Catchin' Z's on the Job

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Man gets parking fine after filming officers dozing - CTV News

Driving has been a part of my work life on and off for years. I don't know all the specifics of this particular case but I have been instructed by numerous bosses to pull over and snooze if I need to. The alternative of dozing my way along the highway just is not acceptable. Why do people have such a problem with people sleeping on the job? Even the transit guy a while back that got caught sleeping in his booth may have had a reason. Maybe he was up all night with a sick kid. Being tired or sleepy may not be something that can be avoided. The alternative is to take the day off and pay them a sick day. Generally speaking, I think people make mountains out of molehills on this issue.

That said, giving the guy a ticket just makes them look vindictive and silly.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
HA! Now there is a ticket you want to take to court and fight. Get the officer before a judge, talk about what he was doing when he noticed the videographer was illegally parked. Should be a goodun! I think the guy was in his rights as a good sanitarian, checking if the officer was in need of assistance. As for the cop, Les Boot!

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
But as the amateur videographer crept up to the window of the squad car, the officers get up, the video shows.
as quoted fronm the article

creptpast participle, past tense of creep (Verb)

1. Move slowly and carefully, esp. in order to avoid being heard or noticed: "they were taught how to creep up on an enemy".
And the police woke up when they noticed him.

I think its suspicious someone had to creep up to a cop car.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I can excuse a ticket booth worker for the TTC, but a cop? *shakes head*

Definitely puts things into perspective though.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I can excuse a ticket booth worker for the TTC, but a cop? *shakes head*

The two cops I know here in the city work vice, so they're often up all night doing vice work, then have to work their typical shift afterward. If they were catching z's on the job chances are their 'higher ups' would not be surprised, nor would they be terribly out of line.

Keep in mind too that what someone does on their coffee break is supposed to be up to them. Hubby closes the door to his office and takes a nap regularly. I don't see a reason for a cop not to tip their head back. Frankly, I'd rather a cop who's had a nap.... lol.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Drinking coffee and pounding donuts all day is inevitably going to lead to a sugar crash. There is no excuse for cops sleeping in cars at the side of the road. No government employee is paid to sleep on the job. If you don't feel up to working, take the day off and get it sorted so you can work for the pay you are given. City workers are notorious.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Drinking coffee and pounding donuts all day is inevitably going to lead to a sugar crash. There is no excuse for cops sleeping in cars at the side of the road. No government employee is paid to sleep on the job. If you don't feel up to working, take the day off and get it sorted so you can work for the pay you are given. City workers are notorious.

Can you give me a good reason that an employee can't/shouldn't nap on a coffee break?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Can you give me a good reason that an employee can't/shouldn't nap on a coffee break?

In sleep you lose track of time and your surroundings. Someone else is paying the freight. A 10 or 15 minute break is not enough time to come to a relaxed and meditative state where some restoration and rejuvenation can take place. Someone being unconscious and entering rem sleep takes some time to recover especially when suddenly awakened. This is not the emergency responder you want helping you. Allowing someone to take a nap is easily subject to abused and creates conflict in the work place. What happens when someone doesn't get their nap because it's always to busy?

Many employers don't allow you to leave the property on breaks because too many people don't return on time and costs amount to significant levels over time.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
No government employee is paid to sleep on the job. If you don't feel up to working, take the day off and get it sorted so you can work for the pay you are given. City workers are notorious.

It is written in our safety policy that, if we are too tired and feel we are nodding, we must pull over and nap if need be. Why do you find paying them to stay home for a day is better than paying them to nap for 15 minutes?

So yes, government employees are paid to sleep on the job and it isn't whether you feel up to working. In many instances it's about how much you have worked. I have worked around the clock before and the reason I did is because the situation dictated I not go home.

Power nap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Considering the targets some less-than-great cops have painted on the uniform, there are better places to catch a few Z's. These guys were caught on camera. The photographer should be congratulated. It could easily have been something a lot more lethal.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In sleep you lose track of time and your surroundings. Someone else is paying the freight. A 10 or 15 minute break is not enough time to come to a relaxed and meditative state where some restoration and rejuvenation can take place. Someone being unconscious and entering rem sleep takes some time to recover especially when suddenly awakened. This is not the emergency responder you want helping you. Allowing someone to take a nap is easily subject to abused and creates conflict in the work place. What happens when someone doesn't get their nap because it's always to busy?

Many employers don't allow you to leave the property on breaks because too many people don't return on time and costs amount to significant levels over time.

You might not be able to... doesn't mean no one can. Hubby regularly sits down on the couch here at home, nods off for ten minutes, and pops up wide awake and refreshed. He does the same at work, setting the timer on his phone, when he decides to opt for a nap in his office instead of a donut in the coffee room. When he was in the field he'd do it regularly, as would most hands, between stands of pipe on the rig.

A worker, especially a driving worker, needing or taking a nap, is not as unheard of as you're making it out to be.

Considering the targets some less-than-great cops have painted on the uniform, there are better places to catch a few Z's. These guys were caught on camera. The photographer should be congratulated. It could easily have been something a lot more lethal.

It'd be just as easy to sneak up on a cop taking his lunch break with his back turned to you in Timmies if you wanted to get lethal on cops.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It is written in our safety policy that, if we are too tired and feel we are nodding, we must pull over and nap if need be. Why do you find paying them to stay home for a day is better than paying them to nap for 15 minutes?

So yes, government employees are paid to sleep on the job and it isn't whether you feel up to working. In many instances it's about how much you have worked. I have worked around the clock before and the reason I did is because the situation dictated I not go home.

Power nap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you work for the government, if so what part? Tired works are much less productive than workers who have had a good night sleep and are refreshed for work. People who drive round the clock are dangerous on the road and shouldn't be there.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
well it doesn't sound like everyone was asleep where they were at the time either, or this would be a non-issue. lol.
Way back when I worked for MTO, we had cruisers pull into the dome - out of sight - so a cop could catch a power nap. No problem with that. Nobody's going to easily walk up to them in there. Cops aren't the most popular folk in the world among certain segments of the population. The photographer stopped his vehicle close to theirs. He was close enough to get a good shot. It's not the nap. It's dropping the guard that is stupid.

I don't think your Hubby is as choice a target.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Do you work for the government, if so what part?

Utilities.

Tired works are much less productive than workers who have had a good night sleep and are refreshed for work.

I don't think anybody would disagree with that.

People who drive round the clock are dangerous on the road and shouldn't be there.

Most people know that as well however, tell that to the public when you have a geyser coming out of the road because of a broken water main....or a breakdown on a pump that feeds chlorine into the drinking water....too bad so sad! I've worked my eight hours and I'm going home. That might happen in your world but here in reality, it's a different story.

Then there are issues with staffing levels

Mass police, firefighter layoffs begin in Camden | NJ.com

With half the police and a third of the firefighters gone, do you really believe the remaining workers are not going to be overworked, stressed and tired?