Is Layton's crew going to be facing bi- elections.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
From what I can gather some of the new N.D.P. M.P.s may not really want the job? How is this going to play out?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I think this is definitely a possibility considering the NDP weren't expecting to get the number of seats that they got.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
From what I can gather some of the new N.D.P. M.P.s may not really want the job?

Who wouldn't want a $150,000/y, especially the one's fresh out of college. Makes for a quick way to pay off debts and pad your resume.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
There are two important factors in this. First of all, it shows just how unimportant individual candidates are in modern elections. Voters vote for the party or the party leader rather than their local MP to be.

The second is that the fuss over whether or not the signatures on the nomination papers are genuine has little substance. The nomination papers were submitted to Elections Canada and passed muster. That means they are official regardless of what those who signed them have to say later. In other words be careful what you sign. Changing your mind later may be too late.