Hockey Is Back: NHL And Players Reach Tentative Deal, Ending Lockout

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Who cares! They won't be getting any of my viewing time. Bunch of A-Holes.

Well, they certainly are a self-centred bunch on both sides, so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they did lose a few paying fans. What we have here is some of the richest people in the world (comparitively speaking) not giving a sh*t about the Zamboni operator, the hot dog vendor or the motel owner across the street from the arena. It's all about greed and self aggrandizement (think that's a word)-:)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Free-agent contracts can last just seven years, but clubs can go to eight years to re-sign their own players. Each side can opt out of the deal after eight years. The players’ share of hockey-related income, a total that reached a record $3.3 billion last season, will drop from 57 percent to a 50-50 split. The salary cap for the upcoming season will be $70.2 million and will then go down to $64.3 million in the 2013-14 season. All clubs must have a minimum payroll of $44 million.
A new pension plan will be written up as well, an area of particular importance to players.
I'm having a hard time, what is the expression? Oh yeah, giving a damn.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I might have cared three months ago but I'm no longer addicted to watching the game I played for twenty years and coached
for another ten. Hell's bell's these turkeys knew what the costs and the revenues were the day the lock-out started and it took
a hundred odd days to decide how the players and owners would split the proceeds. Who cares!!

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Think of all the big bucks more that the fans will have to shell out for a NHL game. The fat cats in Toronto won't notice but the rest of the league will and the teams in the NHL will start to fall like a house of cards.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
I would hope fans would stay away for the rest of the season. only supporting minor hockey.

To send a message to these millionaires and billionaires who really pays their paychecks. and have them realize that they're still only playing a game .

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I've lost a lot of respect for the owners. I thought they were astute business people but now feel they are primarily born-with-spoon-in-mouth idiots. Why they keep Bettman on as the ambassador of the game is truly perplexing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've lost a lot of respect for the owners. I thought they were astute business people but now feel they are primarily born-with-spoon-in-mouth idiots. Why they keep Bettman on as the ambassador of the game is truly perplexing.

Yep, Bettman has about as much class as an onion sandwich!...........and Brian Burke. But still the greed isn't all confined to Bettman.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Hey, I love onion sandwiches.
Recipe
Slice a large spanish onion and soak the slices in wine vinegar for twenty minutes.
Warm several crusty buns
Open a jar of pickled herring
Slice a bun and butter both halves
Stack one half of the bun with alternating layers of onion and herring
Top the layers with the other half of the bun
Enjoy watching European football on a large-screen TV

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Bettman is a clown, but blaming the owners on this, I think is wrong.

If the NHLPA wants a fixed % of the revenues, then shell-out that same % of the money to build the arenas and the team jets..

Hell, they were even bitching about getting money from beer sales and parking? Maybe these chumps can help sell the beer and be the parking attendant if that's what they feel they're owed

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hey, I love onion sandwiches.
Recipe
Slice a large spanish onion and soak the slices in wine vinegar for twenty minutes.
Warm several crusty buns
Open a jar of pickled herring
Slice a bun and butter both halves
Stack one half of the bun with alternating layers of onion and herring
Top the layers with the other half of the bun
Just add a shot glass and a bottle of frozen vodka.

Bettman is a clown, but blaming the owners on this, I think is wrong.

If the NHLPA wants a fixed % of the revenues, then shell-out that same % of the money to build the arenas and the team jets..

Hell, they were even bitching about getting money from beer sales and parking? Maybe these chumps can help sell the beer and be the parking attendant if that's what they feel they're owed
I'd like to see what is in the NHLPA's portfolio.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I'd like to see what is in the NHLPA's portfolio.

It'd be interesting, that's for sure..... But it still makes my head spin how a group that has zero money at risk can demand guaranteed salaries (with no return guarantee of performance) and still demand such a big slice of the pie without risking one penny of their own?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Without knowing what they have invested in, which could be vendors, parking lots, t-shirts and poutine it's hard to say.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Who cares! They won't be getting any of my viewing time. Bunch of A-Holes.

I might have cared three months ago but I'm no longer addicted to watching the game I played for twenty years and coached
for another ten. Hell's bell's these turkeys knew what the costs and the revenues were the day the lock-out started and it took
a hundred odd days to decide how the players and owners would split the proceeds. Who cares!!

We have been well entertained with the World Junior competition, juan - and there has been no lack of good hockey if people were willing to support their local teams and get out to the games.