Kate Middleton is all smiles as she returns to the place where she and William met

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Prince William and his bride-to-be Kate Middleton have done a lot of travelling around the country lately.

A few days ago they were on the Island of Anglesey, in North Wales, near to where they will live once they are married, to launch a new lifeboat. Yesterday, they were in the town of Fife in eastern Scotland to mark the 600th anniversary of the University of St Andrews.

The visit was especially poignant for the couple as it was where they first met whilst studying there. They graduated in June 2005. In fact, a whopping one-in-ten of all students at the university end up marrying fellow students at the univeristy.

Yesterday, a vast crowd of well-wishers gathered to meet the Royal couple on a cold and blustery day (this was, after all, Scotland in February).

There were bagpipes, a military fly past and 3,000 cheering well-wishers standing five-deep behind crash barriers. There was even a brief protest from two anti-monarchists, who showed their ignorance by shouting ‘abdicate Kate’ even though she isn't even Queen yet (Scotland is the only one of the four nations that make up the UK in which the majority of its people are against the monarchy, which is ironic considering Britain is currently ruled by the Scottish monarchy and has been since 1603).

The couple were led round the university by Sir Menzies Campbell, the MP for North East Fife, the former leader of the Liberal Democrats and the Chancellor of St Andrews University.

During the visit, Kate hinted at her dreams of starting a family. Speaking to William’s former art history tutor, the 29 year old future Queen, looking pretty in red, revealed she has kept her old university work to show the couple’s future children.

Professor Brendan Cassidy said: ‘She was telling me she kept all her essays. I said I had kept mine too, to show to my children. She said: “I will probably do the same." ’

During a speech to undergraduates wearing traditional red robes, William referred to the fact that St Andrews University is the third-oldest university in the English-speaking world, after Oxford and Cambridge. He also refers to Kate as Catherine, the name which we will probably start calling her once she's married and becomes a princess.

He said: ‘This is a special moment for Catherine and me. It feels like coming home.

'Despite being one of Europe's leading research institutions, the third-oldest university in the English speaking world, and of course far and away the best university in the world, St Andrews still has that uncanny knack of feeling like home and so it must have done for generations of undergraduates before us.'

Events marking the institution's 600th anniversary will be spread over three years as teaching began at the institution in 1410, chartered status was granted a year later and the university was formally constituted by a series of papal bulls issued by Pope Benedict XIII in 1413.

Dr John Walden, a senior lecturer in geography who taught the Prince said: 'It's just a fabulous coup for the university to have them back here to promote the 600th anniversary celebrations.'

Afterwards, the pair went on a walkabout to meet the public, and Kate admitted she was struggling to match the pace of William.

‘I have to try to keep up with him, he’s always faster than me,’ she told a member of the public. Earlier, she joked: ‘I get told off if I don’t keep up.’

Later, Kate experienced another aspect of royal life, as she and her fiance dashed by helicopter to New Zealand House in London to join Prince Harry in signing the official book of condolences for the 113 confirmed victims of the New Zealand earthquake.

The Lady in Red: Kate Middleton is all smiles as she returns to the place where fairytale romance with Prince William began

By Daily Mail Reporter
26th February 2011
Daily Mail

For four years they enjoyed a cosy and largely anonymous life - blending in with their 7,500 fellow students as their romance quietly blossomed.

But yesterday Prince William and his bride-to-be Kate Middleton were very much the centre of attention as they made a nostalgic trip back to St Andrews University for their second public engagement together.

There were bagpipes, a military fly past and 3,000 cheering well-wishers standing five-deep behind crash barriers. There was even a brief protest from two anti-monarchists, shouting ‘abdicate Kate’.

Happy returns: The couple went back to St Andrews two months before the Royal Wedding

It was all a world away from when the royal couple met in the idyllic Scottish town ten years ago.

And, showing how far she has come, Kate hinted at her dreams of starting a family.

Speaking to William’s former art history tutor, the 29-year-old revealed she has kept her old university work to show the couple’s future children.

Professor Brendan Cassidy said: ‘She was telling me she kept all her essays. I said I had kept mine too, to show to my children. She said: “I will probably do the same."’

During a speech to undergraduates wearing traditional red robes, William used his fiancée’s full Christian name – said to be her preferred term of address – when he said: ‘This is a special moment for Catherine and me. It feels like coming home.

'Despite being one of Europe's leading research institutions, the third-oldest university in the English speaking world, and of course far and away the best university in the world, St Andrews still has that uncanny knack of feeling like home and so it must have done for generations of undergraduates before us.'

St Andrews claims to be Britain’s top match-making university – one in ten students meets their future spouse there. Referring to the ‘student satisfaction’ of which the university boasts, the prince said: ‘I think I get what that means.’

