**** walk..?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Really?

A Toronto cop who warned women that dressing like ****s can attract sexual assault was reprimanded and underwent “further training,” Chief Bill Blair said Sunday.
Blair called Const. Michael Sanguinetti “inexperienced,” adding the officer uttered “something stupid and he’s apologized.”
The constable’s comment sparked outrage, prompting more than 1,500 protesters to stage a “****Walk” Sunday from Queen’s Park to police headquarters on College St.
“I don’t think the officer meant any offence,” added Blair.
Even though the police force insisted the comment does not reflect modern training or professional attitudes towards victims, protesters embarked on the “****Walk” to condemn the long-held belief that a woman’s way of dressing “makes you a target,” organizer Jeanette Janzen said.
Sanguinetti may have had a “sincere wish to help people,” but she said “it points to a larger problem within police culture.”
The officer told a York University law class on Jan. 24 that “women should avoid dressing like ****s in order not to be victimized.”
During the two-hour, peaceful and often light-hearted march from Queen’s Park, most participants dressed casually, others flamboyantly, with many proudly proclaiming they are “****s.”
Cop's slut comment 'stupid': Chief | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

http://www.****walktoronto.com/

Yes, calling yourself a "****", is empowering.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Empowering? Maybe, maybe not.
Not exactly empirical, but every woman I talked to, today. Was appalled that these women thought they spoke for all women.

But they got the press they wanted for it.
Ya, we threw around the 'exhibitionist' idea too, lol.

Would it make me a bad man, if I said I kind of side with the Cop on this?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Not exactly empirical, but every woman I talked to, today. Was appalled that these women thought they spoke for all women.

Hey, it wouldn't be MY choice either, but, as I am but one woman, I will not speak for my entire gender either.

As for the cop, what he said was a stupid thing to say, stupid in the way that he said it and to the group that he said it too.

If what you're saying is that we all need to consider our own actions and the potential consequences, I wouldn't argue with that.

But there is a difference between saying "It's stupid to walk down that dark street" and saying "You deserve this vicious assault because you walked down that dark street". Since obviously the cops don't get involved until the second scenario, they need to be acutely aware of the distinction.

Just my opinion.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hey, it wouldn't be MY choice either, but, as I am but one woman, I will not speak for my entire gender either.
Unlike the silly mob of "sl!ts", you seem to think things through, instead of just react.

As for the cop, what he said was a stupid thing to say, stupid in the way that he said it and to the group that he said it too.
Agreed.

If what you're saying is that we all need to consider our own actions and the potential consequences...
It is.

But there is a difference between saying "It's stupid to walk down that dark street" and saying "You deserve this vicious assault because you walked down that dark street". Since obviously the cops don't get involved until the second scenario, they need to be acutely aware of the distinction.

Just my opinion.
I'll second that.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Unlike the silly mob of "sl!ts", you seem to think things through, instead of just react.

Agreed.

It is.

I'll second that.
I always try to think before I speak. Or in this case, type.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

THAT is the only thing I follow religiously!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I always try to think before I speak. Or in this case, type.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

THAT is the only thing I follow religiously!
Being a Bear, I'm oft overly sure of myself, so sometimes I speak before I have all the facts. Sometimes. But being a Bear, I'm also capable of conceding, when I'm proven wrong.

Life's a learning expedition. Sometimes you can't get at the truth, unless you make a couple mistakes, while trying to get at it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Being a Bear, I'm oft overly sure of myself, so sometimes I speak before I have all the facts. Sometimes. But being a Bear, I'm also capable of conceding, when I'm proven wrong.

Life's a learning expedition. Sometimes you can't get at the truth, unless you make a couple mistakes, while trying to get at it.
Can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

And who doesn't love an omelet?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Do I take offense to what the cop said? Somewhat yes. When a police officer tells me to avoid certain areas of town because they're crime ridden, to not walk alone at night, to not take drinks from strangers, to stick with groups where and when possible.... these are concrete things which I can do, which address me behaving outside of my daily norm. 'Don't dress ****ty.' That is not concrete, and I'd need to pretty much wear a burka to ensure that no rapist could justify my attack based on something so subjective. Thus the suggestion becomes not one of altering one small behaviour, it becomes one of altering your outlook/behaviour ALL the time, in a very drastic way. And it won't help. A man doesn't rape a woman because they found her outfit titilating. If that was the case, rape statistics would be lower in countries where women are required to wear burkas, etc.

