France starts ban on full-face veil

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
PARIS - France’s ban on full face veils, a first in Europe, went into force on Monday, making anyone wearing the Muslim niqab or burqa in public liable to a fine of 150 euros ($216) or lessons in French citizenship.
The ban has been criticized in France and elsewhere, but mainstream Muslim groups — which had a six-month grace period after the law was passed to explain it to their supporters — opted not to protest at its entry into force.
“We’ve already had our debate about the law and now our position is clear: we respect French law 100 percent,” said a spokesman for the French Council of the Muslim Faith.
France’s five-million-strong Muslim minority is Western Europe’s largest, but fewer than 2,000 women are believed actually to wear a full face veil. Many still oppose the law, however, on the grounds of the precedent it sets.
President Nicolas Sarkozy’s centre-right government, which pushed the law through parliament in October, rolled out a public relations campaign with posters, pamphlets and a web site to explain the ban and how it will be enforced.

France starts ban on full-face veil | World | News | Toronto Sun

Very sad.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
This is appropriate. Firstly, you can't have people walking around, wandering into markets or stores etc with there faces covered, concealed from their security cameras.
And the covering of the face has nothing to do with Islam, it's a tradition that originated with the nomadic tribes of the Arabian desert, who needed protection from the sand and dust. Only fundamentalists like the Taliban think covering of women's faces should be mandatory.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It was to stop the same gun-play that dogged the old West when a gal would show her ankle (even accidentally) the men started to whittle down the 'competition' by killing them.

I gave her a greenie....I couldn't help it!!!
It just happened to off-set Bears red one, thanks. Next time I'll post it as a joke. lol

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't know, nor do I care if France has a constitution.

Here in Canada, we have a Charter of Rights and Freedoms, that I hold dear.

My opinion of the burqa is, that it's an archaic device to subjugate women.

The Charter, trumps my opinion, I believe in Freedom of Expression, full stop.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I don't know, nor do I care if France has a constitution.

Here in Canada, we have a Charter of Rights and Freedoms, that I hold dear.

My opinion of the burqa is, that it's an archaic device to subjugate women.

The Charter, trumps my opinion, I believe in Freedom of Expression, full stop.

I must admit that I thought you were of a different opinion having seen your comment at the bottom of the OP. When you typed "very sad" I thought you meant that it was sad that there was going to be a ban. Oops!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What do you mean next time? Aren't all your posts a joke/punchline all wrapped up in one?
Didn't you get the one in the reply to Colpy? Apparently not in that you are asking a question about something you say you already have the answer to.

What are the optional dress codes that would be acceptable for the Gov and for the Muslims, a full-face radiation mask? Might I suggest the old banned garments be sent to Japan where they should be mandating no exposed skin. How ironic.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I must admit that I thought you were of a different opinion having seen your comment at the bottom of the OP. When you typed "very sad" I thought you meant that it was sad that there was going to be a ban. Oops!
You were right the first time. It is sad, it shouldn't be banned. I have no idea what Frances constitution says. But I hope that Canada does not follow suit. It would be a sad, sad day in Canada, if we simply just chuck the Charter.

Didn't you get the one in the reply to Colpy? Apparently not in that you are asking a question about something you say you already have the answer to.

What are the optional dress codes that would be acceptable for the Gov and for the Muslims, a full-face radiation mask? Might I suggest the old banned garments be sent to Japan where they should be mandating no exposed skin. How ironic.
Get hep, and fixed. If you procreate, Canada is doomed.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
You were right the first time. It is sad, it shouldn't be banned. I have no idea what Frances constitution says. But I hope that Canada does not follow suit. It would be a sad, sad day in Canada, if we simply just chuck the Charter.

I am afraid I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that point.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Get hep, and fixed. If you procreate, Canada is doomed.
I would think a 20 year court case would be a greater thraet to Canada than some AC on a chat forum. Remember that door that left you and vanity alone in your joke thread. That same door just shut for you on this thread. How sad is it when you don't even recognize your own box?

Later.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I am afraid I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that point.
And thankfully, you can, freely and without fear.

I would think a 20 year court case would be a greater thraet to Canada than some AC on a chat forum.
AC?

Ass Crammer?

Absent Commonsense?

Anal Chamber?

Arrogant C***?

Which is it that you claim you are?

Remember that door that left you and vanity alone in your joke thread. That same door just shut for you on this thread.
Stop making promises you won't keep.

How sad is it when you don't even recognize your own box?
I don't feel sorry for you at all.

Stop making threats.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This would never fly here, Charter guarantees fundamental freedom of religion. If they tried it, and I don't see that ever happening, I can't see the SCC upholding it.

Personally I'd like to see the burka go the way of the dodo.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out though.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
As I see it's they just love Halloween so dang much, it's ghost costumes all year long.

I wouldn't mind getting one of those hats though, and maybe the linen long shirt and pants. I already have a vest so I could totally rock that look with my new lord boards.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Personally I'd like to see the burka go the way of the dodo.

I'd like to see it made illegal for men to wear thongs.

Honestly, if you don't like burqas, maybe you shouldn't wear them.

If a similar law was implemented in Canada, I would think that snowmobilers would get a little upset.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'd like to see it made illegal for men to wear thongs.

Honestly, if you don't like burqas, maybe you shouldn't wear them.

If a similar law was implemented in Canada, I would think that snowmobilers would get a little upset.
Only female fundamentalist muslim snowmobilers would get upset.

And I support you on the thongs.