There should be a big movement of democracy.

jellyfish16

Time Out
Nov 30, 2010
Recently, there were democratic storms in thunisia and egypt and haiti. Each of those movements busted into the dictatorial goverments samely. those contries' residents were sicked of corrputed goverment and chronical shortage of food. most of experts have a future view that those movements to overthrow the dictatorship will be going on for a while. i saw the news that the most anxious country in dictatorship is Northkorea. Northkorea has maintained it's totalitarian for more than 60 years. as you know, that system is like the past authority of the king. i think at least most of past kings were quite concentrated on saving people to get labor force. but two Kims didn't. severe starvation and military first policy and nuke & missile development..etc. there are a lot of problems with Northkorea. i wonder how long Kim's successor can drag it's poor country. i guess, kim's existence won't be no more important in Northkoera in about 10 years.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Where did you read that North Korea was worried about revolution? I'd like to read that. Everything I've ever heard about North Korea (from apparent scholars of the country and diplomats) seems to point to the regime having a firm and long lasting grip on power expected to last at least another generation. With the only real point of instability being internally within the ruling elites.

I've heard it said though that in the past defectors claimed the people really did believe the government's propaganda, but recent defectors are claiming that the effect is beginning to erode.

Apparently few people expected Egypt or Tunisia to ever go the way it has recently, so the same could be said of North Korea. Many totalitarian regimes are hallow and one sign of weakness (such as in the Middle East now or in Eastern Europe twenty years ago) and the whole edifice would crumble. Can this be said of North Korea, I'm not sure. I'd hazard to guess that more than Iran last year and China during the Tiananmen Square protests twenty years ago, the North Korean regime is willing to violently crush a popular uprising.

jellyfish16

Time Out
Nov 30, 2010
thank you for reply. I read some articles(written in english) made from Korea's press. I use Korea herald site when i want to know about Northkorea's situation. sometimes i would watch documentaries covering Northkorea problems. (BBC docu was good for me to understand their life specifically, you can see it on yutube or other ucc sites) . i absolutely agree with you that most of countries that have maintained totalitarian regime are quite weak against world's change and the changing public. i think, the reason Northkroean can't resist against it's cruel goverment is that they have no power to collapse two dictators. (Most of Northkoreans have been suffered from starvation)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
In order for a popular movement to overthrow a tyrannical government two things need to happen: first, it must be proven that the leadership is tyrannical; second, that a ruthless oligarchical class has been created or expanded by the tyrant; third that the opposition has majority support.

Can you show me where these three factors have occurred in North Korea?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
thank you for reply. I read some articles(written in english) made from Korea's press. I use Korea herald site when i want to know about Northkorea's situation. sometimes i would watch documentaries covering Northkorea problems. (BBC docu was good for me to understand their life specifically, you can see it on yutube or other ucc sites) . i absolutely agree with you that most of countries that have maintained totalitarian regime are quite weak against world's change and the changing public. i think, the reason Northkroean can't resist against it's cruel goverment is that they have no power to collapse two dictators. (Most of Northkoreans have been suffered from starvation)

Am I going to have to find these articles myself or can you direct me to them? ;)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Islamic revolutions have run their course and the young people are now wanting to
join the modern world. You can only pull the wool over peoples eyes for so long, and
the Internet and cell phones are things the Islamic Revolution never counted on and I
hear chickens coming in the distance. Like climate, and time time, human evolution is
also a constantly changing thing. In these countries they are throwing off the chains of
oppression and here we are putting them on. The Anti Happy Police are everywhere.
they want all of us to ride bikes, eat organic food, not throw snowballs, and for God's
Sake don't even mention the word fun.
Conformity is everywhere, history books are being re-written to reflect political correctness
and what you can and cannot do in parks, playgrounds and on the streets is being posted
everywhere.
Perhaps it is time we in the west told the politically correct crowd to take their laws and shove
them, maybe we should protest in the streets too.

As for Korea, I think their firm grip on power will show severe cracks once the village idiot
Kim, dies. The place will unravel like a cat playing with a ball of twine. At present though
I don't see demonstrations coming in the near future. The one place I see the possibility of
trouble is Europe. The problem there will center around two issues both will be destructive.
First the state of pension reforms in some of those countries. the second problem is yes
you guessed is Immigration. I know a lot of folks in Europe and they have had enough of the
folks coming from Islamic countries especially and wanting to change the landscape.
It is coming to a head in the very and I mean very near future.

Right now the world is a very dangerous place and a long way away from anything that even
looks like democracy, international politics, economics, and insurgencies are causing our
civilization to spring a lot of leaks. We will see many stormy days ahead.
Looking at the Middle East Iran could see some serious violence along with Saudi Arabia
and Jordan. The one place that has a dictatorship Syria, is not likely to see riots and that
is because for the most part Syria is more of a secular based nation. The BAATH Party is in
power there. Many of the old Islamic traditional countries are in for a rude shock and it is coming
like a tidal wave.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Where did you read that North Korea was worried about revolution? I'd like to read that. Everything I've ever heard about North Korea (from apparent scholars of the country and diplomats) seems to point to the regime having a firm and long lasting grip on power expected to last at least another generation. With the only real point of instability being internally within the ruling elites.

I've heard it said though that in the past defectors claimed the people really did believe the government's propaganda, but recent defectors are claiming that the effect is beginning to erode.

Apparently few people expected Egypt or Tunisia to ever go the way it has recently, so the same could be said of North Korea. Many totalitarian regimes are hallow and one sign of weakness (such as in the Middle East now or in Eastern Europe twenty years ago) and the whole edifice would crumble. Can this be said of North Korea, I'm not sure. I'd hazard to guess that more than Iran last year and China during the Tiananmen Square protests twenty years ago, the North Korean regime is willing to violently crush a popular uprising.

Welcome to the forums Corduroy. I'm impressed by your posts so far. You will find intelligent debate and people who will challenge your opnions. But we also have many trolls and rude people here too. I hope to read more of your posts in the future.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Welcome to the forums Corduroy. I'm impressed by your posts so far. You will find intelligent debate and people who will challenge your opnions. But we also have many trolls and rude people here too. I hope to read more of your posts in the future.

Thanks! I've seen more trolls and rudeness so far but I haven't given up hope yet :p