Pot 'cured' brain cancer: Toddler Cash Hyde's father gave him cannabis oil

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Pot 'cured' brain cancer: Toddler Cash Hyde's father gave him cannabis oil to treat tumour | News.com.au

A desperate US father gave his son cannabis oil to ease the pain of a life-threatening tumour, and now credits the drug with helping save his son's life, reports the Daily Mail.

Shortly before his second birthday, Cash Hyde was diagnosed with a serious brain tumour.

For six weeks Cash was regularly misdiagnosed with glandular fever, but looking at his ill son, his father Mike Hyde knew it was worse.

"It feels like he's dying in my arms," said Mr Hyde. "We need to take him somewhere else."

Doctors did a CAT scan and found a 4.5cm tumour wrapped around Cash's optic nerve.

They were able to remove just ten per cent of the growth in surgery and the toddler had to undergo severe chemotherapy to reduce the rest of it.

Cash's terrified parents, Mike and Kalli from Missoula, Montana, were repeatedly told their son would probably die.

The treatment had drastic side effects on Cash, including seizures and a blood infection, and left him so weak he could not lift his head.

Mr Hyde said his son had no will to eat for months, and was too sick to eat solid foods for 40 days.

As he watched his son dying before his eyes, the desperate father decided to look for another solution - medical marijuana.

Cash's doctors refused to even discuss the option with Mr Hyde, so he got authorisation from somewhere else.

Asking the doctors to wean Cash off the strong anti-nausea drugs, Mr Hyde secretly administered small doses of cannabis oil through his son's feeding tube.

The effect was almost instant.

"He hadn't eaten a thing in 40 days - and, it was really incredible to watch him take a bite of a piece of cheese. It shows that he wants to live."

Cash went through his last bought of chemotherapy with no anti-nausea medication.

Mr Hyde said the doctors were amazed.

"I wanted to tell them 'hey, he's on cannabis oil' but I was afraid they'd take it away from him."

Cash is now back home and cancer free, playing with his older brother Colty.

Medical marijuana is legal in some US states including Montana, but its use for children is extremely rare.

The US federal government and states regularly clash over differing laws regarding the medical use of the drug.

Mr Hyde told local TV news station KXLY "It's very controversial, it's very scary. But, there's nothing more scary than losing your child."

-------------------------------------

An interesting story.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Hey, if it works, why not. If only to improve the quality of life for a dying child.

Incidently, I tried some type of pill with canibus oil, had a good time, forgot all about my sore shoulder, so I'm not really sure if it actually worked or if I was just 'distracted'. *shrugs*

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Good luck on that one. I would really like to see a study showing decreased cancer rates among marijuana users.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Sadly just another anecdotal bit that will collect with all the others laying around over this subject.
We need to have real studies done on Cannabis without the outcome preselected by those who pay for the studies.
People have been saying it makes them feel better than many of the drugs prescribed by doctors. It's time we have an indepth, long term study on all the benefits of Cannabis.

Not that it matters that much as what with all the new prisons we're getting, I suspect we can spend a lot of money keeping this drug illegal.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That's an interesting story alright. I wonder if any clinical trials have investigated replacing anti-nausea with cannabis oil in conjunction with the chemo. Increased appetite, more food, better bioenergetic conditions for a body recovering from/fighting harsh cancer therapy. Seems plausible.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
More pharmacological studies need to be done on marijuana and the hundreds of compounds it contains. Marijuana does have some proven positive effects.

Marijuana can be used to control pain. Typically it is used to magnify the effect of other pain killers:
Marijuana and Pain Management

Using high levels of morphine to treat pain can lead to constipation and decreased heart rate. Both side effects can have fatal consequences. Marijuana can be used with smaller amounts of morphine and achieve the same pain killing effect while reducing the risks associated with high doses of morphine.

Also it reduces internal eye pressure and therefore is a treatment for glaucoma

Also according to this web site, marijuana is associated with reducing tumors in mice:
Clinical Uses of Marijuana

I'd consult a doctor before using marijuana to treat an illness or its symptoms.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I have doubts too. The father isn't giving the human body enough credit for healing itself. Lots of people are guilty of this.

For example, if you have influenza, your body normally cures itself. But if I ate an egg the day before I got better, I could conclude erroneously the egg cured the cold.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
No they don't and you missed my point. Often the body heals itself, and people can make erroneous conclusions about what cured their illness based on what they were doing at the time. Its far easier to conclude a therapy is ineffective than it is to conclude a therapy is effective.

While its possible that marijuana might be an effective therapy for certain types of cancers and other illness, stories like the above, prove nothing one way or the other. What we need are more studies before we can draw conclusions.

In the meantime, using marijuana on children to treat an illness without consulting a doctor is irresponsible and criminal.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm really glad this child is ok, I truly am. There really is nothing more frightening than the prospect of losing your child especially when that child is so young.

I've also no doubt about the benefits of canabis, I think the pain management capabilities are fairly well established, at least as I understand it, in the medical community.

Having said that, this is what I see when I read the article.

The story I read is actually quite different than the title of the article suggests. The titles states that the "pot" cured the cancer and that the father gave the treatment to his son to treat the cancer. What I read in the article is that the father gave this to his son to ease the symptons of the chemo (lack of appetite) and that it contributed to his recovery. In other words the contribution can be interpreted as helping to diminish the nasty side effects of the chemo.

So, the actual contents of the story are not quite as sensational as the title implies. That bothers me because it continues this trend I keep seeing in the media of taking relevant, newsworthy stories and issues and blowing them out of proportion. There is no doubt in mind that there are some people in this world that would take that headline verbatim. In fact, I'd bet real money on it. Really, as the contents of the article point out, the evidence is anecdotal at best that it played any real part in treating the actual cancer. And this in a way diminishes the very real usefulness of the substance in medical treatment.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Both your articles use the words "may".

A compound found in cannabis may stop breast cancer spreading throughout the body, US scientists believe.

Cannabis chemicals may help fight prostate cancer

You are drawing conclusions prematurely. Even the BBC article admits that if this cannabis compound proves an effective cancer therapy, its presence is insufficiently concentrated in marijuana to have a significant effect.