Responsible Gun Owners Not So Much, Typical!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Carola Vyhnak
Urban Affairs Reporter
Ted Wilson came home recently to find two windows shot out in his 150-year-old farmhouse, a bullet hole in his truck and a bullet from a high-powered rifle outside his bedroom window.

“On any Saturday morning it sounds like a war going on in back of me,” says the horse breeder, who lives just north of Port Perry. “This situation is extremely dangerous, frustrating and very, very frightening.”

The shooting is coming from a makeshift target practice range in the provincially owned Nonquon conservation area, just over a kilometre from his home. While gunshots have been a familiar sound for years, they recently escalated when the area was promoted online as a great place to shoot, neighbours say.

“It’s a scary situation,” says Wilson’s wife Kipp. “You don’t want to be outside.”

Ted, a retired teacher, fears for passing motorists on Simcoe St. as well as hikers and schoolchildren using the education centre that’s within shooting distance of the practice range.

One resident who’s familiar with firearms found the site littered with what he called “surplus military ammo” that would have been fired illegally from an assault rifle such as an AK47.

Farmers say they’ve complained to the police, the Ministry of Natural Resources and local bylaw officials but so far, no one’s taken responsibility.

Wilson says Durham regional police, who came out to investigate after he called 911 about the gunshot damage last week, told him it’s not their jurisdiction because the land is provincially owned. And the MNR say they only have authority over hunters, he adds.

Neither police nor the ministry could be reached for comment on Sunday.

But there was plenty of activity in the area as a pair of canoeists and two hunters converged. The hunters from Pickering said they were going to shoot foxes after a little target practice.

With a .44 magnum in their arsenal, “Steve,” who refused to give his last name, insisted they were responsible outdoorsmen engaged in “safe and legal” activities.

But their presence rattled Nick Leveille, 23, who had just finished a canoe ride with his buddy on the Nonquon River.

“Me and my friend were like, wow, we better start honking the horn because we’re going to get shot,” said Leveille, who lives nearby.

“Bullets travel everywhere and there’s nothing stopping them,” he said on a rise overlooking damaged trees and ground strewn with shot-up pieces of wood and beer cans. “Someone’s gonna get hurt.”

One homeowner, who feared retaliation if she identified herself, fumed about a shot that whizzed over her husband’s head last month.

“It sounds like there’s a militia over there,” she said. “These people have no concern. They’re using high-powered weapons to shoot across private property.”

Cindy Stunden was shocked to find out she had been in the line of fire when the bullet hit Wilson’s truck.

“I’m right across the street. I was working with my 3-year-old stallion in the paddock that day,” she said.

Stunden, who frequently rides her horses in the area — always wearing orange — said she fears for the safety of her young daughter and mother.

“We’re literally in the line of fire.”

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Provincial land is within the jurisdiction of the Ontario Provincial Police and no shooting of firearms is allowed on public land unless in possession of a valid hunting license or the area is an accredited shooting range...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Carola Vyhnak
Urban Affairs Reporter
Ted Wilson came home recently to find two windows shot out in his 150-year-old farmhouse, a bullet hole in his truck and a bullet from a high-powered rifle outside his bedroom window.

“On any Saturday morning it sounds like a war going on in back of me,” says the horse breeder, who lives just north of Port Perry. “This situation is extremely dangerous, frustrating and very, very frightening.”

The shooting is coming from a makeshift target practice range in the provincially owned Nonquon conservation area, just over a kilometre from his home. While gunshots have been a familiar sound for years, they recently escalated when the area was promoted online as a great place to shoot, neighbours say.

“It’s a scary situation,” says Wilson’s wife Kipp. “You don’t want to be outside.”

Ted, a retired teacher, fears for passing motorists on Simcoe St. as well as hikers and schoolchildren using the education centre that’s within shooting distance of the practice range.

One resident who’s familiar with firearms found the site littered with what he called “surplus military ammo” that would have been fired illegally from an assault rifle such as an AK47.

Farmers say they’ve complained to the police, the Ministry of Natural Resources and local bylaw officials but so far, no one’s taken responsibility.

Wilson says Durham regional police, who came out to investigate after he called 911 about the gunshot damage last week, told him it’s not their jurisdiction because the land is provincially owned. And the MNR say they only have authority over hunters, he adds.

But there was plenty of activity in the area as a pair of canoeists and two hunters converged. The hunters from Pickering said they were going to shoot foxes after a little target practice.

With a .44 magnum in their arsenal, “Steve,” who refused to give his last name, insisted they were responsible outdoorsmen engaged in “safe and legal” activities.

