Vancouver’s safe-injection site

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
VANCOUVER — The Supreme Court of Canada will hear arguments this week about the fate of Vancouver’s safe-injection site.

Insite allows drug addicts to inject heroin under the supervision of a nurse, but the federal Conservative government wants the facility shut down.

The stakes are high because the high court’s decision will affect not only Insite, but the fate of similar sites that could open across the country.

The B.C. government says the evidence is clear — Insite saves lives.

Supporters say it also reduces the spread of HIV and hepatitis, and curbs crime and open drug use.

The federal government rejects that evidence, arguing the facility fosters addiction and runs counter to its tough-on-crime agenda.

The court will decide whether Insite falls under the jurisdiction of the province and whether closing it violates the rights of drug addicts.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's a two edged sword, it does save lives albeit in most cases a poor quality of life and it does reduce crime. If there was proof that this site has been successful in getting anyone to quit drugs, then I would be in favour of it. The down side is the fact the site is legal is that drug use is being condoned.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah reduction of crime isn't getting tough on crime that's for sure. For that matter, getting tough on crime doesn't promise any reduction in crime at all does it? We all know of course that those people addicted to drugs are the ones out there with guns they probably wouldn't sell for more drugs, shooting innocent bystanders.

There is organized crime in every province in Canada, yet there is little going on to stop that. When are the police going to go put the Hells Angels and other MC crime organizations out of business? When do they tackle huge oil corporations that violate the laws regarding the environment and making people sick from contaminating their drinking water? Don't worry I know the answer.

Double edged sword indeed. Two junkies for the price of one while real crime doesn't miss a step.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Drug use has been with us since the caves, but drugs like heroine and crack are relatively new and require refining. Their use is often linked to the use of prescription drugs as many users are mental health patients (or should be). In most cases, drug use is a heath issue, not a criminal one and that the Supreme Court is even involved tells me that Harper and his cronies have no clue about the realities of this issue and are relying on knee jerk emotional responses to flawed opinions rampant among fundamentalists. Stupidity and ignorance will be our downfall and fundamentalists are leading the way.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yeah reduction of crime isn't getting tough on crime that's for sure. For that matter, getting tough on crime doesn't promise any reduction in crime at all does it? We all know of course that those people addicted to drugs are the ones out there with guns they probably wouldn't sell for more drugs, shooting innocent bystanders.

There is organized crime in every province in Canada, yet there is little going on to stop that. When are the police going to go put the Hells Angels and other MC crime organizations out of business? When do they tackle huge oil corporations that violate the laws regarding the environment and making people sick from contaminating their drinking water? Don't worry I know the answer.

Double edged sword indeed. Two junkies for the price of one while real crime doesn't miss a step.

Explain, please, how in-site reduces crime......

Allowing those outside the law to break the law in safety is not reduction of crime: Insite is not reducing the robbery and prostitution or whatever other crimes are done to get the means to buy drugs.....it simply provides a place to inject drugs.

I have a problem with the removal of consequences......guess what? If you are a junkie, fool enough to inject heroin and without the backbone to kick the habit, you might overdose and wind up dead in a back alley ......or with AIDS...etc.

Those are the logical consequences.....same as if you walk off the roof of a high building, the quick stop at the bottom may be harmful.

I see no reason to try to lessen the consequence of either of those acts.

BTW, I am not particularly supportive of Harper's "tough-on-crime" agenda....especially mandatory sentencing and the war on softdrugs......but you have to admit it is damned difficult for an offender to repeat while he is behind bars.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Junkies are very often mental health patients who were released from mental health facilities to fend for themselves on the streets. They started off being addicted to prescription drugs but because of lack of supervision have now fallen victim to pushers. That is one real crime that government is trying to cover up.

The other is the source of heroine - Afghanistan and one of Canada's roles over there is protecting those poppy fields that have seen production rise 100 times since occupation. That is the other real crime being covered up with this BS war on drugs and tough on crime.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/01/AR2006120101654.html

And BTW, to really reduce crime at in-sight, they should be distributing heroine and crack as well.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Junkies are very often mental health patients who were released from mental health facilities to fend for themselves on the streets. They started off being addicted to prescription drugs but because of lack of supervision have now fallen victim to pushers. That is one real crime that government is trying to cover up.

The other is the source of heroine - Afghanistan and one of Canada's roles over there is protecting those poppy fields that have seen production rise 100 times since occupation. That is the other real crime being covered up with this BS war on drugs and tough on crime.

Afghanistan Opium Crop Sets Record - washingtonpost.com

And BTW, to really reduce crime at in-sight, they should be distributing heroine and crack as well.

That actually makes more sense...........as a crime reducing strategy. But that is a sea change in government crime policy, not promoted by any party, nor defensible under the criminal law of Canada.....so it is not, and should not happen in today's Canada.

And I agree that some of the problem is those that should be in mental health facilities.

And that is a whole other topic.....

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That actually makes more sense...........as a crime reducing strategy. But that is a sea change in government crime policy, not promoted by any party, nor defensible under the criminal law of Canada.....so it is not, and should not happen in today's Canada.

And I agree that some of the problem is those that should be in mental health facilities.

And that is a whole other topic.....
Why is another topic? To me it is the topic. Government closed down the facilities. That was a crime in itself. And now they want to shut down their only safe haven? This is not dealing with crime, it is escalating it. Harper is just looking for inmates for his new mega-prisons. In this case it should be Harper and the neo-cons housed in his new facilities.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Why is another topic? To me it is the topic. Government closed down the facilities. That was a crime in itself. And now they want to shut down their only safe haven? This is not dealing with crime, it is escalating it. Harper is just looking for inmates for his new mega-prisons. In this case it should be Harper and the neo-cons housed in his new facilities.

Now be nice......

:)

Mental health facilities were shut doewn by PROVINCIAL authorities.......

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Explain, please, how in-site reduces crime......

Curbs crime.

Allowing those outside the law to break the law in safety is not reduction of crime: Insite is not reducing the robbery and prostitution or whatever other crimes are done to get the means to buy drugs.....it simply provides a place to inject drugs.

Correct.

I have a problem with the removal of consequences......guess what? If you are a junkie, fool enough to inject heroin and without the backbone to kick the habit, you might overdose and wind up dead in a back alley ......or with AIDS...etc.

So you're for people getting AIDS and overdosing? Nice.

Those are the logical consequences.....same as if you walk off the roof of a high building, the quick stop at the bottom may be harmful.

Ridiculous.

I see no reason to try to lessen the consequence of either of those acts.

Which is why you put the face to heartless conservative. It's funny how you want less and less right up until you need it then it's a right you demand.

BTW, I am not particularly supportive of Harper's "tough-on-crime" agenda....especially mandatory sentencing and the war on softdrugs......but you have to admit it is damned difficult for an offender to repeat while he is behind bars.

You know nothing about the prison system. If you did you would know there is plenty of drugs available in prison.
You're fooling no one, this is nothing more than a shot at me over my position on gun control.

Good.

Lock these douchebags up and throw away the key!

They have to be otherwise we're spending all that money on prison for nothing. Not like those really dangerous violent offenders are going to jail. Cops don't like going after them because those ****ers shoot at ya.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
They have to be otherwise we're spending all that money on prison for nothing. Not like those really dangerous violent offenders are going to jail. Cops don't like going after them because those ****ers shoot at ya.

We just gave cops a huge raise in Toronto that will cost us $30 million. It's all part of the conservative budget to save us money and keep us safe.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
We just gave cops a huge raise in Toronto that will cost us $30 million. It's all part of the conservative budget to save us money and keep us safe.

Nope that was a sucker move by a mayor with no experience running a city. Not that it has anything to do with the topic, but wait til he gets in front of the big unions and they use it against him and the city walks away from the table. Strikes will soon come after, the people will get pissed and the mayor will have fun getting reelected.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Nope that was a sucker move by a mayor with no experience running a city. Not that it has anything to do with the topic, but wait til he gets in front of the big unions and they use it against him and the city walks away from the table. Strikes will soon come after, the people will get pissed and the mayor will have fun getting reelected.

But think of the tax breaks he will promise the next time!

RESPECT FOR TAX PAYERS TO THE POWER OF 3 MOTHER ****ERS! wooooohoooo!!!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Bottom line is that the poor and those unable to defend themselves are going to be used to justify some imaginary get tough on crime scheme that has been used by politicians as a fear mongering election tactic for decades. Sadly it usually works when there is an imbalance of power in government.

But think of the tax breaks he will promise the next time!

RESPECT FOR TAX PAYERS TO THE POWER OF 3 MOTHER ****ERS! wooooohoooo!!!

Except that it will cost more.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Unforgiven;1424308]Curbs crime.

Correct.

So you're for people getting AIDS and overdosing? Nice.

Ridiculous.
Well, so far you have said absolutely nothing, and refused to support your own contention that Insite "curbs" crime...... HOW???

Unforgiven Which is why you put the face to heartless conservative. It's funny how you want less and less right up until you need it then it's a right you demand.

Ah....we have rights.....we don't have a right to a safe place to violate the law.....Geez, that's ridiculous!

Unforgiven: You know nothing about the prison system. If you did you would know there is plenty of drugs available in prison.
You're fooling no one, this is nothing more than a shot at me over my position on gun control.

I wasn't talking specifically about drugs, I know there are lots of drugs in prison......I was responding to this bit of inanity "
getting tough on crime doesn't promise any reduction in crime at all does it?" And no, I had not spared a thought to your position on gun control....to quote Anne McLellan "That debate is over" :)

Ahhh....that would be the government of Rob Ford............nothing to do with the Conservative Party of Canada or Harper....

You're losing it....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Canada has a real opportunity here. Jack Lenin has alwasy been pro-pot legalization. If revenues generated from cannabis were ear marked for harm reduction of hard drugs we wouldn't need bigger prisons or be looking for tax cuts.

It's time to get on the horn and actually talk to your MP about things that make sense and will actually work.