Ignatieff Booed In Mississauga.......

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
[Who would have thunk it/........:smile:

Ignatieff brushes off frosty welcome from hockey fans

TORONTO — Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff was booed Saturday night during a stopover at a hockey game in Mississauga, Ont.

Some fans watching the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors and the Niagara Icedogs at the Hershey centre were less than impressed with the Liberal leader, who came to catch a period of the game before heading to an Easter liturgy at a Coptic church.

Ignatieff said he believes sports fans who were engaged in a nail-biter of a playoff hockey game just booed a politician who showed up on the Jumbotron.

"Let's get the context right. We are in the middle of the third period in a closely contested game . . . and some darn politician pops his head up on the Jumbotron," he told reporters. "I'd boo, right? I mean you know. It's Saturday night. They want to watch hockey."

Conservative incumbent Rick Dykstra, who was at the arena Saturday cheering for the IceDogs tweeted: "They just introduced Iggy in Mississauga. Couldn't believe the chorus of boos. Ice Dogs and Majors fans united on one issue tonite (sic)."

Ignatieff brushes off frosty welcome from hockey fans

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
Mess with the hockey, you get told to puck off....
I agree with that statement. Hockey's an important part of Canadian Culture; like it or not.

And why are people surprised that a politician got booed? It's about time in my opinion.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I wish we were a little more grown up than that. Sure they are hockey fans and they have a
right to boo who ever they want, but the truth is if we as citizens want respect we also have
to be at least respectful. When you go to a game and you take the kids and you behave like
that you are demonstrating to your children it is alright to be rude and behave like a back
woods person. When I am at a function where a high profile person who I don't agree with,
attends I am at least respectfully polite.
Adults are all roll models like it or not and regardless of what side you are on, and failing to
recognize that, has consequences. Don't think so? I hear people everywhere saying, today
young people have no respect. little wonder, we have adults who can publicly display their
ignorance and pat themselves on the back.
Oh well everyone to their own I guess.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nowhere in the article does it say whether he spoke or not. Nor does it appear that Iggy was there to watch the game but more to get a photo op. But a hockey game is not an appropriate place to go buying votes. Neither are service clubs or other volunteer organizations.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Taxslave, these are all places to go looking for votes, in fact these groups like politicians
going there it gives these clubs, service clubs, community centers and so on status they
look for and publicity they would other wise not get. In addition politicians of all stripes
participate in helping these groups either get shared funding or promote functions that
support their community causes.
If the farm organization, which I belong to, and am on the Provincial Executive for, were
to be ignored by politicians at any level we would not be happy. As for going to a hockey
game or even a church service, that is entirely appropriate they are places of public
gathering and part of the Canadian social mosaic. Harper goes to such places and I saw
Jack Layton at Mass this morning as well. Why in the hell would such places be off limits?
In fact most people probably don't understand during an election campaign, even gated
communities and apartment buildings have to allow access to politicians regardless of
party.
The difference is some people have a basic concept of manners and then there are others
who behave like hickey backwoods people that set a terrible example as to how to behave in
public. On the other hand I would be willing to be that even in remote Alberta, or Saskatchewan
or Northern Ontario people would not behave in such a manner, so maybe it is a new form of
urbanite collective ignorance at work. End of rant

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
Nowhere in the article does it say whether he spoke or not. Nor does it appear that Iggy was there to watch the game but more to get a photo op. But a hockey game is not an appropriate place to go buying votes. Neither are service clubs or other volunteer organizations.
Going to a game for the purpose of gathering votes is rather silly. However If I was a major politician and I wanted to watch a game, dammit I'm going to watch it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
dasleeper yes I would this is about civil behaviour these people are maybe not my party
of choice in this election but they are not enemies of the state for Gods Sake.
I am a person trying to teach my older grand kids to take part in a system and actually
listen to different points of view before they blindly go cast a ballot. I have also pointed out
we live in a society that should respect the point of view of others even if we disagree.
I have a couple of grand kids who ask why vote for people who scream insults at each other
and have no respect for what I think. How do I answer that? Especially when people blindly
boo someone for showing up at a public function? It doesn't matter if he was speaking or
standing in the back of the room. How do we try to regains respect for our institutions when
adults and people who know better cannot respect our leaders or themselves by behaving
like idiots? I don't like some people running for office, but it is not constructive for me or them
to be rude or disrespectful, I just won't vote for them. I don't approve of any of our senior leaders
being booed its not the Canadian way. in my opinion

