Schweinehund!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
What bunch of fcuken Nazis!

THORNHILL—All party leaders are urging voters — especially young voters — to turn out in droves to cast a ballot on May 2.

But only one party appears to have an interest in driving down the participation of 18-to-24-year-olds in this campaign, says an expert on youth voting patterns. And now the Conservative Party is facing an allegation of election tampering after trying to have 700 votes cast by students earlier this week at the University of Guelph declared null and void.

The Tories say that the advance voting station — an initiative specifically designed to increase young voters’ participation in this campaign — was not authorized by Elections Canada and was littered with opposition party campaign material. The Liberals say officials with Guelph Conservative candidate Marty Burke illegally filmed voters and then tried to snatch away the ballot box, a great big election no-no.

“Our concern is simply that the rules for advance polling, that all the rules of the election be respected and that is our sole concern,” said Conservative Leader Stephen Harper.

Elections Canada said in a statement that the on-campus polling station, where normally strict voting rules are more relaxed, was the work of a “well-intentioned returning officer” who organized a sanctioned but not pre-authorized vote.

They won’t be holding anymore advanced balloting at the university in the future, but all of the votes cast will be considered valid.

In a riding where the Tories lost to the Liberals by just 1,792 votes in the 2008 election, those 700 votes matter. In the dozens of other ridings across the country where the vote count will be equally tight, experts say the Tory campaign is trying to drive down the participation of those who can be expected to vote for other parties.

That effort has been backed up by Harper’s stump speech, which complains about an unnecessary election that nobody wants.

“When you say something like that, the people who are core committed voters will still, of course, turn out but people who are on the fence are more likely to stay home,” said Paul Howe, a political science professor at the University of New Brunswick.

“We know from the numbers that older people are much more the committed voters and younger people are less committed, and so clearly it works to the Conservatives’ advantage because their support is concentrated among older people.”

The NDP is a traditional favourite of young voters, while the Liberals are specifically targeting youth with a post-secondary education subsidy they’ve made a centrepiece of their platform. The Bloc Québécois as well launched a section of their platform specifically targeting the young on Friday.

“I have been saying, ‘Let’s get more students involved, let’s not suppress the vote and let’s make respect for democracy a central part of what we expect from a prime minister,” Ignatieff said Friday at a campaign stop in Ottawa.

NDP Leader Jack Layton called for an investigation into Tory “intimidation and harassment.”

“We must encourage youth to vote, not prevent them from voting,” he said in Montreal.

Howe, an expert on youth voting patterns, noted that just 37.4 per cent of Canadians aged 18 to 24 participated in 2008, and there is a specific risk that those same eligible young voters will miss their chance this time around. The university school year is ending just as politicians head into the home stretch of the campaign.

“That’s definitely going to hurt,” Howe said.

The newest phenomenon in the 41st general election is the so-called Vote Mob — flocks of students dressed in red and white, sometimes draped literally in the Canadian flag — who show up at campaign events with the express purpose of boosting voter turnout, specifically among youth.

The Tories initially considered members of this group hostile and turned away several who attempted to attend Harper’s rallies.

But after the lack of public access to Conservative events became one of the central issues of the campaign in Week 2, party officials admitted a dozen members of a Vote Mob into a rally in Hamilton.

They listened attentively and later met privately with Harper, an encounter the Conservative leader’s press secretary promptly noted on Twitter.

“We are all concerned about the gradual fall we’re seeing in voting rates,” Harper said Friday. “Sometimes I know for ordinary people it’s off-putting but let’s remember that at its heart we have the right (to vote) in this country that our ancestors fought for … People around the world continue to fight for that right. So I encourage everyone to consider it importantly and to exercise it.”

With files from Richard J. Brennan and Joanna Smith

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Was the voting station littered with party propaganda? That's in violation of the law and the Conservatives are taking the law's side. Don't you people often complain that the Conservatives have been flouting the law all along while in office? Now you're spinning this to make it look like they're suppressing the vote by enforcing rules set in place which are meant to make the election fair. If Conservatives plastered a polling station with their posters and it was the Liberals and the NDP complaining, you'd be calling the Conservatives Nazis for violating election law, wouldn't you?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What would be stopping the Conservatives from posting (or littering) opposition material to get a station disqualified in a place they were well aware they would lose?

If somebody wants to vote ahead of time Revenue Canada has a secure website where the results could be kept very safe until election fay. Use the same ID you have for tax returns. That way you do it from home where you are the only influence. They could do the same on election day also and eliminate public gatherings totally (and the errors and intimidation ,etc)

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Was the voting station littered with party propaganda? That's in violation of the law and the Conservatives are taking the law's side. Don't you people often complain that the Conservatives have been flouting the law all along while in office? Now you're spinning this to make it look like they're suppressing the vote by enforcing rules set in place which are meant to make the election fair. If Conservatives plastered a polling station with their posters and it was the Liberals and the NDP complaining, you'd be calling the Conservatives Nazis for violating election law, wouldn't you?

Elections Canada takes care of the law enforcement when it comes to election issued not the Conservative Party. You aren't allowed to video people voting, intimidate them and you definitely don't try and grab a ballot box. Which is what the Conservative Party member attempted to do. As it points out in the article. If a polling station was plastered with Conservative posters, then I would notify elections Canada and let them deal with it as that's who is in charge here. That's the law. That it was a university advanced polling station, the rules are relaxed some what. That it was organized by an “well-intentioned returning officer” who organized a sanctioned but not pre-authorized vote.

So you tell me who is acting like a Nazi, the returning officer who set it up or Guelph Conservative candidate Marty Burke who filmed voters and tried to snatch away the ballot box?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all my understanding is the polling booth may not have been sanctioned by
elections Canada either, in that case the polling station may not be a legal one as
all booths have to be sanctioned by that body its the law and always has been.
Tories should not have the booths plastered with signs that is not legal for any party
to do that. If that happened, the Conservatives don't know their own laws as they are
the governing party it does not make the Nazis it makes them incompetent.
As for other parties complaining they are not Nazis either, they are protesting against
alleged election infractions. It is fine to condemn something you think is wrong but it
is another to be way over the top about it. Besides if it were in Quebec one could
understand as the old Union National Party, the former conservative party in Quebec
used to steal the ballot boxes all the time if you believe history.
This whole thing is a tempest in a tea pot the votes won't count because the polling
station was not valid in the first place.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
First of all my understanding is the polling booth may not have been sanctioned by
elections Canada either, in that case the polling station may not be a legal one as
all booths have to be sanctioned by that body its the law and always has been.
Tories should not have the booths plastered with signs that is not legal for any party
to do that. If that happened, the Conservatives don't know their own laws as they are
the governing party it does not make the Nazis it makes them incompetent.
As for other parties complaining they are not Nazis either, they are protesting against
alleged election infractions. It is fine to condemn something you think is wrong but it
is another to be way over the top about it. Besides if it were in Quebec one could
understand as the old Union National Party, the former conservative party in Quebec
used to steal the ballot boxes all the time if you believe history.
This whole thing is a tempest in a tea pot the votes won't count because the polling
station was not valid in the first place.

Then what you want to do is read the article. Specifically the part about it being a sanctioned polling station. You should read the article before posting.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Elections Canada takes care of the law enforcement when it comes to election issued not the Conservative Party. You aren't allowed to video people voting, intimidate them and you definitely don't try and grab a ballot box. Which is what the Conservative Party member attempted to do.

See this where you toss out all integrity in exchange for partisan hackery. My comment was about how the polling station violated the law by having party propaganda, you ignore thatand spin it back against the Conservatives.The Conservative member in question broke the law when trying to confront a polling station that was breaking the law. That is not relevant to the validity of the votes. It is partisan spinning and you should have more integrity than that if you're trying to defend the democratic process as you claim to be doing.

The question is: was that polling station conducted in a way in keeping with election law? If there were political party posters plastered around the station then it was not.

If a polling station was plastered with Conservative posters, then I would notify elections Canada and let them deal with it as that's who is in charge here. That's the law.

At least you agree that it is against the law. So why aren't you outraged over that? Instead you're outraged that the Conservatives are outraged about it.

