Justice System in British Columbia needs overhaul- NOW.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
All my sympathy is for the girl, they raped and murdered. :smile:

I don't have an sympathy for the animals who did this. Implying that we should hang young offenders is wrong though, however you look at it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't have an sympathy for the animals who did this. Implying that we should hang young offenders is wrong though, however you look at it.

Upon reading more details about the acts of these monsters, I've amended my thinking a little. Sudden death is too good for them. Throw them in with the general prison population hopefully with someone who's in there for already killing one of their kind.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

So wait until they are 18 then hang them. Keeping them alive is a waste of tax money that could be far better used elsewhere. Of course being someones bitch for ten years isn't a bad punishment.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Any word on the bones found in the orchard in Vernon?

Sorry, I have no first hand knowledge, but it was reported on the news last night that they are bringing in an anthropologist and it could take months to even determine the age of the bones let alone the identity.

So wait until they are 18 then hang them. Keeping them alive is a waste of tax money that could be far better used elsewhere. Of course being someones bitch for ten years isn't a bad punishment.

You have the right idea, Taxslave. :smile:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Well, we know how economical the death penalty is in the US, 10+ years of appeals with a bottomless pit of legal fee's.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Screw the appeals. They admitted their guilt.

Well, perhaps in your perfect world they would be taken out back and shot after admitting their guilt, but in reality, even if we had the death penalty, there would be automatic appeals regardless. Like anything the government does, there's a bureaucratic process behind it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sorry, I have no first hand knowledge, but it was reported on the news last night that they are bringing in an anthropologist and it could take months to even determine the age of the bones let alone the identity.
My Mrs brought it up. She watches a missing person forum and asked if you'd heard more locally. Thanks though.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Screw the appeals. They admitted their guilt.

And I believe bragged about it too. I don't think these wretches even qualify to be tried in a traditional court system- it's despicable that defense lawyers should profit by the death of this poor girl. I'm not for vigilante justice but we can't ALWAYS discount the ways of the "Old West". Lots of Oak trees around Victoria!

My Mrs brought it up. She watches a missing person forum and asked if you'd heard more locally. Thanks though.

Which brings up one thing- it was also reported on the news that they hadn't even reached the point of checking missing person's lists.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
it's despicable that defense lawyers should profit by the death of this poor girl.

You are justified in your disgust for the people that did this but basically implying that they don't deserve legal representation is rather F*cked up.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
It may be hard to believe, but every human being has a soul, and therefore, even after having committed a horrible crime, is able, if only willing, for redemption.

It may take several years, or just a a few, or it may never happen, but with capital punishment we would never know.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It may be hard to believe, but every human being has a soul, and therefore, even after having committed a horrible crime, is able, if only willing, for redemption.

It may take several years, or just a a few, or it may never happen, but with capital punishment we would never know.

That's nice Y.J. but the girl has already suffered "capital punishment". One thing I can not understand is these miscreants were tried as adult and convicted of premeditated murder, so why the ten year minimum sentence? I like the Old 99 they have in the U.S. - no repeat offenses after serving that one. :smile:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
That's nice Y.J. but the girl has already suffered "capital punishment". One thing I can not understand is these miscreants were tried as adult and convicted of premeditated murder, so why the ten year minimum sentence? I like the Old 99 they have in the U.S. - no repeat offenses after serving that one. :smile:

And no matter what we do, it will not bring her back.

Her murderers deserve punishment, no doubt. If they were tried and sentenced as adults, the eligibility for parole (yes, parole, not certain release) should have been 25 years.

A whole lot can happen in 25 years. A lot of regret. A lot of effort to make things better. A lot of settling down and growing up. A lot of real, heartfelt sorrow. A lot of indication that the redemption is real.

Just as the young girl, whose life was snuffed out in a cruel fashion did not deserve to die, neither do the young men who killed her deserve to die, if and ONLY IF their redemption is genuine. And if it is not, they do not deserve release or parole.

Think about it: Would you rather spend the next 25 years (or more) alone, without human contact, without a friend, ALONE with your guilt, than have a quick and painless - and USELESS - death? Which punishment would you prefer?

I know, there are those, like Clifford Olsen, for whom redemption does not seem to be an option. But those who show a sign of human decency, the door to redemption should be left open.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And no matter what we do, it will not bring her back.

Her murderers deserve punishment, no doubt. If they were tried and sentenced as adults, the eligibility for parole (yes, parole, not certain release) should have been 25 years.

A whole lot can happen in 25 years. A lot of regret. A lot of effort to make things better. A lot of settling down and growing up. A lot of real, heartfelt sorrow. A lot of indication that the redemption is real.

Just as the young girl, whose life was snuffed out in a cruel fashion did not deserve to die, neither do the young men who killed her deserve to die, if and ONLY IF their redemption is genuine. And if it is not, they do not deserve release or parole.

Think about it: Would you rather spend the next 25 years (or more) alone, without human contact, without a friend, ALONE with your guilt, than have a quick and painless - and USELESS - death? Which punishment would you prefer?

I know, there are those, like Clifford Olsen, for whom redemption does not seem to be an option. But those who show a sign of human decency, the door to redemption should be left open.

Where is the sign of "human decency" that these two showed? :smile: