Queen almost loses her hat as she is shown round Sea King by her grandson

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Queen Elizabeth II almost lost her hat on Friday as she went to be shown around a Sea King helicopter by her grandson.

The popular 84-year-old monarch looked as beautiful and glamorous as ever as she arrived at RAF Valley on the Isle of Anglesey off the North Wales coast where Prince William is based as an RAF search and rescue pilot.

After stepping out of her official vehicle upon arriving at the base, the 50mph wind almost blew her red hat off. If she hadn't succeeded in putting her hand on it quickly it may have blown away!

But the Queen merely made a cheery, friendly smile and got on with things - even going on to demonstrate to us what a great sense of humour she has.

Meeting the Queen and her husband, Prince Philip, upon getting out of the car at RAF Valley was station commander Group Captain Bruce Hedley. After the playing of the national anthem, God Save the Queen, she was then taken inside the search and rescue base in which she was shown round a yellow RAF search and rescue helicopter by her grandson Prince William, 28.

The Queen was greeted by William with a "hello" and a kiss.

William said 'I was worried your hat would blow off' before showing her and the Duke around an RAF search and rescue helicopter.

Future king William - who had to show the Head of State the same respect and courtesy that everyone else has to do even though he'll one day be Head of State himself - showed how the helicopter is used to winch people to safety, telling the Queen about some of the rescues he has carried out - which he has also previously admitted can get quite 'hairy'.

The Queen unveiled a plaque in the Search and Rescue Force building, as well as signing a visitors' book, when she joked: 'Do you really think that is my name?'

She also visited the Moran Building, a new training facility for Hawk pilots, which she was due to open officially in December when she could not make it because of the snow.

Posing for a group photo, she joked to the photographer: 'Can you get far enough away?'

Prince William - known in the RAF merely as Flight Lieutenant Wales - has been a qualified search and rescue pilot since September and has already taken part in 12 search and rescue missions. Also on Friday, the prince told in a TV interview at RAF Valley how he is getting nervous about the wedding at the end of this month to Catherine Middleton and how his work pals at RAF Valley have been jokingly putting Royal Wedding souvenir objects such as mugs and pillows in strategic places around the base so that Wills will see them and see his face on them.

After the marriage, the newlyweds will live in a cottage close to RAF Valley.

Day the Queen held on to her majesty... just: How hat prepared for take-off as she visited William's RAF base

By Daily Mail Reporter
1st April 2011
Daily Mail

It takes a great deal to ruffle the Queen, but a 50mph wind today almost succeeded.

She was visiting grandson Prince William at his RAF base on Anglesey.

Stepping from her official transport, she was forced to hang on to her claret Rachel Trevor-Morgan hat for dear life. Never one to make a fuss, the Queen clamped the hat firmly down on her head and pressed on.

The Queen, who was wearing a Stewart Parvin claret cashmere coat, also wore a matching Rachel Trevor-Morgan hat and had to hang on to it as they got off an executive jet after flying from London to be greeted by high winds of 45-50mph.

Perhaps ma'am should try a chin strap: Group Captain Bruce Headley - and blustery winds - greet the Queen as she steps onto the tarmac at the start of her visit to RAF Valley, Anglesey

Hanging on: The winds show no sign of abating as the Queen is forced to keep hold of her hat when stepping out of the car with her husband the Duke of Edinburgh

Nearly! The Duke looks amused as his wife's ensemble is blown about by the high winds

Hat trick: The headgear was at risk as she left her car ... but then relief as the outfit remains intact

The couple were greeted by station commander Group Captain Bruce Hedley, and were played the National Anthem before being taking to the search and rescue headquarters (SAR), where Prince William carries out his duties.

The visit comes as the the prince has been speaking of the importance of his work after showing his skills in a practice mission.

William, who also revealed his nerves over his forthcoming wedding, met his grandmother in a hangar next to the SAR building, where he greeted her with a 'hello' and a kiss.

He said 'I was worried your hat would blow off' before showing her and the Duke around an RAF Sea King helicopter.

William showed how the helicopter is used to winch people to safety, telling the Queen about some of the rescues he has carried out - which he has also previously admitted can get quite 'hairy'.

The Queen unveiled a plaque in the Search and Rescue Force building, as well as signing a visitors' book, when she joked: 'Do you really think that is my name?'

She also visited the Moran Building, a new training facility for Hawk pilots, which she was due to open officially in December when she could not make it because of the snow.

Posing for a group photo, she joked to the photographer: 'Can you get far enough away?'

Yes, gran: Prince William looks a little sheepish as he welcomes his grandparents - the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh - to the base where he is stationed

Fancy seeing you here! The Queen is greeted by her grandson Prince William during her visit to the base

Royal approval: Her Majesty saw the future King for the first time in his working environment

Prince William’s ‘big family in the sky’

Prince William has been talking about his life as an RAF Search and Rescue pilot.

Flight Lieutenant Wales has now completed six months service.

The royal, who joined C Flight, 22 Squadron in September got his helicopter wings in January last year.

His rescue missions have included someone with a suspected dislocated knee, a suspected heart attack, a rescue of a cliff-faller in Anglesey, as well as several medical transfers.

In the training mission, William piloted a Sea King helicopter to nearby Holyhead mountain where he and the three other crew members undertook a mock rescue of an injured walker - winching them to safety in a stretcher.

The Prince said: "The skills the guys employ, the flying aspects, the general airmanship you need to have around you and all the others you need to survive the weather and whatever sort of situation you are thrown into.

"It's definitely advanced flying and it's rewarding so put the two together and it's a fantastic job.

"It's rewarding because every day you come into work you don't quite know what's going to happen, it's quite exciting in that sense, it's unpredictable.

"But at the same time it's great that you get to go out and actually save someone's life hopefully or at least make a difference to somebody when you know that they are in trouble you do everything you can to get there."

He said the team was a "big family in the sky", adding: "Having witnessed it for the past few months, I'm very proud to be amongst the Search and Rescue guys and very privileged to be flying with some of the best pilots I think in the world.

"The guys do a fantastic job and they are very happy to do it. It's a job but it's emotional, it's physical and it's very demanding."

William said sometimes the job could get "hairy", joking "especially with someone like me at the controls".

He also said he enjoyed settling into life in Anglesey, where he and his wife to be Kate Middleton were usually left alone.

"The beach is here and the general life is great to settle in and knuckle down to a proper job. We are left alone, it's good," he said.

When asked what elements of his impending wedding day were giving him sleepless nights, he said: "The whole thing!"

"I was telling everyone I did the rehearsal the other day and my knees started tapping quite nervously.

"It's quite a daunting prospect but very exciting and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it but there's still a lot of planning to be done in the last four weeks."

dailymail.co.uk
bfbs.com

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Queen Elizabeth II almost lost her hat on Friday....that's news over on that side of the Pond?

Cool that things are that quiet there to make this newsworthy. I'm guessing that's a good
sign of the times.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I love the last couple of pics....a very elderly lady obviously thrilled to be with her grandson......

Nice.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Thank God Mrs. Windsor hat wasn't soiled.

yes, indeed!

A fashion faux pas narrowly averted.......

She is the QUEEN you know!

Serious, a woman who has sacrificed her entire life to the service of the nation.........to be under a microscope at all times.........a monarch without power.

You couldn't pay me enough.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
nice to know that our navy isn't the only one flying these ancient deathtraps.
Oh, you meant that silly looking thing on queenie's head?