The Debate is better than I thought

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Tonight the early going does not indicate any movement however I think Harper
is on the defensive because he has no annimation. Harper is doing a good job
of controlling his temper. Iggy is actually doing better than I thought he would.
Jack is doing surprisingly well, and Dueceppe is pushing hard on the issues.
Harper is polished and that is his problem tonight, he repeats the sketchy facts,
Iggy leads with his straight out themes without talking much about what he would
do.
Interesting because I think we will in fact see the direction campaign advertising
will take. Oh I think Dueceppe just nailed Harper with the old coalition deal from
2004. This reminds me of the old McKenzie King statement Conscription yes
but not necessarily conscription. No coalition but a coalition of loose ties to throw
out the Liberals and install the Conservatives because Harper wanted to be the
Prime Minister.
Coalition is out for Iggy, and Layton is about to take advantage of it, this is a good
show, for sure.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ignatieff is doing much better than I expected, getting a little shrill at points, looked a bit of a goof on that coalition question, but I thought he'd be a John Kerry-like disaster. Harper isn't really addressing the debate. He's addressing the audience and his responses turn quickly into stump speeches. Layton is just so-so and Duceppe isn't performing as well as the last debate. I thought we was good during the last debate because he could say whatever he wants to English Canada. He doesn't need to lie like all the others. But this time, he's a little meh.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I can't believe Harper claimed a mandate from the people with 37% of the popular vote, does he think we are all idiots?

I think Jacko is doing quite well talking about some real issues.

Iggy is doing worse than I expected after watching a lot of his campaign so far.

I agree with you Cordoroy Harper is using this as a forum for stump speeches.

Wow, Harpo keeps killing himself, promoting bringing in foreign workers when our unemplyment is still so high is not good policy and most people are not going to buy that.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Wow, Harpo keeps killing himself, promoting bringing in foreign workers when our unemplyment is still so high is not good policy and most people are not going to buy that.

All the leaders claim to be pro-immigration. If you're anti-immigration you have no one to vote for.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Mr. Harper is smoking these fools!

Everyone is taking cheap shots at Mr. Harper but he hasn't given them an inch of territory! He's calm, cool, humble, and sticking to the facts and issues. A man's man!

Ignatieff and Duceppe stammer too much.

And Layton wants proportional representation? Change our whole system? Please!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am listening with some of the younger members of our family and my wife. Most of the
young like Iggy first, Layton second and Harper third. You are right though, Harper is
attempting to speak directly to the Canadian people, and its not working the reason is
simple. He is holding his temper back while becoming monotone.
My biggest surprise is Iggy is connecting with young people. The more I listen to him the
more grudging respect I have for him. I have never voted for a Liberal in my life. I have
already made up my mind I will not vote for Harper because of their social conservative
vent, as opposed to fiscal conservatism. I am being left with one of two choices, Jack
Layton or Iggy himself.
I have more confidence in the Liberal leader than Harper, however Layton is doing a better
job than I thought, even though I disagree with him on proportional representation.
The tone of this debate is actually quite good for a limited time debate.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Tonight the early going does not indicate any movement however I think Harper
is on the defensive because he has no annimation. Harper is doing a good job
of controlling his temper.

Disagree, DG - I've seen Harper look uncomfortable and this isn't that look - he actually looks like he is having a good time especially watching that little go round between Jackie and Iggy.

Iggy is actually doing better than I thought he would.

Again, I beg to disagree. :smile: Iggy looks stern and he is very strident at times - his voice rubs me the wrong way when he is haranguing Harper. And he better start talking about policy soon.

Jack is doing surprisingly well, and Dueceppe is pushing hard on the issues.

Agree on both counts. Gilles really gets down to policy debates which is very interesting to watch as he pressures his opponent for a committment on camera.

Harper is polished and that is his problem tonight, he repeats the sketchy facts,
Iggy leads with his straight out themes without talking much about what he would
do.

I hear a lot of sincerity in Harper's voice as I do in Jack's. Iggy doesn't have his policy down pat. He stutters a lot when trying to explain them.

Interesting because I think we will in fact see the direction campaign advertising
will take. Oh I think Dueceppe just nailed Harper with the old coalition deal from
2004. This reminds me of the old McKenzie King statement Conscription yes
but not necessarily conscription. No coalition but a coalition of loose ties to throw
out the Liberals and install the Conservatives because Harper wanted to be the
Prime Minister.
Coalition is out for Iggy, and Layton is about to take advantage of it, this is a good
show, for sure.

I agree, this is way more fun then I thought it would be - there have been a few good zingers.

Have to add that I give Iggy points for his answer to crime prevention, he was very effective when talking about the pivotal point of a young person's life.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Are you sure you're watching the right program????

Everyone is taking cheap shots at Mr. Harper but he hasn't given them an inch of territory! He's calm, cool, humble, and sticking to the facts and issues. A man's man!
He looks well prepared to give his spin on the issues without answering direct questions. He has already put his foot in has mouth a couple of times regarding some of his policies like temporary foreign workers and corporate tax cuts.

Iggy does look unprepared and even unfamiliar with his platform, quite different from the rest of his campaign so far. I think Gilles may just have trouble with english.

What is your problem with a true democratic representation of the people in parliament?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We will have to agree to disagree, Harper in my view is repeating parts of his stump speech
but he is calm, Iggy is doing the same to some degree except people are getting to see the
Liberal Leader in a single place. I think he will gain some points here tonight, but as time goes
on Layton is actually more animated than Iggy in my view. Tonight, Harper is not going to
carry the day anymore than anyone else.
I think the Conservative leader is doing as well as can be expected as the Prime Minister.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yeah, Harper appeals to common sense, Layton and Iggy appeal to the emotions. :smile:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Harper has scored a point here on rural gun registration on this issue I agree with him.
There is a difference between handguns and long guns. I agree that you don't go out
and hunt squirrels with a machine pistol.
I also don't like proportional representation. On immigration, I do agree we need more
not less people in Canada. What we need though, are families that want to come here
to become Canadians. We need people who understand the principles of democracy.
We need to have people who have skills the are required for the betterment of Canada.
For a long time we keep the ideal of multiculturalism alive even though it is a miserable
failure. We cannot allow people to come here and continue the old feuds and hatreds
they left behind. Multiculturalism no but an interwoven society yes based on this is the
Canadian way.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
damngrumpy;I have more confidence in the Liberal leader than Harper said:
Layton is doing a better[/SIZE]
job than I thought, even though I disagree with him on proportional representation.
The tone of this debate is actually quite good for a limited time debate.

Yep, Layton would make a good Prime Minister until someone else's money runs out. :lol:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Yep, Layton would make a good Prime Minister until someone else's money runs out. :lol:

Maybe you should give him a 5 year trial period and see. We know what Harpo can f*ck up in 7 years and we know what the Libs can f*ck up in 12 years.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Layton just scored a bunch of points (in my book) on health care - prevention, healthier eating, reducing salt, sugar etc. Now if he would just get it out of the public sector I might even vote for him. :smile:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
JLM it all depends on the kind of NDP he turns out to be. Saskatchewan New Democrats
produced sixteen balanced budgets in a row, before the Sask Party came to power.
I believe we have to be socially progressive and fiscally conservative. The problem is the
current Tory Government has made a worse mess than almost any other government in the
history of Canada. Huge deficits and they will continue for another two to four years.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Maybe you should give him a 5 year trial period and see. We know what Harpo can f*ck up in 7 years and we know what the Libs can f*ck up in 12 years.

There is only one way I'd concede to giving Layton a five year trial period- a ceiling on personal tax at what it is now. You know damn well with the N.D.P. you are going to be taxed to death. :smile:

JLM it all depends on the kind of NDP he turns out to be. Saskatchewan New Democrats
produced sixteen balanced budgets in a row, before the Sask Party came to power.
I believe we have to be socially progressive and fiscally conservative. The problem is the
current Tory Government has made a worse mess than almost any other government in the
history of Canada. Huge deficits and they will continue for another two to four years.

True, but Canada did as well as any country in the world during the downturn of 2008- 09, not to mention a lot of our mess was tied to the U.S. I don't think it's fair to condemn Harper for that.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
There is only one way I'd concede to giving Layton a five year trial period- a ceiling on personal tax at what it is now. You know damn well with the N.D.P. you are going to be taxed to death. :smile:

I think that would depend on your income. I doubt anyone of them increasing taxes on the poor or the working poor (incomes less than $60k combined). Harper has to increase somewhere to make up for $6 billion if he calims he can reduce the deficit but I highly doubt he can do that given his record.