Radiant: Kate was wearing a dazzling red outfit while William was in a blue suit as they were led round the university by Sir Menzies Campbell MP

Similar expression: Kate pulled a funny face while having a private conversation with William today - and looked like her future father-in-law

Prince William, his brother Harry and Kate arrive at New Zealand House in London this afternoon to sign a book of condolences for those who lost their lives in the Christchurch earthquake

Kate arrives in London to sign the book of condolences, left, and, right, she puts pen to paper as William watches

William and Kate met as teenagers when they lived doors apart in digs at St Salvator’s House in 2001.

The prince was ‘very anxious, very nervous’ during his first weeks, Professor Cassidy recalled.

But he found his feet and grew close to Kate over the following year and they are believed to have become an item in 2003.

The couple braved the blustery Scottish weather which will be familiar to them from their student days as they launched the university's 600th anniversary celebrations.

Miss Middleton was dressed in a red suit with a black velvet belt and black leather gloves while William was wearing a dark blue suit.A Clarence House spokeswoman could not give any details about the suit's designer, saying only that it was an item from Miss Middleton's own wardrobe.

Well-wishers waited patiently against crash barriers in the rain this morning as they tried to get the best view of the Royal couple.Throughout yesterday’s visit – to mark the 15th-century institution’s 600th anniversary and William’s patronage of its fund-raising efforts – the prince and his fiancée shared smiles and knowing looks.

After her successful debut on the royal stage the previous day in Anglesey, Kate again proved how natural she can be with the adoring crowds.

Meet and greet: Kate goes to see gathered members of the public for the second day in a row after her first official engagement in Anglesey

Prince William meets the public during his visit to St Andrews - it was the first time he had been back since 2005

Knowing glance: Royal couple gaze at each other as they listen to speeches at their university

Relaxed: The future Queen flashed a wide smile as she returned to the 600-year-old university today

During her walkabout, she admitted she was struggling to match the pace of William.

‘I have to try to keep up with him, he’s always faster than me,’ she told a member of the public. Earlier, she joked: ‘I get told off if I don’t keep up.’

In a meet-and-greet session, William was reunited with his former cleaner. Mary Mathers, 67, revealed how she scrubbed, dusted and vacuumed William’s digs every day in his fresher year, and then paid weekly visits to the four-bedroom cottage he shared with Kate in their final two years.

Asked whether the prince kept his home tidy, Mrs Mathers – who retired two years ago – burst into laughter before saying diplomatically: ‘I’m going to say yes.’

Fit for a Queen: Radiant Kate grins as she sits on a throne-like chair at St Andrews university

Not a corgi: Kate strokes a dog as she meets the public outside the university

Prince William and his fiancee Kate sit with the Lord Lieutenant of the University, Menzies Campbell, during their visit

RAF jets fly over the university to mark the visit today

Hundreds of well-wishers gathered by the steel barriers hoping to catch a glimpse of William and Kate

Royal visit: Kate went on her first official engagement in Anglesey yesterday and was back at St Andrews today

The university also launched a £70,000 scholarship for needy students, as a royal wedding gift.

Later, Kate experienced another aspect of royal life, as she and her fiance dashed by helicopter to New Zealand House in London to join Prince Harry in signing the official book of condolences for the 113 confirmed victims of the New Zealand earthquake.

Launching the anniversary celebrations from the university's quadrangle, the ancient heart of the institution where 16th century buildings surround a small grass-covered square, he addressed 600 students and staff who had won their seats by ballot.

Blustery: Kate and William braved the cold - and windy - Scottish weather

Graduation: Kate and Prince William as they collected their degrees in June 2005

As the Prince and Miss Middleton arrived, their way was led by six mace bearers and he was introduced by former Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell, the university's Chancellor.

Events marking the milestone will be spread over three years as teaching began at the institution in 1410, chartered status was granted a year later and the university was formally constituted by a series of papal bulls issued by Pope Benedict XIII in 1413.

Dr John Walden, a senior lecturer in geography who taught the Prince said: 'It's just a fabulous coup for the university to have them back here to promote the 600th anniversary celebrations.'

Recalling William's time as a student, he said: 'He was fabulous. He made life very easy for us. He tried as hard as he could to experience a normal student programme.

'He did a very good job of that. I'm amazed that he managed to stay focused with all the obvious attention. He managed to stay focused for four years and keep his head down and get some work done.'

Royal return: The couple shared a house together as undergraduates before they graduated in June 2005

All smiles: Kate waves to the crowd as the Royal couple arrive at Trearddur Bay, Anglesey, on Thursday

The official £5 coin to mark the royal wedding was revealed yesterday by the Royal Mint. Featuring Kate and William looking into each other’s eyes, the design includes their first names and the date of the ceremony, April 29th 2011.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited: