Should this woman be habitually locked up?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't understand what "habitually locked up" means. Yes there are and Harper will be opening new prisons and 4000 women will fill them so they gotta start somewhere.

If you get lonely you can talk to them. Just dial "1-800 Hello BC" and you'll find a lonely convict on the other end working as a slave.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Smart woman,
each time she is arrested she is sent to a low security prison; which in Canada, amounts to video games, free laundry, a warm cot, three meals a day, a gym, a library, access to a computer, et al. In other words, taxpayers money are used to prop up this pyscho and give her a better lifestyle than most lower-middle class families.

Too bad the Victorian days are long ago or otherwise we would just shove her into an old fashion mental asylum (not to be mistaken with contemporary asylums which are vacation homes)

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Abortions are a legal medical procedure. People have a right to seek legal medical procedures in a way that is safe and harassment free. She knowingly breaks the law to harasses people over and over, which is why she has spent most of the last 20 years in prison. She could easily avoid prison by respecting the law. She can even protest if she likes as long as she respects the minimum distance requirement.

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but no one has the right to harass others who don't share your beliefs.

I suspect the reason why you seem to have a hard time understanding this woman's crime has to do with your beliefs regarding abortion. If she was harassing people seeking other types of legal medical procedures, like dialysis or blood transfusions, you might be less sympathetic.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Abortions are a legal medical procedure. People have a right to seek legal medical procedures in a way that is safe and harassment free. She knowingly breaks the law to harasses people over and over, which is why she has spent most of the last 20 years in prison. she could easily avoid prison by respecting the law. She is entitled to her beliefs, but she has no right to try to impose her beliefs on others.

I suspect you seem to have a hard time understanding why harassing people seeking abortions is a crime is because of your own beliefs regarding abortion. If she was harassing people seeking other types of legal medical procedures, like dialysis or a blood transfusion, you might be less sympathetic.

No doubt.

I don't understand what "habitually locked up" means. Yes there are and Harper will be opening new prisons and 4000 women will fill them so they gotta start somewhere.

If you get lonely you can talk to them. Just dial "1-800 Hello BC" and you'll find a lonely convict on the other end working as a slave.

How about on a frequent and on going basis? :smile:

Abortions are a legal medical procedure. People have a right to seek legal medical procedures in a way that is safe and harassment free. She knowingly breaks the law to harasses people over and over, which is why she has spent most of the last 20 years in prison. She could easily avoid prison by respecting the law. She can even protest if she likes as long as she respects the minimum distance requirement.

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but no one has the right to harass others who don't share your beliefs.

I suspect you seem to have a hard time understanding why harassing people seeking abortions is a crime is because of your own beliefs regarding abortion. If she was harassing people seeking other types of legal medical procedures, like dialysis or a blood transfusion, you might be less sympathetic.

I suppose in our system legality trumps morality. :smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I am pro-life (do not mistake me with anti-abortion), but even I see why the law has no real tangible choice but to incarcerate someone who breaches the law regarding the 60ft 'bubble' that allows women access to legal medical treatment. Especially given the fact that it is a real, valid, medical need in some cases.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I am pro-life (do not mistake me with anti-abortion), but even I see why the law has no real tangible choice but to incarcerate someone who breaches the law regarding the 60ft 'bubble' that allows women access to legal medical treatment. Especially given the fact that it is a real, valid, medical need in some cases.

A fine or community service may be more appropriate.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Community service sounds about right,
being trash she'll have no objections to picking up trash on the highway. Especially with drunk RCMP officers in British Columbia who have a tendency to run over people on the road, the Ontarians should make arrangements to send her to the west coast (after all we already take in their homeless and hipster youth, adding in crazy grandmothers wouldn't change a thing)

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I suppose in our system legality trumps morality. :smile:

In a free society, the law must trump morality, because everyone has their own version of morality. Iran is an example of how screwed up things can get when the state tries to impose one version of morality on everyone.

I support this woman's right to choose not to have an abortion. I don't support her attempts to impose her morality on others.

That said, abortion is a gray area, since the rights of a mother must be balanced with the rights of a child. In Canada, you can legally have an abortion right up until labor. I have a problem with that, because at some point a fetus should have rights too.

According to my morality, people should be able to get an abortion at any time during the first three months with little interference. After three months, the person should have to justify their abortion. During the last three months, the fetus has rights that must be respected and abortion can only be justified for serious medical reasons.

But I'm a guy, so I wouldn't presume to impose my morality on a pregnant woman...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
In a free society, the law must trump morality, because everyone has their own version of morality. Iran is an example of how screwed up things can get when the state tries to impose one version of morality on everyone.

I support this woman's right to choose not to have an abortion. I don't support her attempts to impose her morality on others.

That said, abortion is a gray area, since the rights of a mother must be balanced with the rights of a child. In Canada, you can legally have an abortion right up until labor. I have a problem with that, because at some point a fetus should have rights too.

According to my morality, people should be able to get an abortion at any time during the first three months with little interference. After three months, the person should have to justify their abortion. During the last three months, the fetus has rights that must be respected and abortion can only be justified for serious medical reasons.

But I'm a guy, so I wouldn't presume to impose my morality on a pregnant woman...

Well, you know, I'm not a Muslim, so far be it from me to pass any moral judgement when the guy next door butchers his daughter for wearing a miniskirt.

Ludicrous argument.

Has the left EVER heard of freedom of speech, the right to peacefully assemble?

The lady does NOT "impose her morality on others" by speaking, by holding up signs, by protesting, and certainly not by praying.

Were she harassing passers-by, or blocking the entrance to the clinic, or throwing blood on clients, or anything that put her in anothers' personal space, you might have a point.

But she is not.

This country is increasingly becoming farcical.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, you know, I'm not a Muslim, so far be it from me to pass any moral judgement when the guy next door butchers his daughter for wearing a miniskirt.

Ludicrous argument.

Has the left EVER heard of freedom of speech, the right to peacefully assemble?

The lady does NOT "impose her morality on others" by speaking, by holding up signs, by protesting, and certainly not by praying.

Were she harassing passers-by, or blocking the entrance to the clinic, or throwing blood on clients, or anything that put her in anothers' personal space, you might have a point.

But she is not.

This country is increasingly becoming farcical.

If you can explain to me why she HAS to do what she does from within the legally defined zone, rather than from outside of it, then I might perhaps buy into what you're saying. As it is, the law has given the women a zone of access to the clinics. There's no reason for this woman to be in that zone, plain and simple, when she can just as easily hold her sign and say her prayers from outside of it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you can explain to me why she HAS to do what she does from within the legally defined zone, rather than from outside of it, then I might perhaps buy into what you're saying. As it is, the law has given the women a zone of access to the clinics. There's no reason for this woman to be in that zone, plain and simple, when she can just as easily hold her sign and say her prayers from outside of it.

Good point. I still don't think she should be locked up (especially as prisons are overcrowded) while really dangerous people are still walking the streets.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Without knowing a lot more about her, her actions, and the legal system's dealings with her, than this article provided, I can't really agree or disagree with you JLM, about where she should or shouldn't be or how they ought to handle her.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Simple really....twenty meters isolates here from those she wishes to influence....it effectively silences her....unless she shows up with a megaphone.

As long as she does not interfere with clients, the women's "zone of access" is not affected.