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
dasleeper yes I would this is about civil behaviour these people are maybe not my party
of choice in this election but they are not enemies of the state for Gods Sake.
I am a person trying to teach my older grand kids to take part in a system and actually
listen to different points of view before they blindly go cast a ballot. I have also pointed out
we live in a society that should respect the point of view of others even if we disagree.
I have a couple of grand kids who ask why vote for people who scream insults at each other
and have no respect for what I think. How do I answer that? Especially when people blindly
boo someone for showing up at a public function? It doesn't matter if he was speaking or
standing in the back of the room. How do we try to regains respect for our institutions when
adults and people who know better cannot respect our leaders or themselves by behaving
like idiots? I don't like some people running for office, but it is not constructive for me or them
to be rude or disrespectful, I just won't vote for them. I don't approve of any of our senior leaders
being booed its not the Canadian way. in my opinion

Thank you!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The article says he was watching the game and they showed him on the jumbotron. He was invited by both Hazel McCallion and the Mayor of Niagara. He was also downtown in Toronto where he ran into Jack Layton. The two men shook hands and continued with the Sikh celebration they were both attending.

Does Harper even appear in public anymore?
Seems on Saturday when Terry Milewski tried to ask Harper a question, he was drown out by Harper supporters at his rally. Ironically today Harper said people need to question the leaders. wtf?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
If Iggy went to the game looking for votes, he deserved to be boooed !!
I would booo him to if I saw him !!

Seems on Saturday when Terry Milewski tried to ask Harper a question, he was drown out by Harper supporters at his rally. Ironically today Harper said people need to question the leaders. wtf?
hahaha, you can see no one in the crowd likes CBC. They never booed any other reporter. Power to the people, I say !!!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Every fcking day.

Not even close. Going out in the street and meeting supporters and non-supporters alike is going out in public. Going to a prearranged invite only rally with limited and prescreened questions from journalists isn't going out in public Walter.

Liberal and NDP leaders have been doing just that. Harper hasn't.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Not even close. Going out in the street and meeting supporters and non-supporters alike is going out in public. Going to a prearranged invite only rally with limited and prescreened questions from journalists isn't going out in public Walter.

Liberal and NDP leaders have been doing just that. Harper hasn't.

Whatever.

You guys really got to get over your hatred, it's turning your brains into mush. Nazi comparisons, secret agenda's, please. Why don't you just face it, Ignatieff sucks worse than Stephane Dionne did. Maybe when Justin gets out of puberty you guy can parachute him in and take another run. Chr!st, the Liberal Party of Canada managed to find a leader who is more stuck up that than the staunchest conservative and you guys are now whining about it.

Find a Leader, find a platform, and quit acting like a bunch of self entitled twits then maybe... the rest of Canada will forgive your party's sins. Your leader sucks, your scandals still stink,s and you have piss all for ideas. That's what is wrong with your party.

I know, it's tough running a party out on a rail when you've been run out on a rail yourself, but that's what's so wonderful about the whole stone throwing-glass house thing.

The way I see Liberals sling around the Nazi crap, but would cry foul if the same was done of their party or the supporters only adds to the arrogance of your ideology. You guys want to run the Country again? Grow up and start acting like adults. The very momentum that Jack Layton has gotten out of this election should be a wake up call to Liberals and (yes) Conservatives as well. But while you guys are pissing and moaning and making Nazi comparisons and talking about hidden agenda's, your party and its arrogance is becoming less palatable to the public at large.

Time to regroup my Liberal friends.

CON 39%
LIB 26%
NDP 23%
BQ 7%
GRN 4%

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Holy crap look at our furhrer rise! With ze liberals out of the way it will be a glorious match between Mussolini and Hitler!

Ahem.. all schtick aside, you can't deny that the most important opportunity this election (a conservative majority) seems to be losing ground.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Holy crap look at our furhrer rise! With ze liberals out of the way it will be a glorious match between Mussolini and Hitler!

Worst German accent ever. You are no Werner Klemperer.

Ahem.. all schtick aside, you can't deny that the most important opportunity this election (a conservative majority) seems to be losing ground.

Yes it is looking bleak.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Whatever.

No, not whatever, it's the point. Harper isn't the leader of the people of Canada, he is the leader of his people in Canada. If he were to take questions from the public that the public chose to ask, he would have more respect from me and I suspect Canadians in general. As it is, he can't respond to even the most delicate inquires of his parties track record. I suggest that if anyone's brains have been turned to mush, you examine your own blind, unquestioning support of Harper.[/QUOTE]