earthquake in japan

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Watching it right now on the news. 8.4 magnitude and 4 meter tsunami.

This is complete devastation. Earthquake caused 44 massive fires. Huge one at a refinery.

Tsunami's from 4- 7 meters.

Over 1200 missing in one town.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Here is an article from Canoe.ca.

TOKYO - The biggest earthquake to hit Japan in 140 years struck the northeast coast on Friday, triggering a 10-metre tsunami that swept away everything in its path, including houses, cars and farm buildings on fire, media and witnesses said.
At least one person was killed in Fukushima prefecture, north of Tokyo where four million homes were without power. The 8.9 magnitude quake caused many injuries, public broadcaster NHK said, sparked fires and the wall of water, prompting warnings to people to move to higher ground in coastal areas.
The Philippines, Taiwan and Indonesia all issued tsunami alerts, reviving memories of the giant tsunami which struck Asia in 2004. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued alerts for countries as far away as Colombia and Peru.
There were several strong aftershocks. In the capital Tokyo, buildings shook violently. An oil refinery near Tokyo was on fire, with dozens of storage tanks under threat.
"I was terrified and I'm still frightened," said Hidekatsu Hata, 36, manager of a Chinese noodle restaurant in Tokyo's Akasaka area. "I've never experienced such a big quake before."
TV pictures showed the tsunami carrying the debris and fires across a large swathe of coastal farmland near the city of Sendai, which has a population of one million. The pictures suggested the death toll was going to rise.

NHK showed flames and black smoke billowing from a building in Odaiba, a Tokyo suburb, and bullet trains to the north of the country were halted.
Black smoke was also pouring out of an industrial area in Yokohama's Isogo area. TV footage showed boats, cars and trucks floating in water after a small tsunami hit the town of Kamaichi in northern Japan. An overpass, location unknown, appeared to have collapsed into the water.
Kyodo news agency said there were reports of fires in Sendai where waves carried cars across the runway at the airport.
The western prefecture of Wakayama ordered 20,000 people to evacuate after further tsunami warnings.
"The building shook for what seemed a long time and many people in the newsroom grabbed their helmets and some got under
their desks," Reuters correspondent Linda Sieg said in Tokyo.
"It was probably the worst I have felt since I came to Japan more than 20 years ago."
GREAT KANTO QUAKE
The quake was the biggest in 140 years. It surpasses the Great Kanto quake of Sept. 1, 1923, which had a magnitude of 7.9, killed more than 140,000 people in the Tokyo area. Seismologists had said another such quake could strike the city any time. The 1995 Kobe quake caused $100 billion in damage and was the most expensive natural disaster in history. Economic damage from the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami was estimated at about $10 billion.
The Tokyo stock market extended losses after the quake. The central bank said it would do everything to ensure financial stability.
Passengers on a subway line in Tokyo screamed and grabbed other passengers' hands during the quake. The shaking was so bad it was hard to stand, said Reuters reporter Mariko Katsumura.
Hundreds of office workers and shoppers spilled into Hitotsugi street, a shopping street in Akasaka in downtown Tokyo.
Household goods ranging from toilet paper to clingfilm were flung into the street from outdoor shelves in front of a drugstore.
Crowds gathered in front of televisions in a shop next to the drugstore for details. After the shaking from the first quake subsided, crowds were watching and pointing to construction cranes on an office building up the street with voices saying, "They're still shaking!," "Are they going to fall?"
Asagi Machida, 27, a web designer in Tokyo, sprinted from a coffee shop when the quake hit.
"The images from the New Zealand earthquake are still fresh in my mind so I was really scared. I couldn't believe such a big earthquake was happening in Tokyo."
The U.S. Geological Survey earlier verified a magnitude of 7.9 at a depth of 15.1 miles and located the quake 81 miles east of Sendai, on the main island of Honshu. It later upgraded it to 8.9.
A police car drove down Hitotsugi Street, lights flashing, announcing through a bullhorn that there was still a danger of shaking.
Japan's northeast Pacific coast, called Sanriku, has suffered from quakes and tsunamis in the past and a 7.2 quake struck on Wednesday. In 1933, a magnitude 8.1 quake in the area killed more than 3,000 people. Last year fishing facilities were damaged after by a tsunami caused by a strong tremor in Chile. Earthquakes are common in Japan, one of the world's most seismically active areas. The country accounts for about 20 percent of the world's earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
they just gave tsunami warning for Bella Bella, Bella colla, North coast of BC.

US has warning for Port Angeles and Gulf Island

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Well there is potential for some deaths here on Vancouver Island and even in Vancouver.

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
EMERGENCY BULLETIN
VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980)
Terry Bell | Email news tips to tbell@cknw.com
3/11/2011

The BC Emergency Notification System has issued a Tsunami Watch for some zones of coastal British Columbia.
Those involved include:
Zone A - the north coast and Haida Gwaii islands.
Zone B - the central coast including Bella Bella, Bella Coola and Shearwater.
Zone C - the outer west coast of Vancouver Island from Cape Scott to Port Renfrew.
Local Governments in these zones are advised to activate their emergency plans and standby for further information.
The Provincial Emergency Coordination Centre will issue updated information, as soon as it is available.
No other areas of Coastal British Columbia are at risk.
Further bulletins will follow.
Emergency warning released on CKNW website.

Local News Story

Hawaii just hit with 4.5 magnitude quake, Tsunami to hit soon.

Japan - all trains stopped, all tunnels closed, cell service down in many places.

CBC predicts 1 meter tsunami along BC coast.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
What the heck is a meter mean? The height of an adult male? How much impact weight is that? Will cars and boats be pushed? Will Richmond sink into the country (if it's hit). Et Al?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
meter =3 feet

Not very high but will move cars and trucks.

Some of the video from japan shows a wave about 3-4 feet picking up a semi.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
I'll wait until Hawaii. They underestimated the waves during the last Tsuanmi and for some it was too late.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Man this is big! What devastation. Daughter inlaw's family are farmers and no word from them yet.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
BC is still under tsunami watch.

Complete devastation in Japan. The body count will continue to rise over the next few days I think.