Is Fukushima About to Blow?

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
Is Fukushima About to Blow?

'Conditions at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant are deteriorating and the doomsday scenario is beginning to unfold. On Sunday, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) officials reported that the levels of radiation leaking into seawater at the Unit 2 reactor were 100,000 times above normal, and the airborne radiation measured 4-times higher than government limits. As a result, emergency workers were evacuated from the plant and rushed to safe location. The prospect of a full-core meltdown or an environmental catastrophe of incalculable magnitude now looms larger than ever. The crisis is getting worse.

If spent fuel rods catch fire from lack of coolant, the intense heat will lift radiation plumes high into the atmosphere that will drift around the world. That's the nightmare scenario, clouds of radioactive material showering the planet with lethal toxins for months on end. And, according to the Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics of Vienna, that deadly process has already begun.'

Read more: Is Fukushima About to Blow?

Last edited by a moderator:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What else are they going to do with the contaminated water? That water is coming from a tunnel under the reactor, to be able to do long term repairs they need access to those places and it could take some time drain them no matter how the water got there. With any luck it was the Ocean that brought the water in rather than something being broken in the buildings.

No doubt 'blow' will be deemed to be too strong a word for the situation.. My question is if they 'totally lose' one does that mean the whole plant is lost? ^ worst case situations that results in most of the material in the rods being ejected into a wide field rather than contained as it is now (for the most part).

"radioactive material showering the planet with lethal toxins for years on end"

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
Got a question for all you scientific types out there. The cores and spent rods are being doused continuously with sea water. Am I correct in that assumption?
The cores & rods are heating up enough to evaporate the water & the water is unable to keep the heating under control. Correct?
Under normal curcumstance various readioactive isotopes are created (iodine , cesium, strontrium, cobalt & some noble gases). What kind of radioactive witches brew are going see from the salt precipitates of sea water, anybody got an idea?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
According to radio news Japan has decided to ban the Simpson cartoons because of Homers antics in the nuclear plan.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Something tells me that there are some people in here that are actually rooting for the worse case scenario.

Something tells me that they REALLY want a full scale meltdown and all of the crazy s*** that goes along with it.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm trying to get some immigrants to settle the Hudson's Bay area.

Wants and want not's cannot alter how events play out. You should feel lucky, what are the odds you will get anymore contaminated than any war zone in Iraq is with DU. Perfectly harmless in the short and long term cases.

Even if you did take it as being dangerous in the US there is nothing that could be done to save anybody. Tokyo Power is not responsible as the quake and wave were the instruments of destruction. Who pays in the end should not affect how the situation is being handled and it is far from over, something you seem determined to ignore. Just out of curiosity what is the tipping point for crazy ****?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Something tells me that there are some people in here that are actually rooting for the worse case scenario.

Something tells me that they REALLY want a full scale meltdown and all of the crazy s*** that goes along with it.

Somethings always telling you something else other than the facts ES. You ain't one of them crazies what sees satanic motives in every warning or every utterance of concern or fear are you?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Oh, just crawl under your desk and assume the position and you will weather any nuclear storm. The Yanks told us that, did they not? Or was that "kiss your ass goodbye"?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
THE END IS NEAR!
I believe that sign has to be in Japanese and it might be their end if they don't move fra, far away, say like Hudson's Bay where in 20 years they could have the best darn (totally protected from international fish pirates) fish and seafood farm.

Don't get your panties in a knot until events of equal magnitude are actually in the promised land.

Did I mention the ground is almost as hard as a diamond so N-power should be safe as any meltdown would just spread across the surface and the area has natural cooling to about -40 that could be maintained through the summer months. Anybody now the shielding power of muskeg fibers?

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I believe that sign has to be in Japanese and it might be their end if they don't move fra, far away, say like Hudson's Bay where in 20 years they could have the best darn (totally protected from international fish pirates) fish and seafood farm.

Don't get your panties in a knot until events of equal magnitude are actually in the promised land.
Do ya think that this is just a warning of things to come? (a rhetorical question).

