Royal Conservatory of Music. Attending Cardinal Carter Academy of the Arts, she enjoys singing pop, rhythm and blues and hopes to become “a well-known musician and singer-songwriter.” She has performed musical theatre and written some tunes, including a Christmas song for the World Vision Canada charity.
“There were a lot of seasoned singers who came to the audition,” Hosford added. “But the first time she sang (before 11,000 people in Halifax on Monday in the game against Ottawa) a lot of people were rooting for her. We think she’s a key piece of what we want to do here.”
LHornby@postmedia.com (external - login to view)
Martina Ortiz Luis exercises her voice at the ACC in Toronto on Friday September 30, 2016. Dave Thomas/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network

New Maple Leafs anthem singer ready for home ice debut | Toronto Maple Leafs | S

spaminator
Leafs need help with their mental game, Amazing Kreskin says
By Terry Davidson, Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 09:24 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, October 10, 2016 09:27 PM EDT
TORONTO - The Maple Leafs have mental problems.
So says iconic celebrity mentalist The Amazing Kreskin, who is offering his services to Toronto’s beleaguered hockey team, which finished last overall in the 2015-16 NHL season.
Kreskin, who spoke with the Toronto Sun from New Jersey on Monday, is reaching out to Leafs management with an offer to meet with the team and use the “power of suggestion” to bump up their mental game.
“I would have to work with the team ... three or four times for about 35 minutes to an hour each, and it would have to be the entire team because I would be conditioning them to change their mental attitude, and that could (impact) how effectively they function ... in a competitive situation,” Kreskin said.
He said the Leafs’ long history of losing has taken its toll on the team’s collective mentality.
“When a team is winning, there is a positive energy that builds up, but over a period of time when they are losing, the psychological factors don’t just stay positive and high ... The mental situation is affected just as much, and that has to be shifted,” Kreskin said.
When asked what he would bring to the team that a sports psychologist couldn’t, he said he would bring “a very special thing” to the table.
“Kreskin — that’s it,” he said. “They can take it or leave it. I’m working with other teams privately, I’m working with other groups.”
Kreskin wouldn’t discuss how much he would charge the team. “I’m not doing this for nothing. Oh, they’re going to have to pay me,” he said.
Maple Leafs spokesman Steve Keogh told the Sun in an email that “the club is not interested in this offer.” Keogh did not immediately respond when asked why not.
In 2013, Kreskin worked with boxer Heather “The Heat” Hardy, who went on to win a WBC championship in 2014.
TDavidson@postmedia.com (external - login to view)
Leafs need help with their mental game, Amazing Kreskin says | Toronto Maple Lea

Walter
+1
I'll go out on a limb and predict the Leafs may or may not make the playoffs this season.

Cannuck

By Brad Hunter, 24 Hours
First posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 04:07 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, September 26, 2016 05:03 PM EDT
A former Toronto Maple Leafs farm team player has been arrested with his girlfriend in an alleged rape at the Sundance Film Festival.
Michael Taylor, 46, who played for the St. John’s Maple Leafs and is now a financier, and his wild child gal pal, 27-year-old Anne Hardcastle are accused of raping and sodomizing a young woman at the famed festival.
Cops say the two plied a 23-year-old woman with booze and ecstasy at a Park City, Utah, bar and encouraged her to participate in a threesome.
Then she “blacked out” before waking up...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
The last Leaf to score?

Cliffy

talloola
lol, good one. my apologies to the people who went down with the titanic, no one left
to read this anyway, so not hurting anyone, so, yeah again, good one.

TenPenny
+1
One prediction is for sure: this season will have some surprises, and some disappointments.

Mowich

Leafs No. 1 pick Auston Matthews scores 4 goals in NHL debut

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2016 draft is the first player to score four goals in his NHL debut.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...nhl-debut.html

Welcome to the NHL, Auston! Well done................even if it was in a losing cause...........plenty of time to get things right this year.