How sad that it comes to this.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Toronto resident Joanne Mills woke up Good Friday morning to find four tires slashed on the family car and made the decision to remove the Liberal sign from the family’s front lawn.

It made her angry to take down her support for Liberal MP Carolyn Bennett in St. Paul’s but she told the Star Friday she’s scared.

“I had to. I can’t risk being afraid for my family,” Mills said. “In Canada you shouldn’t have to worry about lawn signs for a political party and it makes me furious.

“I attribute this to Stephen Harper’s attack ads that make people think this kind of behaviour is acceptable.”

Police from 53 Division are investigating 16 cases of cars with slashed tires and scratched paint in the area and have asked the public for help in the investigation. They said cars had their tires slashed and paint defaced between 10 and 11 p.m. Thursday night.

Mills, who has two children still at home, found her tires slashed when she went out around 9 a.m. Friday to drive her husband to the subway station. She called police, as well as Liberal headquarters in St. Paul’s, a swath of the city around Eglinton Ave. that runs from Bathurst St. to Mount Pleasant Rd.

Bennett campaign manager Lynne Steele said that one resident with slashed tires reported a neighbour yelled at her: “Vote Conservative. It wouldn’t have happened.”

Steele added there were at least two cases of cars with all four tires slashed. Some residents reported having an “L” scratched into the paint.

St. Paul's Conservative candidate Maureen Harquail, a Toronto lawyer, said in an email: “Any type of behaviour that damages property has no place in my campaign, or in my politics.”

She added: “Our campaign does not condone such behaviour and was not involved in this incident."

The weekend damage was the second run of vandalism against Liberal-marked homes in a federal election, after 2008 sprees in both St. Paul’s and Parkdale-High Park.

Steele hopes police will be able to stop the vandalism, which in 2008 continued over a weekend.

“This really is awful,” said Bennett, who was out Friday trying to calm nervous supporters. “The really spooky thing is that one guy who didn’t have a sign up had his tires slashed. But he had one on his lawn in 2008 so it looks like they are keeping track of people.

“It’s scary.”

Bennett said she understands that some people prefer the precaution of removing the signs. But one woman apparently said she was worried, but wouldn’t be intimidated by vandals. She left her sign up.

In 2008, vandals also cut brake lines, causing one man with an old model car to almost drive into a brick wall.

Police are seeking witnesses and information about a person described as male, wearing a dark leather jacket, blue pants and a white baseball cap

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Most likely teens, with no real political basis behind it at all.

I just love the way various news media will slant stories. And gullible people will pass on anything, without looking at it with a critical eye.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Holy paranoid. They're keeping track of who's ever had a Lib sign up? Give me a break.

Can someone link us to the ad that she claims condones this stuff?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Many, many years ago my tires were slashed by union thugs. At that time I was on piece work, i.e. the more I produced, the more I earned. Apparently this did not sit well with union thugs, who typically, held the belief that screwing the company and hurting those who are better than them is the honourable thing.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
How did you find out they were union thugs? Were they also hooligans or scumbags or just thugs?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
mentalflub, I think I described what lead to my tires being slashed in post #7.

I had the unmitigated nerve to look after myself and try to make as much money on piece work as I could. Like I said, this did not sit well with the union crowd that figured that coming to WORK meant coming to spend eight hours of unproductive leisure time and get paid for it.

I never wanted to be a union member. It was forced upon me. And after that tire slashing incident I made a successful effort to get out of the union, and in subsequent years I proudly worked and made a LOTS OF MONEY on overtime during strikes between 1968 and 2003. To this day I am a proud of having been a SCAB.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, so back to the topic at hand....

...does anyone have any idea what campaign commercial of Harper's called for vandalism?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I look at this a couple different ways:

- I kind of roll my eyes at the partisan manner this is being presented in: there are more parties running against the Liberals than the Conservatives and there is no evidence (in this post/story) to suggest this could not be the work of any one of them
- idiots will be idiots. It doesn't matter if its about politics, sports or something else, some people look for an excuse. Thats doesn't mean anyone associated with the cause of said idiot is guilty as well though
- this is not meant to condone the acts of the vandal(s) but if you are strong in your political convictions, don't they outweigh some things like minor vandalism? Yeah slashed tires and scratched paint are a piss off but they aren't the end of the world and they won't decide an election.

I'm not going to say anything about people who feel the need to trumpet their views on tacky signs other than to say I think they are an eye-sore and a waste of resources...