A small step toward First Nations accountability

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
A small step toward First Nations accountability

Conservatives on Parliament Hill pronounced themselves “stunned” after the surprise passage of a private members’ bill that is seeking to improve accountability on First Nations reserves.
“Every indication was that the bill was going down in flames,” said one Tory in the Prime Minister’s Office.
The government originally had high hopes for the private members’ bill by Saskatchewan MP, Kelly Block, but expectations were lowered after it became clear that the Liberal leadership opposed the bill and would urge Grit MPs to vote against it. But private members’ bills are free votes and so it only required a handful of Liberals to support the Conservatives — and overrule the NDP and Bloc who voted against it unanimously — to send it into committee and then on to third reading.
The bill would force all First Nations bands to make public the salaries of chiefs and councillors, many of whom don’t tell their band members how much they earn.
It was introduced after the Canadian Taxpayers’ Federation claimed that scores of chiefs and council members earn more than the Prime Minister. One tiny reserve in rural Nova Scotia called Glooscap was revealed to be home to three of the highest paid politicians in Canada, with one band councillor earning almost $1-million tax-free.
The Liberals had suggested its MPs vote against the bill on the basis that it was imposed on First Nations without consultation — a rubric the Assembly of First Nations falls back on whenever it is faced with something it doesn’t like, which is always.
John Ivison: A small step toward First Nations accountability | Full Comment | National Post

Wow!!!

I'm pleasantly stunned too!

with one band councillor earning almost $1-million tax-free
This crap has to stop post haste!!!

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Urgh,
the party of corruption strikes again! I like the comments on the page and it demonstrates the intelligence of the "internet generation". I just can't believe that old dog boomers are continuing to cast votes for their local Liberal MLAs.

This crap has to stop post haste!!!

Don't forget the First Nations' children living in poverty and mud huts while the "Chiefs" are sipping down the Highway in a Mercedes Benz.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
After seeing how FNUC almost had it's doors closed this bill should go beyond just the rez and follow all funding.

If you aren't familiar with how they almost lost a brand new university read some of the following: Google

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Urgh,
the party of corruption strikes again! I like the comments on the page and it demonstrates the intelligence of the "internet generation". I just can't believe that old dog boomers are continuing to cast votes for their local Liberal MLAs.
Hear, hear!!!

Don't forget the First Nations' children living in poverty and mud huts while the "Chiefs" are sipping down the Highway in a Mercedes Benz.
You're preaching to the choir, I haven't forgotten anything. Only from my experience, they prefer H2's.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''nepotism''

Same charge was raised against the discredited Dick Wilson in the Pine Ridge, SD reservation. After much travails and violence, he was finally removed from office and was given protective custody by the FBI. Had there been more oversight and accountability, much of those troubles could have been averted.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The bill doesn't go far enough but I guess you gotta crawl before you can walk. It's a good first step in getting these people off the government tit.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
''nepotism''

Same charge was raised against the discredited Dick Wilson in the Pine Ridge, SD reservation. After much travails and violence, he was finally removed from office and was given protective custody by the FBI. Had there been more oversight and accountability, much of those troubles could have been averted.
How true that is.

Funny how the Feds seem to look after the status qou Injin's eh?

The bill doesn't go far enough but I guess you gotta crawl before you can walk. It's a good first step in getting these people off the government tit.
Off the Gov't tit?

Can you expand on that? Or is this just your same old fall back, that Natives deserve nothing in the way of the contractually obligated mortgage payments?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
LOL...and you accuse others of having comprehension problems.
Yes, yes I do. And nothing in my post would indicate that I have one.

You and I have been down this road before lil Joe. You've made the same failed argument repeatly. And yes, had you ass handed to you repeatedly.

I didn't think you'd answer the questions. That's why they were rhetorical.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We must have been on different roads then because you obviously don't know my position vis a vis natives and the government tit.
Riiight...:roll:

And "getting off the Gov't tit", is code for continuing to financially support the Nations that have treaties requiring to gov't to do so.

Again, your cognitive issues come to the forefront of your posts.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
One wodners why this news wasn't reported in other media outlets.
I only happened to stumble on it when I was glancing at a copy of the National Post, let on the table in a coffee shot.

I figured other media outlets would have reported on it too. It's kind of important in my books.

I am however keeping an eye on Turtle Island News and the MNN, sites, to see the Native communities response.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Riiight...:roll:

And "getting off the Gov't tit", is code for continuing to financially support the Nations that have treaties requiring to gov't to do so.

You and I have differing opinions as to what constitutes a nation. You are not willing to discuss that and instead fall back onto your usual "cognitive abilities" silliness so really, what is there to discuss?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You and I have differing opinions as to what constitutes a nation.
I'm well aware of the fact that you haven't been able to grasp the significance of the many and varied treaties. I would hazard a guess you have limited knowledge of a few, if any at all. And certainly not to the extent that I have. That isn't meant as a gloat, or an insult, it is simply a fact. I have presented the documentation, time and time again, ad nauseum, to the point where I simply haven't a care to continue to try and broaden the knowledge of closed minded individuals, such as yourself.

I'm almost positive you are completely unaware as to what Nations receive treaty'ed gov't financial support, and what Nations actually use monies from gov't held trusts, created by land deals in antiquity.

You are not willing to discuss that...
Discuss what? What a Nation, as defined by the UN, the Crown, the Commonwealth of Nations and treaties is?

The Haudenosaunee met the standard before Canada.

...and instead fall back onto your usual "cognitive abilities" silliness...
How else would you assess closed minded blind bigotry?

...so really, what is there to discuss?
With you? Nothing, you don't really want to discuss. As indicated by the several times you and I have had this discussion, in which you simply ignore every FACT I have presented, that proves your notions in error. As you have done in the past, you will challenge me to prove my case, I will and you WILL, ignore and pick another diversion, or another part and ask for me to prove that. To which I do, until you replied by trying to twist my commentary, and divert the conversation, into being about something else, because you no longer have any ground to stand on.

Why do you think I give you such little respect?

It certainly isn't because you have any integrity when it comes to legitimate debate on this subject.

Last edited:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I only happened to stumble on it when I was glancing at a copy of the National Post, let on the table in a coffee shot.

I figured other media outlets would have reported on it too. It's kind of important in my books.

I am however keeping an eye on Turtle Island News and the MNN, sites, to see the Native communities response.

It's massive news, it's about accountability. That's how democracy works, and aboriginal reserves don't have democracy. "Traditional" cultures don't want it. But being in Canada, which is a democracy, there is constant pressure on for improved practices from aboriginals. Now it will take some followup by the media to keep the pressure on.