Flooding in Mississippi basin and Manitoba

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So here we go again. Every year there is major flooding along the mississippi river and in Manitoba. Is this really news? We know it happens every spring as it has happened for hundreds of years in the natural couse of nature itself so why are we all surprised and why is this such a big news story?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I would hope it's not average with the controlled flooding they are getting ready to do.

That seems pretty extreme to me.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Ther is one thing that is really bothering me about the controlled flooding in Manitoba. They are going to destroy 150 homes and farms that are not presently in danger to protect homes and farms that are and there are some that are questioning whether the owners of those 150 should recieve full compensation for their losses. I find this to be inherently improper. they are in no danger but will lose everything and some people think they should not be compensated. What BS!!!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I've not heard too much about compensation measures, I would hope it would as close to 100% as is possible. I only saw a little bit about it on the news last night.

One thing I did note was how overwhelmingly concilliatory many of those in the controlled flood zoned seemed to be. Not everyone of course, some were quite bitter and angry, but I heard quite a few saying they understood the sacrifice that had to be made, for the greater good, etc. That kind of leads me to think the compensation package must be at least somewhat reasonable.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I've not heard too much about compensation measures, I would hope it would as close to 100% as is possible. I only saw a little bit about it on the news last night.

One thing I did note was how overwhelmingly concilliatory many of those in the controlled flood zoned seemed to be. Not everyone of course, some were quite bitter and angry, but I heard quite a few saying they understood the sacrifice that had to be made, for the greater good, etc. That kind of leads me to think the compensation package must be at least somewhat reasonable.

The initial position of the govt was to give 100% compensation. Now some in opposition and some residents in already flooded areas are crying foul and saying compensation should be given under disaster relief guidlines which is very far from 100%. I don't understand this position as these people would not get flooded if not for the actions of the govt.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Yes it is news, some say the flooding is the worst in 300 years and that alone makes it news.
There are all kinds of people who are having their homes, farms and lives destroyed because
the levies have to be opened in order to save a vast amount of homes further down stream.
Face it when a flood this big hits you can't shore up everything even if you wanted to it just is
not possible.
In the States the rivers are running backwards up stream on tributaries there is so much water.
This is a huge story for another reason, much of the land on both sides of the boarder happens
to be farmland and in some case, it will mean that for three years in a row some land will not be
able to be harvested. Vast tracks more will be affected this year and that means the cost of
food will rise as well. It could take a lot of money out of the Western Canadian economy and
that is news

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The initial position of the govt was to give 100% compensation. Now some in opposition and some residents in already flooded areas are crying foul and saying compensation should be given under disaster relief guidlines which is very far from 100%. I don't understand this position as these people would not get flooded if not for the actions of the govt.
Agreed. It's not a disaster (intended meaning "natural disaster" I'm sure) if they are doing it on purpose.

Still, I can see some who've been hit with the flood already being a little ticked. That's a normal emotional reaction I guess.

Overall, I think it's got to be a lot cheaper to compensate a few 100% than compensate a greater number even if it's a smaller percentage. Plus the added losses to farm productivity etc, make the loss even harder if they let the flood happen naturally.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Yes it is news, some say the flooding is the worst in 300 years and that alone makes it news.
There are all kinds of people who are having their homes, farms and lives destroyed because
the levies have to be opened in order to save a vast amount of homes further down stream.
Face it when a flood this big hits you can't shore up everything even if you wanted to it just is
not possible.
In the States the rivers are running backwards up stream on tributaries there is so much water.
This is a huge story for another reason, much of the land on both sides of the boarder happens
to be farmland and in some case, it will mean that for three years in a row some land will not be
able to be harvested. Vast tracks more will be affected this year and that means the cost of
food will rise as well. It could take a lot of money out of the Western Canadian economy and
that is news
I have heard this complaint about the farms and food supply a few times now but as I recall for thousands of years the Egyptians relied upon the annual flooding of the Nile to sustain their agricultural land. It deposited nutrients and minerals that made the land extremely productive.

How does the government have anything to do with how fast the thaw comes up north?
The govt actions under discussion are the planned levee breaches and controlled floods.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I have heard this complaint about the farms and food supply a few times now but as I recall for thousands of years the Egyptians relied upon the annual flooding of the Nile to sustain their agricultural land. It deposited nutrients and minerals that made the land extremely productive.

The govt actions under discussion are the planned levee breaches and controlled floods.
That's true so when the army was building all those barriers they should have been sloping the land so it drained evenly after the flood.
The opposite should be done for the Peace River, they should have lots of low temporary dams so during the winter the flood-plains can get water as the spring run-off doesn't raise the water high enough to create the wetlands for the wildlife.

They don't always have to blow levies and Egypt didn't mix stuff like diesel into the soil. They might have to settle for one crop a year, or two fast growing ones.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

It has to go somewhere....

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Tea Baggers in that area are no longer clamoring for an end to government involvement in these disasters. Instead, they now have hat in hand begging for government money to bail them out.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Tea Baggers in that area are no longer clamoring for an end to government involvement in these disasters. Instead, they now have hat in hand begging for government money to bail them out.
Bail them out with money to buy buckets?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Looks like a whole whack of Mexicans won't get to work in Canada and get EI this fall. Bummer.
God Almighty what an ignoramus!

but as I recall for thousands of years the Egyptians relied upon the annual flooding of the Nile to sustain their agricultural land. It deposited nutrients and minerals that made the land extremely productive.
The annual floods deposited nutrients on desert soil-little could be grown without the flood and the river level was often too low to fill irrigation ditches with manual pumps.

It's to be expected that someone will be jealous of someone else being compensated for their livelihood being destroyed-people are often small minded and jealous-even people on this forum believe it or not.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Of course those in the controlled flood area should receive 100% compensation. This will be an act of man, not an act of nature. I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that compensation for the other flood victims is based on an act of nature. Setting out to deliberately destroy one's home, ranch, farm or business by flood, fire or any other means demands full compensation.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
politicalnick in the days of Egypt, the flood plain brought top soil onto the desert to provide
rich land. In this case the land is also rich and harvesting can't be done because machines
bog down. Secondly farming is done completely different than in ancient times. Commercial
farming is not just about farming, its about being able to secure and maintain your markets.
The other problem is that the food supply chain demands supply supply supply and if its not
there speculators take over. From there prices rise and to make matters worse that much
saturation could well mean that the land will not able to be harvested for another year as well.

This kind of flooding now has complications for inflation, unemployment millions lost through
insurance, also compensation payments will cost taxpayers. Not to mention there will be the
problems for farmers trying to meet their bank payments and the overlaps create interest problems,
Nurturing the land is not required on the prairies as the think loam becomes a problem if it too
moist. Egypt and Canada, then and now two huge differences not at all something in common.