Now this is a real attempt, to control the media...

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Well, he could definitely have a legitimate case for being defamed if it never happened.

You can fight something like that in court if you're a public figure and you truly believe it never happened.

And you, yourself shouldn't have to worry about how successful that case would be, anyway.. You, yourself believe it never happened, but the media indisputably presented it that way. That's defamation.

I saw it, but I feel that kind of crap is, well, crap. I may not like his politics, but I don't honestly believe he was using the services of a rub and tug.

Keep in mind, that would be a hard fight for him unless it was clearly a smear campaign.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well, if he could definitely have a legitimate case for being defamed if it never happened.
It did happen.

You can fight something like that in court if you're a public figure and you truly believe it never happened.
Sure. If it never happened. But that boat sailed.

And you, yourself shouldn't have to worry about how successful that case would be, anyway.. You, yourself believe it never happened.
That's wrong, I believe he was getting a legitimate massage, because Olivia already said she was aware of the incident and thought nothing of it.

I'm sure the NDP lawyers were aware of that, before the threat, trying to stifling the media.

But feel free to shill on.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Well then if what you say is true, then that's wrong.

The lawyers will have no credence to purse the media.

And you can continue to be an relentless douchebag.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Oh, is that what you wanted, lol

"Layton's NDP lawyers, tried to unethically stifle the media."

Can you give me my 'get out of shill' pass card now? I thought the fact that I didn't fully endorse the platform was good enough for you, but I apparently have to play a game of bondage with you too now.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh, is that what you wanted, lol

"Layton's NDP lawyers, tried to unethically stifle the media."

Can you give me my 'get out of shill' pass card now? I thought the fact that I didn't fully endorse the platform was good enough for you, but I apparently have to play a game of bondage with you too now.
That was rhetorical request. I have no doubt you still think Harper controls the media, in the manner you've alluded to several times.

Wasn't that one of your many pet peeves about Harper? Your erroneous belief he controlled the media.

Seeing as Jack and his team obviously wish to silence the media, will you be preaching that around the board now?

Lawyers :roll: Anything for a buck....
I would imagine the NDP has a team on retainer.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That was rhetorical request. I have no doubt you still think Harper controls the media, in the manner you've alluded to several times.

Wasn't that one of your many pet peeves about Harper? Your erroneous belief he controlled the media.

Seeing as Jack and his team obviously wish to silence the media, will you be preaching that around the board now?

Harper has been doing it for 4 years.

This is the first I've heard of it from the left side of things.

I also think the degree and type of control is much worse on Harper's end - especially as part of the conservative platform.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Put the story into context and see why Layton's lawyers might have a case here. I was
once a news person myself in fact for a time I was a news director.
The story comes out in a fashion that at first people were led to believe there was a
measure of wrong doing here. A retired policeman is quoted with having the goods on
Layton. As the day progressed it turns out the massage establishment was duly
licenced and accredited. Therefore it was a legal facility no problem here.
Then the notes indicate there was no wrong doing and no charges laid against Layton.
That in and of itself should lead a news person to question the story, why it was
brought up, and now by whom. A retired policemens notes? hm, leads one to believe
an old retired cop is not going to suddenly share his notes with you at the end of an
election campaign without some motivation. Its like an old news man whispering in the
ear of a total stranger in the park on the last day of an election campaign.
It clearly demonstrates the media outlet has no idea about what a news story is or they
want to become part of the story for news glory themselves, never mind whether the
story had any news value.
And it gets worse. Now it turns out the RCMP are going to investigate, not Layton as some
might suspect, but the news outlet and the retired police officer, and God knows who's
door that investigation might lead to. And why would the police become involved you ask?
Not to silence the media but because, the use of a retired policeman's notes in such a
manner when there was no criminal intent or charges, is possibly a criminal breach of
trust. If a criminal breach of trust occurs it would leave the door open for Layton's Lawyers
to sue for attempting to damage his reputation.
This is not about silencing the media, its about a media outlet not being responsible and
perhaps not acting in accordance with the law. Of course SUN Media in the eyes of many
has become the FOX News of the north without a great deal of news content anyway.
Have you noticed how the respected media reacted? They paid it lip service and suggested
it was motivated by something and they set it aside. The story did not get legs, or traction
because it wasn't a news story it was purely a smear attempt and everyone saw it for what
it was. As for Sun News Media, they are a legal entity as for a serious news outlet that is
subject to question.