Dr. Charles Smith.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Does anyone remember this maniac?

Charles Randal Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mr. Smith somehow got a job as chief pathologist at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children. His pedantic, arrogant, treatment of people in
that hospital put a large number of excellent medical practioners in very awkward positions.

Some of you might remember Susan Nelles who also ran afoul of Dr Death. I don't know how many patients he killed
but he is in trial this week and we should get some answers.

Inside thestar.com

24 Bombardier employees claim $50M jackpot

Golden Globes take Gervais back?

Inside Egypt's massive demonstration

How to drive in a Snowpocalypse

Lines of credit: 10 things you need to know

Province to compensate victims of Dr. Charles Smith

Published On Tue Aug 10 2010

Sherry Sherret-Robinson, pictured with her fiance Aaron Weese, on Dec. 7, 2009, just after she was exonerated by the Ontario Court of Appeal in the death of her infant because of flawed testimony by notorious pathologist Dr. Charles Smith.
Colin McConnell/Toronto Star file photo
Theresa Boyle Health Reporter

Related

The provincial government has announced compensation of up to $250,000 for victims of disgraced pathologist Dr. Charles Smith, but critics decry the amount as outrageously inadequate.
“I believe the amount falls way short of what some of them should receive for the hardship they have endured,” said lawyer David Robins, who represents some of the victims.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
That asshole needs to be locked up for a long, long time.

His Supervisors need to be exiled to someplace like High Prairie Alberta there to contemplate their mediocrity.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Talk about a can of worms.

I don't know what more can be said about this guy. As long as he's never allowed near another decision, any other form of punishment is probably deserved.

Among the issues that are surrounding this group of cases, one that sticks out is the death sentence.
How many of these people convicted would have been killed for the crimes they didn't commit? 14 years is long enough to exhaust appeals and so, what do those who support the death penalty feel they could do to make up for that?

What about Tammy Marquardt who has spent 14 years in prison convicted of murdering her 2/12 year old kid because of this guy making false statements and bungled labwork. Had her other two kids taken away and put into foster homes. Who knows where they are now? How do you make up for that? For those with kids, try and put a monetary value on them right now. If someone is going to take them away from you, how much money should you get for it?

I can't think how you would go about making a settlement for that sort of thing.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Some of the things this doorknob has done just puts your brain in a spin.

Topic : Dr. Charles Smith - thestar.com

I'm surprized that Smith doesn't have at least a broken nose and a couple black eyes. That could be remedied by putting him with the parents for a few minutes I'm sure.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The College of Physicians and Surgeons has taken his licence to practice in Ontario away. I think it was in the news that he had let that lapse in 1999. So they have really managed to make themselves look like a useless group not worthy of being considered an organization in the broadest of terms.

There should be a federal regulator of all medical practitioners in this country that monitors all these characters.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The College of Physicians and Surgeons has taken his licence to practice in Ontario away. I think it was in the news that he had let that lapse in 1999. So they have really managed to make themselves look like a useless group not worthy of being considered an organization in the broadest of terms.

There should be a federal regulator of all medical practitioners in this country that monitors all these characters.

I think what has to happen in the case of murder investigations is that the forensics team must operate completely independent of the police to search for facts that are not dependent on whether or not the police have a suspect and if they think they have their man/woman.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The guy over-ruled a local coroner's findings of crib death - in a child who was known to be a SIDS risk - and decided the kid had been shaken. How does a person regain trust for a partner who legal authority claims killed your child?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I think what has to happen in the case of murder investigations is that the forensics team must operate completely independent of the police to search for facts that are not dependent on whether or not the police have a suspect and if they think they have their man/woman.

I agree with that. Problem is the infighting.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Does anyone remember this maniac?

Charles Randal Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mr. Smith somehow got a job as chief pathologist at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children. His pedantic, arrogant, treatment of people in
that hospital put a large number of excellent medical practioners in very awkward positions.

Yeah, a real f******g A&&hole! How many lives did he destroy? We really need Ole Sparky up here.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah, a real f******g A&&hole! How many lives did he destroy? We really need Ole Sparky up here.

Yeah so that most of those lives he destroyed would be dead instead of in prison. Good thinking.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
You don't make much sense at the best of times, but I think your I.Q. just dropped into the tundra zone. :lol:

The point he's making is that some of the people whose lives Smith ruined might have found themself on death row as a result of his negligence.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Heard today, his license to practice has been taken away. Dunno if any charges are pending. Sure as hell should be. Innocent people went to jail on his sayso.

:roll:..........so this is ONE they caught.............

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Because he was considered an 'expert witness', his authority was assumed.

In a court of law, there is a procedure, wherein someone wants to declared you as an 'expert witness', and the other side has a chance to agree or disagree;if they accept you as an expert witness, then your credentials and experience are not subject to debate, you are considered to be knowledgable in you field.

The problem with this guy is that he was considered an 'expert witness', but he made up the facts as he went along. He should be in jail for the rest of his life.

Can you imagine being told by an 'expert' that your spouse must have killed your baby?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The problem with this guy is that he was considered an 'expert witness', but he made up the facts as he went along. He should be in jail for the rest of his life.

Can you imagine being told by an 'expert' that your spouse must have killed your baby?

It's nightmarish to imagine, but it is also the reason I do not support the death penalty as the system for all its science is still not without fault. As the former Doctor Smith illustrates expertly.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You don't make much sense at the best of times, but I think your I.Q. just dropped into the tundra zone. :lol:

Usually when you were a young pup, someone who took to mentoring you would have quietly told you that when you find things don't make sense to you, be quiet and listen to those around you so that you can pick up the drift of what is being said and then, later when you can have a quiet word, you could ask a question or two to clear up any foggy notions you have on what you've heard.

I guess they just put you out to play didn't they.

Because he was considered an 'expert witness', his authority was assumed.

In a court of law, there is a procedure, wherein someone wants to declared you as an 'expert witness', and the other side has a chance to agree or disagree;if they accept you as an expert witness, then your credentials and experience are not subject to debate, you are considered to be knowledgable in you field.

Not just expert witness, this guy was considered a guru when it came to forensic evidence and court.

It's nightmarish to imagine, but it is also the reason I do not support the death penalty as the system for all its science is still not without fault. As the former Doctor Smith illustrates expertly.

Bingo!