Why Yes, Mitzy Will Rip Your Face Off.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

The Canadian Press
OTTAWA—Home Depot is considering banning dogs from its stores after an Ottawa-area employee says she was viciously bitten by a Shih Tzu.

Anne Riel, 39, says she had to be rushed to hospital for emergency surgery Friday afternoon after a customer’s dog bit off the end of her nose.

The mother of two says she was working near the doors at the Home Depot store in Gloucester, east of Ottawa, when a woman came in with a Shih Tzu in her shopping cart.

Riel says she greeted the woman and bent down slightly to pet the pup when it leapt out of the cart and sank its teeth into her nose.

Riel says the dog’s owner showed little interest as a blood-soaked Riel was loaded into an ambulance and rushed to hospital.

There, doctors had to use seven stitches to sew her skin together and another two or three to reattach her left nostril.

“My nose will never be the same again,” Riel said in a telephone interview on Monday, adding that she will be seeking damages from the dog’s owner.

“God only knows how many plastic surgeries I will need to even make it look somewhat normal,” she said.

A Home Depot Canada spokesperson said the chain allows pets in its stores as long as they are under the owner’s control.

But that policy might be changing, said Tiziana Baccega, given the recent incident.

Home Depot is currently reviewing its policy on pets, and only service animals — such as guide dogs for the blind — will be allowed inside the stores if a ban is put in place.

“We want to make sure that the safety of our associates and our customers is Number One,” Baccega said.

Baccega said she’s hoping for a resolution to the issue by the end of the week.

Meanwhile, Riel says the outpouring of concern from her co-workers and from store customers has been overwhelming.

“The support has been absolutely enormous,” said Riel, who came in for her scheduled shift on Monday morning because she can’t afford to stay home sick.

City of Ottawa bylaw officers came to the store Monday morning and took Riel’s statement, she said.

They told her they will be issuing a muzzle order to the dog’s owner, as well as pressing charges that carry a fine of around $600.

By Alexandra Posadzki in Toronto

Now together with me everyone, slowly extend the back of the hand and let the dog smell you. If it is interested, it will indicate it wants you to pet it. Rinse, repeat.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
People should keep their mutts at home. Unless Mitzy has a charge-card she should be crapping in her backyard rather than bothering other shoppers.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Forget banning small dogs. I say, let's ban small dog owners. You know the people that get miniature versions of dogs (who have all the same characteristics and canine instincts of the larger varieties btw) and then proceed to treat them like some kind of doll. "It's sooo cute how he's snarling and growling and going for the jugular isn't it? Just precious!"

And I know there are a lot of piss-poor large breed owners out there too, hence the reason why so many large breeds have such terrible reputations. It's really not the dogs fault, it's the owner.

Dogs are dogs, they can be wonderful, faithful companions and protectors but they are still dogs and we need to treat them as such.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Dogs should not be in stores.

What kind of idiot brings a dog into a store?

Ummmmm do it yourselfers? lol

Actually, dogs are fine almost anywhere if they are in the right hands.
Problem is there are no shortages of dogs and idiots.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There's a reason we muzzled our 120lbs M'lute/Wolf cross when we took her off the property.

She never showed signs of aggression to people, or other dogs that didn't pose a threat.

But at 120lbs, the potential was there.

Forethought can save a lot of headache.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Have you ever worked in retail? There are people who should not be allowed in stores.
I used to work in retail, did it for years. We always used to say "Retail would be a pretty good gig if it wasn't for all the damn customers" ;)

And plenty of people brought their little holy terrors in with them (no, not their kids, but sometimes they brought them too), which is why I used to hate little dogs.

Used to. Until I got a big dog. Lab/husky mix, 1 year old "puppy" that happend to be around 100 lbs (I still have the rope burns on my hands from walk time, lol) who used to get soooo excited when he met someone new he'd be jumping up and around, tail wagging. That's when it really clicked for me. I had to work on my dog's obedience (which I did) but behaviourally same thing as I saw in little dogs. Now I had to work at control over my dogs behaviour because, although he didn't mean to, he could really hurt someone.But there is this weird disconnect between dog behaviour and little dogs for a lot of people which I just find bizarre.

Ummmmm do it yourselfers? lol

Actually, dogs are fine almost anywhere if they are in the right hands.
Problem is there are no shortages of dogs and idiots.
Actually I find the combination of "idiot" and just about anything else to always pose quite significant problems. :)

There's a reason we muzzled our 120lbs M'lute/Wolf cross when we took her off the property.

She never showed signs of aggression to people, or other dogs that didn't pose a threat.

But at 120lbs, the potential was there.

Forethought can save a lot of headache.
That's responsible dog ownership in my book. The history doesn't have to be there, but the potential is always there.

I just wish more people would realize that same potential is there with a smaller dog as well. How many times have we read news stories about babies and toddler being attacked and mauled by Pommeranians or similar small breeds?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have no issue with dogs being in stores, but, I also, as Unf pointed out at the end of his OP, won't go shove my face in a dog's face. I assume (especially with small dogs) that they are going to bite. ****zus and their many small dog relatives are some of the most poorly bred, under trained dogs on the planet. I've seen dogs like them take after kids so many times, and so often with what this person describes... a lack of interest from their owner that the dog has bitten someone. I`ll join SLM in her statement... ban small dog owners. lol.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
So a disabled person who uses a guide dog should not shop?

I understand what you mean, but when it's a blanket statement, it's the exceptions that invalidate it.

My apologies for misleading you.

Dogs, other than guide dogs, do not belong in stores.

Nor do goats, snakes, rats, lemurs, wallabies, pigs, ferrets, or other animals.

If you are so attached to your dog that you cannot bear to be separated for a half hour, feel free to lock yourself in your basement. If I ran a store, I would not permit dogs in. Other than the reasonably obvious exception for trained guide dogs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Dogs are not accessories...

lol.... dogs have been bred to be accessories to human life for nearly as long as humans have been around. It's just a sad testament that we've now hit the point where we're so lazy and ridiculous that THIS is the most common way you see them.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
lol.... dogs have been bred to be accessories to human life for nearly as long as humans have been around.
You know what I meant, lol.

I used to think dogs were tools/equipment, full stop.

Using dogs to move merchandise, or get from point A to point B, is a shyte sight different, than wearing it like a pendant.

It's just a sad testament that we've now hit the point where we're so lazy and ridiculous that THIS is the most common way you see them.
Agreed.