Do you notice that all those who were claiming that nuclear power was the only "GREEN" power worth exploring a few months ago are now sullenly silent?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
M't.24:7 .......and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

Just same old, same old. Those days start with a very big event that will pretty much have every Nation declare Martial Law and food will be 'confiscated' on a global scale. All within just a few days.

It worked quite well for them right up to this year. Once that diamond mine is finished the world could probably use that for one big collection point for waste fuel. Little risky getting it there but the seas are open long enough to unload and the winters provide a terrain that is stable enough for heavy loads. If a load or two gets dropped it sinks into fresh water with a mat covering, there are worse places.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
M't.24:7 .......and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

Just same old, same old. Those days start with a very big event that will pretty much have every Nation declare Martial Law and food will be 'confiscated' on a global scale. All within just a few days.

That is why I live in a remote place... sink a couple of ferries and deny them access.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That is why I live in a remote place... sink a couple of ferries and deny them access.
Check this view out, it is one of the hi points in an area that is anout 900 sq mi and it has about 10 residents. That far horizon is more than 200 miles away. I tend to think it show the curve of the earth

Remote for today might just mean unspoiled for many people who have to find new homes. Hopefully settled in a way that is better than before. I'm kind of enviro friendly, if possible. If you are fighting a wild fire, you use techniques that would be fines if done in a time that was not an 'emergency'.

The land above will never be farmland but it can be made into a productive area that remains productive. Unfortunately that means spending more money and taking a smaller profit. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Sinking ferries might attract more attention than it prevents. Since it sounds like you live by the sea do you have a place where you are safe from ocean water? From what I have seen a 'durable fast boat' might be the better escape plan. Those ferries might just be big enough to weather any size wave if they can get away from the shoreline, who cares if they are swept 100 miles downstream during those evasive maneuvers. Surviving past that point is another matter.

Last edited:

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Tokyo Power is not responsible as the quake and wave were the instruments of destruction.

Responsibility should rest on the shoulders of those who elected to build a nuclear power plant in an earthquake zone. If Tokyo Power made that decision then yeah they should be held accountable.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Put it back to GE if they promoted that their studies showed it was overbuilt for the area rather than 'accidentally' under-built. I would hope other sea-side reactor places are bolting down the fuel tanks a little better and a few other improvements to handle threats of this size. One type already in production is radioactive free and the destroyed ones will have to be replaced if life is to return to normal. Salt water batteries might also be a future possibility. That would make Utah and the Dead Sea prime spots as they already have extremely salty water available. As for useless by products who cares it would be less than what Japan is dealing with. Not like lead.zinc are rare metals, no doubt we could do better with some real science thrown into it. It's only a matter of 'how big' rather than 'can it'.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

I thought you lived in a remote place because nobody wants to be near you ...LOL.

By the way, if we want 'green' energy there is about 4000 zedawatts (I have no idea how many zeros that is) of geothermal within 2 km of the earths surface. The entire planet consume 0.5 zwts/yr so that is 8000 years of good clean energy, and it renews naturally at a very rapid rate.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Apparently the banks only want to finance N-power currently. It must piss them off that Iceland has an ever-ending supply. With them kicking the banks out their plans to produce power for Europe are probably going to stay as just paper drawings.

Other than salt being corrosive I have never understood why ocean currents couldn't be used to spin very large prop/screw anchored to the sea floor and spinning a waterproofed turbine about the size the large windmills turn. For Canada that would mean being on the west side of any island.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Apparently the banks only want to finance N-power currently. It must piss them off that Iceland has an ever-ending supply. With them kicking the banks out their plans to produce power for Europe are probably going to stay as just paper drawings.

Other than salt being corrosive I have never understood why ocean currents couldn't be used to spin very large prop/screw anchored to the sea floor and spinning a waterproofed turbine about the size the large windmills turn. For Canada that would mean being on the west side of any island.

There are actually some very efficient designs for this already and there are some proposals for a large field in the North sea that will supply about 40% of the required power for England.