So you tell me who is acting like a Nazi, the returning officer who set it up or Guelph Conservative candidate Marty Burke who filmed voters and tried to snatch away the ballot box?

Can you be a mature person and not equate your political opponents with Nazis?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The Tories say that the advance voting station — an initiative specifically designed to increase young voters’ participation in this campaign — was not authorized by Elections Canada and was littered with opposition party campaign material. The Liberals say officials with Guelph Conservative candidate Marty Burke illegally filmed voters and then tried to snatch away the ballot box, a great big election no-no.
Well there ya go, the station was illegal, so there is no Elections Canada by the Cons.

That's just Unf, he's doing it for effect, for a certain couple buddies benefit, lol, not because he actually believes it.

That's how he rolls.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
See this where you toss out all integrity in exchange for partisan hackery. My comment was about how the polling station violated the law by having party propaganda, you ignore thatand spin it back against the Conservatives.The Conservative member in question broke the law when trying to confront a polling station that was breaking the law. That is not relevant to the validity of the votes. It is partisan spinning and you should have more integrity than that if you're trying to defend the democratic process as you claim to be doing.

I made no such claim at all. I claimed the Conservative Party and the candidate are pig dogs and Naziesk in the reaction to what the Conservative candidate claimed was a violation of the elections laws. Taking the law into your own hands is against the law. Further, the polling station is run by an official of Elections Canada, if there is an allegation, then there are channels it goes through to be resolved.

Just because you make an allegation of voter fraud, doesn't mean that all the votes that have been cast are now void. It's not his call to make. That he attempted to take the ballot box, thinking it was holding votes that would reduce his chances of winning is exactly Nazi like. Calling a scum bag a scum bag isn't partisan. My integrity is just fine. You should consider your own in that you feel it best to form a strawman argument rather than address simply what was written.

The question is: was that polling station conducted in a way in keeping with election law? If there were political party posters plastered around the station then it was not.

Yet it says in quote from Elections Canada that some rules are relaxed. Not tossed out, just relaxed. Quoting Elections Canada: "They won’t be holding anymore advanced balloting at the university in the future, but all of the votes cast will be considered valid." Thus a ruling made that the polling station was not, as you claim illegal, but in fact legal and at the point this all broke loose, condoned by Elections Canada. So as it tuns out, The Conservative Candidate first illegally videoed voters voting in a condoned polling station, attempted to snatch away a ballot box, that is later judged by the only organization vested with that authority to be both condoned and legal.

At least you agree that it is against the law. So why aren't you outraged over that? Instead you're outraged that the Conservatives are outraged about it.

Again, you feel you need to tell me what I am outraged about so that you're opinion of it is valid. You're wrong. Suck it up and try to do better next time. I am outraged that a Conservative candidate chose to take the law into his own hands, break the law and attempt to stop some 700 people, eligible to vote from their rights guaranteed under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Not to put too fine a point on it.

Sure, if they don't act in a way that is Nazi like.

In turn I would ask that you yourself act like a mature person and read what is written, ask questions if you don't understand it, and not just whip off some emotional, amature smackdown without getting your facts straight first.
Can you do that? Thanks pet. ;-)

Well there ya go, the station was illegal, so there is no Elections Canada by the Cons.

Oops. You should reread the article mate. If the votes are valid, how can the polling station, which was condoned and run by a returning officer be illegal? Because some candidate say so?

That's just Unf, he's doing it for effect, for a certain couple buddies benefit, lol, not because he actually believes it.

That's how he rolls.

It's a fair cop. lol

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oops. You should reread the article mate. If the votes are valid, how can the polling station, which was condoned and run by a returning officer be illegal? Because some candidate say so?
If the rules were not properly adhered to, then the ballots should be void.

Or do you disagree in following the proper procedures?

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon

Good on you Corduroy.

I agree with your point of view.

I mean was the polling station legit or not is the question?
Spinning it for political gain is par for the course on this web site.

I dont recall advance polling sites when I was at Uni.
I stood in line and voted with the rest of the plebes at a set time and place.