So, is he right that rapists use it as an excuse? Yes. Is it ACTUALLY linked to making a woman more susceptible to rape? No. It's usually the behaviour that surrounds the clothing (ie., drinking and all the risks that come with being out in the dark while intoxicated), that increase risk. Dressing like a hutterite, yet being drunk and alone in a dark alley is not going to stop a rapist.

Also, keep in mind, that a sizeable portion of rapes take place in ways that there is simply no reasonable way for women to avoid.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh, as for the **** walk.... it does nothing to address the issue, and serves only to attempt to mock one well meaning, if somewhat ill informed officer. It makes zero sense to me.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Oh, as for the **** walk.... it does nothing to address the issue, and serves only to attempt to mock one well meaning, if somewhat ill informed officer. It makes zero sense to me.

I think the police officer just had a little case of foot-in-mouth(it happens to us all from time to time). I think his comments are far less offensive than the ones the judge made in a case in Winnipeg. Thankfully, at least, that case is being re-tried with a different judge.

I agree with what you are saying as well, Karrie. Sometimes it seems that they have protests just to say "Hey, I was in a protest!" rather than deal with the issues at hand(or lack thereof, if the case may be).

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A Toronto cop who warned women that dressing like sl uts can attract sexual assault..................

Yes it would Bear, bad, bad Bear. You can add one woman you know that didn't agree with you. She found what the cop said to be HIGHLY offensive and I agree with her.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Do I take offense to what the cop said? Somewhat yes. When a police officer tells me to avoid certain areas of town because they're crime ridden, to not walk alone at night, to not take drinks from strangers, to stick with groups where and when possible.... these are concrete things which I can do, which address me behaving outside of my daily norm. 'Don't dress ****ty.' That is not concrete, and I'd need to pretty much wear a burka to ensure that no rapist could justify my attack based on something so subjective. Thus the suggestion becomes not one of altering one small behaviour, it becomes one of altering your outlook/behaviour ALL the time, in a very drastic way. And it won't help. A man doesn't rape a woman because they found her outfit titilating. If that was the case, rape statistics would be lower in countries where women are required to wear burkas, etc.

So, is he right that rapists use it as an excuse? Yes. Is it ACTUALLY linked to making a woman more susceptible to rape? No. It's usually the behaviour that surrounds the clothing (ie., drinking and all the risks that come with being out in the dark while intoxicated), that increase risk. Dressing like a hutterite, yet being drunk and alone in a dark alley is not going to stop a rapist.

Also, keep in mind, that a sizeable portion of rapes take place in ways that there is simply no reasonable way for women to avoid.
Your absolutely right. Rape is not about sexual provocation, it's an act of violence. There is no justification for that.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Your absolutely right. Rape is not about sexual provocation, it's an act of violence. There is no justification for that.

One has to only read any of the numerous news articles about rape to know that your comment hits the nail on the head. How many times have I read a case where some scum-sucking piece of crap breaks into a little old lady's house and brutally rapes her? "People" like that are monsters, nothing more.:(

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes it would Bear, bad, bad Bear. You can add one woman you know that didn't agree with you. She found what the cop said to be HIGHLY offensive and I agree with her.
I didn't say that I didn't think it was offensive, I said I kind of agree with him.

Dressing seductively, is advertising. Advertising is about sales. It sends the wrong message.

That in no way, means to say that anyone invites rape. No matter what they wear.

My point is, the dress of young ladies these days, does nothing but perpetuate the objectification of women.

And yes, I fully grasp, that the objectification is in the eye of the beholder. But when you cap it all off, with a march called "sl!t walk". The opposition to my position, has already taken the wind out of their own sails.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
One has to only read any of the numerous news articles about rape to know that your comment hits the nail on the head. How many times have I read a case where some scum-sucking piece of crap breaks into a little old lady's house and brutally rapes her? "People" like that are monsters, nothing more.:(
Which makes what the cop said all the more wrong really. I would expect a law enforcement officer to know this, right?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I didn't say that I didn't think it was offensive, I said I kind of agree with him.

Dressing seductively, is advertising. Advertising is about sales. It sends the wrong message.

That in no way, means to say that anyone invites rape. No matter what they wear.

My point is, the dress of young ladies these days, does nothing but perpetuate the objectification of women.

And yes, I fully grasp, that the objectification is in the eye of the beholder. But when you cap it all off, with a march called "sl!t walk". The opposition to my position, has already taken the wind out of their own sails.

and what "wrong message" would that be?