Bono supports hate speech?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Looks that way to me...

BBC News - U2's Bono criticised for endorsing Shoot the Boer song

The Irish pop star Bono has been criticised for apparently endorsing a song which include the lyric: "Shoot the Boer".
The U2 front man said the song, which was sung during the fight against apartheid, had its place, like music supporting the Irish Republican Army.
His comments came at the start of U2's tour of South Africa.
But callers to local radio stations said the song was designed to stir up racial hatred.
"That's hate speech. They don't know our history at all," said one caller to a South African radio talk show.

I wonder if someone would get away with "Shoot the Kaffir" or "Shoot the Spic" or "Shoot the niggar"?

I wonder if he'd endorse those names, because they had their place in time?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Looks that way to me...

I wonder if someone would get away with "Shoot the Kaffir" or "Shoot the Spic" or "Shoot the niggar"?

Well, like most humans, Bono has his blind spots........

Did nobody notice his justification????

The U2 front man said the song, which was sung during the fight against apartheid, had its place, like music supporting the Irish Republican Army.

You know, the IRA, that bunch of murdering SOBs.....it is to laugh.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Looks that way to me...

I especially like this justification:

In an interview with the South African Sunday Times, Bono said: "When I was a kid and I'd sing songs I remember my uncles singing... rebel songs about the early days of the Irish Republican Army."

If memory serves, I believe that the KKK used to sing 'rebel songs' as well.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.... the champions of free speech, speak up.

The OP went over your head so fast and so high, you didn't even hear the sonic boom!!!

My point was the championing of free speech. Not the stifling thereof, by selective acceptance of what is or is not appropriate.

He has every right to that opinion, and even more so to express it. The fact that you would be raked over the coals, tarred and feathered, if you were to use any of the examples I presented, is the stifling of free speech!!!

Thanx for the laugh Gh.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

The OP went over your head so fast and so high, you didn't even hear the sonic boom!!!

My point was the championing of free speech. Not the stifling thereof, by selective acceptance of what is or is not appropriate.

He has every right to that opinion, and even more so to express it. The fact that you would be raked over the coals, tarred and feathered, if you were to use any of the examples I presented, is the stifling of free speech!!!

Thanx for the laugh Gh.

What Bono and the apologist brigade don't like is that there is an equally poignant right of others to criticize the comments made by the folks like Bono.

He (or anyone) is completely entitled to say whatever they like, but in the real world, there are consequences applied to your actions.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What Bono and the apologist brigade don't like is that there is an equally poignant right of others to criticize the comments made by the folks like Bono.

He (or anyone) is completely entitled to say whatever they like, but in the real world, there are consequences applied to your actions.
Bingo!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Hypocrites, one and all.....and no, I'm not about to spoon feed the terminally stupid.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hypocrites, one and all.....and no, I'm not about to spoon feed the terminally stupid.
Wow, even when you get fed you still don't get it.

I know why you would say "I'm not about to spoon feed the terminally stupid". Because you can't. You mouthed off and got schooled. Now you'll act all superior and pretend like you see something we don't.

Dude that's sad.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
whatever bear...you continue to live in your self delusional, holier than thou world.
Ya, ya, whatever Gh.

I really don't give a rats ass anymore.
Anymore? You've been nipping at my heels for months dude.

Paybacks a bitch.

Suck it up buttercup.

You can spoon-feed yourself, even while wearing a hockey helmet?

Truly impressive
Ya, but the yummy windows are just out of his reach.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So, given that CB feels this song is "hate speech", it would appear that he moonlights for the Broadcast Standards Council. Money For Nothing is hate speech, Spike Jones' "The Fuhrer's Face" is obviously hate speech and I guess "The Night They drove Old Dixie Down" could be considered hate speech as well. Will these silly people kindly **** off and leave the rest of us alone.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Bono has his beliefs, that's fine. I don't much care for his music, and I don't pay any attention to his politics.

I must go find the latest political statement by Lady Gaga, that's bound to be important.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Bono has his beliefs, that's fine. I don't much care for his music, and I don't pay any attention to his politics.

I must go find the latest political statement by Lady Gaga, that's bound to be important.
While most award winners make sure to thank their bands, managers, fans, studio and label heads and significant others during acceptance speeches, Lady Gaga almost never lets an opportunity slip by without making a pitch for a cause. Given her massive support base in the gay community, typically that cause has to do with gay rights, and Sunday night's VMAs were no exception.
Gaga walked the white carpet with four servicemen and women who had been discharged from the armed services for being openly gay or bisexual, a violation of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. She discussed their plight on the carpet and also paid homage to her gay audience by shouting them out during her win for Best Female Video for her "Bad Romance" clip, thanking "all the gays for remixing this video over and over."

On Tuesday, she also exchanged tweets with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, congratulating him for scheduling a vote next week on the repeal of "don't ask." It was just the latest in a rich history of political declaration from Gaga, but she's not the only one who has used the VMA stage as a platform to make a political, personal or just plain confusing statement.