But their presence rattled Nick Leveille, 23, who had just finished a canoe ride with his buddy on the Nonquon River.

“Me and my friend were like, wow, we better start honking the horn because we’re going to get shot,” said Leveille, who lives nearby.

“Bullets travel everywhere and there’s nothing stopping them,” he said on a rise overlooking damaged trees and ground strewn with shot-up pieces of wood and beer cans. “Someone’s gonna get hurt.”

One homeowner, who feared retaliation if she identified herself, fumed about a shot that whizzed over her husband’s head last month.

“It sounds like there’s a militia over there,” she said. “These people have no concern. They’re using high-powered weapons to shoot across private property.”

Cindy Stunden was shocked to find out she had been in the line of fire when the bullet hit Wilson’s truck.

“I’m right across the street. I was working with my 3-year-old stallion in the paddock that day,” she said.

Stunden, who frequently rides her horses in the area — always wearing orange — said she fears for the safety of her young daughter and mother.

Gee whiz, people drive fast too, you know, the world is full of idiots.

Quick fix, next time they hear shooting, just hop on over there and make sure the boys are doing it safe. If you are afraid of peeing your pants, take a couple of neighbours with you......I wouldn't hesitate for a second.....

Or, if you get any trouble, take vehicle license numbers, call the local police, and have them wander out. Dangerous use of a firearm is a criminal offense.

Oh, the stuff you highlighted? It simply shows you have NO idea what you are talking about. Nor does their guy that is "familiar with firearms" lol. Surplus 7.62 x 39mm (AK47) ammunition is available for sale in Canada because it is perfectly legal. To name just three of several, the Ruger Mini 30, the Ruger 77 bolt action rifle, and the SKS are all chambered in that round, and are not only perfectly legal, but good inexpensive deer rifles. Surplus ammo means lots of practice.

A .44 Magnum??? Oh the HORROR!

ROTFLMAO.

The .44 Mag is considerably less powerful, and with considerably less effective range than the great majority of hunting rifles.......it is a pistol round, and really a relative popgun when chambered in a long gun.

Why would Steve give his last name? Who gave this idiot the right to challenge people engaged in lawful activity? Steve was being polite just speaking with the lady....and notice, he didn't shoot her. :)

"Feared retaliation"?? Really??? Gee whiz, that is kind of .....paranoid, isn't it?

This is really one of the worst pieces of brain-dead fluff I've ever seen in print. I certainly hope the author does not imagine herself a journalist........

I have known and shot with hundreds of people, and yes, I have seen some atrocious gun handling. However, I have NEVER met a shooter that would not be horrified at the idea their rounds were putting people at risk...........

Just go out and talk to the boys........all it takes. Don't be an arsehole, they undoubtedly do not realize what they are doing........

And like DaSleeper says below, if you get trouble, call the provincial police....

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Carola Vyhnak
Urban Affairs Reporter

Typical! - of just what is this typical?????? You cherry pick one instance of possible improper gun activity and baldly state that this this typical of responsible gun owners - hardly. Really, you're credibility is just a tiny bit suspect here.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Has anybody suggested putting up berms/barriers so there are no stray rounds getting out of a designated area. It's probably illegal but if they had a few vehicles shot up they would probable want a remedy pretty fast.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Has anybody suggested putting up berms/barriers so there are no stray rounds getting out of a designated area. It's probably illegal but if they had a few vehicles shot up they would probable want a remedy pretty fast.
The vat scandalizes the gratuitous cabinet. Mhz chews over an adult. The anguish paces berms above an ambassador. Will Mhz punt? The fiddle hunts near an afternoon sniff.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Typical! - of just what is this typical?????? You cherry pick one instance of possible improper gun activity and baldly state that this this typical of responsible gun owners - hardly. Really, you're credibility is just a tiny bit suspect here.

It is. These guys shoot holes in cars, windows, homes and have no idea what is just beyond what they are shooting at.
Each and every one of them knows they are breaking the law of they are legal hunters. It's not a range and it's being treated like on without any of the inspection or permitting that is required for a range. That they are shooting someone's farm seems to fall outside your comprehension here.

I don't care what you think you're doing, if your bullets are hitting someones home then you're breaking the law. I have no idea why the few of you think you can argue this point?

As for Colpy, he has lost any credibility he might have had once he mentioned having his AK47 taken off him by the authorities. Like you can have one of those. Give me a break.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Sure he is, if you give up on reality and logic.

Did I hurt your feelings yesterday buddy?

Being pro gun, doesn't mean your pro stupid.

Amature stupid?