Fat Tax

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Based on what I see of the American population on TV, I don't think Arizona is the only state considering such a tax.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Governors can propose all the cockamamy schemes they want... it will never fly. They'll just quietly up the tax on cigarettes to make up the difference.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Based on what I see everywhere in Canada, if such a law was enforced here, enough taxes could be collected to pay off the national debt.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
So do Anorexic people get a credit or fine? I can see drinking being the cause of some of the health problems faced by Americans in Arizona. Och how about a $200 fine for anyone having a heart attack? Man you could really rack in some cash on your last term in office with this stuff. Arizona seems to be a place with a lot of people angry about other people and how they judge them.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Ever been to Disney?

Fat slobs walking around eating their deep fried Turkey legs with grease running down their chin.

It's a sign that a nation has done well for itself but also explains the rapid decline in the US as well.

Ever been to the Canadian National Exhibition? Same thing, slobbering Canucks with melted butter running down their faces, the US doesn't have a monopoly on sloths.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I love the idea..........................BUT with a twist, tax the perpetrators who sell subversive products to unsuspecting victims. :smile:

I much prefer that idea. Especially since obesity itself isn't what causes the worst of the health problems. Bad diet and lack of activity are what causes the health issues, and SOME people can get away with those and still be skinny. How often do you hear people say "but he was so slim" when someone's heart finally explodes? Why should they be immune from these taxes simply because they didn't show all the symptoms of their lifestyle that people expect?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Ever been to the Canadian National Exhibition? Same thing, slobbering Canucks with melted butter running down their faces, the US doesn't have a monopoly on sloths.

Never said they did.

However I see it much more there than here.....we are catching up though.

Where I don't see it much is Europe and Asia, they live more within their means.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I much prefer that idea. Especially since obesity itself isn't what causes the worst of the health problems. Bad diet and lack of activity are what causes the health issues, and SOME people can get away with those and still be skinny. How often do you hear people say "but he was so slim" when someone's heart finally explodes? Why should they be immune from these taxes simply because they didn't show all the symptoms of their lifestyle that people expect?

Your wisdom knows no bounds. Lack of exercise is the worst culprit (even worse than smoking) , skinniness doesn't guarantee good arteries.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I love the idea..........................BUT with a twist, tax the perpetrators who sell subversive products to unsuspecting victims. :smile:

Unsuspecting?

Anyone who thinks this is good for them deserves heart disease.:lol:

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
This will never be allowed constitutionally.

But, as a former very fat person, I can not blame the State for wanting to do this. Fat folks DO cost more in medical treatment, and so do smokers, etc.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Not sure where that comes from- never had anyone recommend it to me!

I don't know if it has made its way into Canada yet, JLM. I earnestly hope it never does. I first heard about two years ago on a segment of the Daily Show. It is made in the states. If you look closely at the label, it does not even contain bacon - just bacon flavor whatever that is and wherever it came from. It clogs your arteries just looking at it.

http://www.baconnaise.com/

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't know if it has made its way into Canada yet, JLM. I earnestly hope it never does. I first heard about two years ago on a segment of the Daily Show. It is made in the states. If you look closely at the label, it does not even contain bacon - just bacon flavor whatever that is and wherever it came from. It clogs your arteries just looking at it.

The funny part is, it's probably no worse for you than normal mayonnaise, just has some smoke/hickory flavour to it. yet say 'bacon' and people jump to the neatest little conclusions.