Do we change Huckleberry Finn or not?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
There weren't any niggers, then

DID that headline make you uncomfortable? Of course it did, and you're not alone. As Publisher's Weekly reports, NewSouth Books is releasing a new edition of Mark Twain's "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" (yes, the first title apparently does lack the definite article) with the words "nigger" and "injun" removed.
"Political correctness!" you cry. Not so fast. The editor, Alan Gribben, a Twain scholar at Auburn University in Montgomery, Alabama, explained that when he took part in Big Read Alabama, a state-wide reading programme that had chosen "Tom Sawyer" as its text for 2009,
I was sought out by local teachers, and to a person they said we would love to teach this novel, and 'Huckleberry Finn', but we feel we can't do it anymore. In the new classroom, it's really not acceptable.
He elaborates, in his introduction to the new edition, that "numerous communities currently ban 'Huckleberry Finn' as required reading in public schools owing to its offensive racial language", and that in his long experience, people prefer it without the racial slurs:
For nearly forty years I have led college classes, bookstore forums, and library reading groups in detailed discussions of 'Tom Sawyer' and 'Huckleberry Finn' in California, Texas, New York, and Alabama, and I always recoiled from uttering the racial slurs spoken by numerous characters, including Tom and Huck. I invariably substituted the word “slave” for Twain’s ubiquitous n-word whenever I read any passages aloud. Students and audience members seemed to prefer this expedient, and I could detect a visible sense of relief each time, as though a nagging problem with the text had been addressed.
On the one hand, I'm inclined to defend Mr Gribben. His motives are clearly noble. He wants to make classics of American literature more widely read, and is willing to pay the price of a little sanitisation. Even with the words "nigger" and "injun" gone from the books, you'd have to be an idiot to read them and not notice how widespread and evil slavery and racial prejudice were; so if cleaning up Twain makes more young people read him and learn about life back then, that is surely to the good. Finally, as he points out, this new edition hardly wipes the unexpurgated Twain off the literary map:
...literally dozens of other editions are available for those readers who prefer Twain’s original phrasing. Those standard editions will always exist... This NewSouth Edition of 'Tom Sawyer' and 'Huckleberry Finn' is emphatically not intended for academic scholars.
On the other hand, I agree with Ta-Nehisi Coates Jamelle Bouie on Ta-Nehisi Coates' blog that
erasing "nigger" from 'Huckleberry Finn'—or ignoring our failures—doesn't change anything. It doesn't provide racial enlightenment, or justice, and it won't shield anyone from the legacy of slavery and racial discrimination. All it does is feed the American aversion to history and reflection.
A sanitised Twain may teach young readers a lot, but it hides from them a crucial insight: that a word they know to be unacceptable now was once utterly commonplace. You can't fully appreciate why "nigger" is taboo today if you don't know how it was used back then, and you can't fully appreciate what it was like to be a slave if you don't know how slaves were addressed. The "visible sense of relief" Mr Gribben reports in his listeners is not, in fact, desirable; feeling discomfort when you read the book today is part of the point of reading it. (Of course, even today, if you're black, you may well use "nigger" in the company of other blacks. But even to understand why that use is okay while its use by a white person isn't, you have to be aware of the word's historical role.)
Furthermore, eliminating "nigger" and "injun" elides how closely language is tied to social norms. The everyday words we use aren't chosen by chance or dictated by a dictionary; they reflect our relationships with one another. This is a basic lesson in how human society works. Given how little young Americans read, one who reads the original Twain is unlikely to read much else that teaches it so clearly.
I might still side with Mr Gribben, however, were it not for one thing. He goes so far to avoid these words that he circumvents them even in his introduction. He writes that Twain
was endeavoring to accurately depict the prevailing social attitudes along the Mississippi River Valley during the 1840s by repeatedly employing in both novels a linguistic corruption of “Negro” in reference to African American slaves, and by tagging the villain in 'Tom Sawyer' with a deprecating racial label for Native Americans... in Chapter 1, the boys refer to slaves four times with the pejorative n-word.
The sheer hammering repetition of "nigger"—219 times in Huckleberry Finn—may justify cutting it out of the text. But refusing even to mention it when you're explaining why you've cut it out smacks of just what Mr Coates Bouie alleges: an "aversion to history and reflection". The very fact that the text has had a word excised is itself an important lesson in the history and politics of language, but it's a lesson lost on young people if you can't even bring yourself to tell them, unambiguously, what that word is.

Update: There's a good discussion at the New York Times' "Room for Debate", with a preponderance in favour of keeping Twain as is. I best like Gish Jen's comment: "It is, of course, perfectly fine to change the texts of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, so long as the cover reads, by Mark Twain* with a footnote: *as bowdlerized by Alan Gribben."

Economist

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Leave the word ****** in. We didn't write it, Twain did, and we should not alter his work because we are scared of words.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
While I condemn this form of censorship let's remember that this is not new. I distinctly recall reading a volume of Mac Beth in high school that omitted the watchman's drunken words about drinking with the desire (and incapacity) it causes for sex. Nobody objected back then.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The works of "Mark Twain" are not only classics, but snap-shots of the time
that these stories where written.

Censoring these would be revisionist at best (& a travesty). I'm totally against
this form of censorship. If censorship (& the push for it) needs to rear its ugly
head, why not start with current pop & rock & rap music and see how well
that lead balloon goes over?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
While I condemn this form of censorship let's remember that this is not new. I distinctly recall reading a volume of Mac Beth in high school that omitted the watchman's drunken words about drinking with the desire (and incapacity) it causes for sex. Nobody objected back then.

Nobody probably noticed. I find it objectionable.

If it is not age appropriate don't present it until it is, but censorship is bull.

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
If the N word de-humanizes people, let's also remember that the Constitution refers to blacks as 3/5ths of a person. Yet, it is studied in school every day and is not censored.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
If the N word de-humanizes people, let's also remember that the Constitution refers to blacks as 3/5ths of a person. Yet, it is studied in school every day and is not censored.

Can you show me where it says that in the constitution?

Let's not forget that a lot of words depending on context can be hurtful or even hateful. Censorship is still a load of crap.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Censorship disguised as political correctness is still censorship. Or maybe it is the other way around. Either way it is wrong.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I just can't in good consience agree with this type of censorship. Where does it lead us? Next we have to rewrite all the history books on the American - Indian war or other sensitive subjects. Dub over all the great movies that refer to 'Japs' or 'Krauts'...

While the N word itself is somewhat offensive it is much more offensive to hear all the 'gangsta's' throwing it around about each other without really knowing the entire history of it. Tom and Huck bring enlightement to where, why and how this word developed what it's true (de)meaning is.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
For Gods Sake, you can't go around rewriting history and changing things that were part
of our history. We will soon be changing the Second World War films too I guess. It
happened the way it happened and you can't take it back. The do Gooders are on the
loose again. In fact I contacted one of my relatives through marriage and asked if it made
a difference. He laughed like hell, and could not believe society would do that. The only
thing he didn't like was the ending, of which I don't remember, he said could they change
the ending to . Seriously it time to tell these people to get a life.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Far out! When I was a young lad In Grade 5 I got in trouble for getting into the real role of things while reading Huck Finn in the way I'd seen in a play done the year before.

If I remember right Jim said "Lordy Lordy raf, dey ain't no raf no mo. She done broke loose an gone an here we is."

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Forgive the Past . Can Never Forget...

Twain wrote it .It's history,.It Should/Will remain.

However ..Having said that...I don't see anything wrong with a newer rendition..A lot ol' Books/Movies have been Updated/Remade, successfully..Happens all the time...

Nothing will change the Original....(It'll Be Worth more)..