And the real problem with this particular poll is the lack of scrutineers.
I mean the Lib one was there.
But the Con was somehow "not notified" , imagine that!
Furthermore the Liberal scrutineer that was there left on numerous occasions.
Thus the " Lib campaign material" on site cannot be confirmed.

Plus the dipstick who autherized the poll had no authority to do so.
But he was part of the spirit of the "Liberal flash mob" thing.

It's just so wrong on so many levels.

Pitch the votes.
Let the 7,000 or so students who voted, vote again.

It was illegal.
Chuck the next pinhead who does this again in prison for six months.

Or perhaps we let folks fire up polling stations at will.
Just like in good old mother Russia.

Imagine polling stations in the union halls at times and dates dictated by the Dippers.
Or perhaps at gun ranges, Legion halls and military bases at times and dates dictated by the Cons.

Trex

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Their a known Liberal/NDP strong hold Trex. It's a great place to go and illicit votes for the left.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If they were "Nazi like" you'd be breathing Zyklon B.
What does head-lice treatments have to do with Canadian politics.

(in part)
Dr. Tesch admitted his connection with Zyklon B and its commercial development, as a result of his efforts, into a useful, effective fumigant. He discussed its use in fumigation chambers to fumigate clothing and the necessity of simultaneous bathing to kill body lice if people were being deloused See 56. to prevent typhus epidemics. In this regard, he pointed out that Gentiles and Jews from the eastern regions were equally afflicted with typhus-carrying lice. He denied vehemently, however, every time he was questioned about it, ever having recommended or known of the use of Zyklon B to purposely kill humans. On the contrary, he emphasized, his efforts had always been, rather, to protect humans and save their lives! In spite of all safety precautions, there had been regrettable accidents while using the lethal material, but in no way had there ever been, to his knowledge, intentional killings. If he had learned Zyklon B was being misused to kill people, he would have stopped ordering the material for the offending user immediately.

Zyklon B, Auschwitz, and Bruno Tesch

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
If the rules were not properly adhered to, then the ballots should be void.

Or do you disagree in following the proper procedures?

Yes to a degree, but there is a time for discretion and in this case, encouraging youth to get involved and vote, a mistake was made by an over eager reporting officer, they should not be discarded, though as has happened at the order of elections Canada, they will no longer have that polling station. That along with a clear discussion on what is allowed and what isn't with the reporting officer is what I think should happen. Not breaking more serious laws and attempting to snatch a ballot box.

That's why there are graduated penalties for breaking rules and the opportunity for making things right.

If they were "Nazi like" you'd be breathing Zyklon B.

Nope, you see if that were the case I would be hauling my fat ass up a beach head hunting Nazi scalps. I expect yours would be hanging from a rope along with many others.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What bunch of fcuken Nazis!

THORNHILL—All party leaders are urging voters — especially young voters — to turn out in droves to cast a ballot on May 2.

But only one party appears to have an interest in driving down the participation of 18-to-24-year-olds in this campaign, says an expert on youth voting patterns. And now the Conservative Party is facing an allegation of election tampering after trying to have 700 votes cast by students earlier this week at the University of Guelph declared null and void.

“Our concern is simply that the rules for advance polling, that all the rules of the election be respected and that is our sole concern,” said Conservative Leader Stephen Harper.

Elections Canada said in a statement that the on-campus polling station, where normally strict voting rules are more relaxed, was the work of a “well-intentioned returning officer” who organized a sanctioned but not pre-authorized vote.

They won’t be holding anymore advanced balloting at the university in the future, but all of the votes cast will be considered valid.

In a riding where the Tories lost to the Liberals by just 1,792 votes in the 2008 election, those 700 votes matter. In the dozens of other ridings across the country where the vote count will be equally tight, experts say the Tory campaign is trying to drive down the participation of those who can be expected to vote for other parties.

That effort has been backed up by Harper’s stump speech, which complains about an unnecessary election that nobody wants.

“When you say something like that, the people who are core committed voters will still, of course, turn out but people who are on the fence are more likely to stay home,” said Paul Howe, a political science professor at the University of New Brunswick.

“We know from the numbers that older people are much more the committed voters and younger people are less committed, and so clearly it works to the Conservatives’ advantage because their support is concentrated among older people.”

The NDP is a traditional favourite of young voters, while the Liberals are specifically targeting youth with a post-secondary education subsidy they’ve made a centrepiece of their platform. The Bloc Québécois as well launched a section of their platform specifically targeting the young on Friday.

“I have been saying, ‘Let’s get more students involved, let’s not suppress the vote and let’s make respect for democracy a central part of what we expect from a prime minister,” Ignatieff said Friday at a campaign stop in Ottawa.

NDP Leader Jack Layton called for an investigation into Tory “intimidation and harassment.”

“We must encourage youth to vote, not prevent them from voting,” he said in Montreal.

Howe, an expert on youth voting patterns, noted that just 37.4 per cent of Canadians aged 18 to 24 participated in 2008, and there is a specific risk that those same eligible young voters will miss their chance this time around. The university school year is ending just as politicians head into the home stretch of the campaign.

“That’s definitely going to hurt,” Howe said.

The newest phenomenon in the 41st general election is the so-called Vote Mob — flocks of students dressed in red and white, sometimes draped literally in the Canadian flag — who show up at campaign events with the express purpose of boosting voter turnout, specifically among youth.

The Tories initially considered members of this group hostile and turned away several who attempted to attend Harper’s rallies.

But after the lack of public access to Conservative events became one of the central issues of the campaign in Week 2, party officials admitted a dozen members of a Vote Mob into a rally in Hamilton.

They listened attentively and later met privately with Harper, an encounter the Conservative leader’s press secretary promptly noted on Twitter.

“We are all concerned about the gradual fall we’re seeing in voting rates,” Harper said Friday. “Sometimes I know for ordinary people it’s off-putting but let’s remember that at its heart we have the right (to vote) in this country that our ancestors fought for … People around the world continue to fight for that right. So I encourage everyone to consider it importantly and to exercise it.”

With files from Richard J. Brennan and Joanna Smith
Why are laws relaxed - The law was not enforced correctly according to Elections Canada. Since when do they have the authority to overide clearly laid out laws.
Those votes should be disqualified - Did not follow the law. So saury, so sad, off to the shredder.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Why are laws relaxed - The law was not enforced correctly according to Elections Canada. Since when do they have the authority to overide clearly laid out laws.
Those votes should be disqualified - Did not follow the law. So saury, so sad, off to the shredder.

Mostly because they were trying to get youth to vote, universities aren't occupied by the most mature people all the time, and Elections Canada make the rules not laws pertaining to how elections are conducted.

Where a polling station can be is an example of a rule. Stealing a ballot box because you think it is filled with votes for your opponent is an example of a law.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Mostly because they were trying to get youth to vote, universities aren't occupied by the most mature people all the time, and Elections Canada make the rules not laws pertaining to how elections are conducted.

Where a polling station can be is an example of a rule. Stealing a ballot box because you think it is filled with votes for your opponent is an example of a law.
The 1st infraction is directly connected to the events that followed. The Polling Station was in violation of the law. That was clear. Why did Elections Canada take a pass on this. is it partisan, who knows they have been litigating with the Cons in court. Regardless the law - The law was violated.

Blaming it on Students, really, Polling Officer all receive the same training. He/ She choose not to adhere to the law.

He/ She should be charged as such because their action, deliberate or not cost approx 700 people their Right to Vote.

Do we follow the Law or make it up as we go on?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The 1st infraction is directly connected to the events that followed. The Polling Station was in violation of the law. That was clear. Why did Elections Canada take a pass on this. is it partisan, who knows they have been litigating with the Cons in court. Regardless the law - The law was violated.

Blaming it on Students, really, Polling Officer all receive the same training. He/ She choose not to adhere to the law.

He/ She should be charged as such because their action, deliberate or not cost approx 700 people their Right to Vote.

Do we follow the Law or make it up as we go on?

So now Elections Canada is in contempt of the Conservative Party? Oh please.

Then what should Marty Burke suffer as penalty for shooting video of voters in the polling station and attempting to steal the ballot box?