Funeral for Officer Sgt Ryan Russell - Some people are just plain Ignorant

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Funeral for Officer Sgt Ryan Russell - Some people are just plain Ignorant - Some Letters to the Editor -

My opinion is clear in the Thread Title.
http://www.nationalpost.com/Costly+mourning+fallen+officer/4129489/story.html

Who pays for the more than 12,000 police and firefighters who assembled in Toronto on Tuesday for the funeral of Sergeant Ryan Russell, a stranger to nearly all of them? Would the same attention be given if it had been a garbageman who slipped in front of the stolen snowplow? Or a snowplow driver? Or an ordinary citizen?
Bill Corfield, London, Ont

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/01/19/todays-letters-a-grim-reminder-%e2%80%98there-but-for-the-grace-of-god-go-i%e2%80%99/
Re: Costly Mourning Of A Fallen Officer, letter to the editor, Jan. 19.

In his heartless letter to the editor, Bill Corfield asks: “Who pays for the more than 1,200 police and firefighters to attend” the funeral for Sergeant Ryan Russell on Tuesday.
Allow me to answer. In terms of dollars and cents, police officers, firefighters and medics pay their own way, accommodations, meals and other expenses, which pours a lot of money into the local economy. As for the more important cost, we all pay. Citizens pay by losing a fine police officer, colleagues lose a good friend and brother in arms, a mother and father lose a beloved son, a sister loses a brother, a courageous wife loses her best friend and soul mate, and perhaps most tragically, a beautiful little boy loses his Daddy.
That, Mr. Corfield, is the true cost of this tragedy
Eric Macmillan, Toronto firefighter, Toronto.

While I cannot explain to letter-writer Bill Corfield the bond or sense of duty among police officers that would see us fly hundreds of kilometres for the funeral of a fallen colleague (despite him being a stranger), allow me to reassure Mr. Corfield that in all the funerals I have attended, I have done so at my own cost. I imagine it was the same for those of us that attended the funeral of Sergeant Ryan Russell.
B.W. London, Richmond, B.C.

Ordinary citizens realize that police officers put themselves in harm’s way to protect us. They are not paid large sums of money and they routinely do not get the respect they deserve.
At the very least, when one of these officers dies in the line of duty, we should all mourn. A large and well-attended funeral is the least that the public can do, plus it helps show how important these men and women really are.
Bill Waddell, Mississauga, Ont.

All would agree that police work, integral to a civilized society, can be dangerous and should be highly valued and respected. However, the death of an officer is not a national tragedy, and does not warrant such a grandiose display of pomp, ceremony and pseudogrief as that evident in Toronto on Tuesday.
State funerals should be reserved for statesmen.Morton Doran, Fairmont, B.C.Policing is hardly the only profession whose members are at risk. Officers are neither saints nor heroes. Such a display of solidarity among legions of police, rather than engendering respect in the population, is more likely to foster disdain for an organization that appears self-serving, elitist and focused on self-aggrandizement.
State funerals should be reserved for statesmen.
Morton Doran, Fairmont, B.C.

Police funerals are now completely over the top and seem to be more about a universe of lawmen projecting an image — the individual’s death and the family’s mourning seem almost secondary.
Recently in Tofino, B.C., we had the peculiar spectacle of a funeral having more officials than the population of the town. The deceased, in this case, were ambulance technicians killed in an accident, but most of the attendees seem to have been police officers, some from the United States.
The funeral appeared to be about union solidarity as much as anything.
Simon Twist, Victoria.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
All would agree that police work, integral to a civilized society, can be dangerous and should be highly valued and respected. However, the death of an officer is not a national tragedy, and does not warrant such a grandiose display of pomp, ceremony and pseudogrief as that evident in Toronto on Tuesday.
State funerals should be reserved for statesmen.Morton Doran, Fairmont, B.C.Policing is hardly the only profession whose members are at risk. Officers are neither saints nor heroes. Such a display of solidarity among legions of police, rather than engendering respect in the population, is more likely to foster disdain for an organization that appears self-serving, elitist and focused on self-aggrandizement.
State funerals should be reserved for statesmen.
Morton Doran, Fairmont, B.C.

Police funerals are now completely over the top and seem to be more about a universe of lawmen projecting an image — the individual’s death and the family’s mourning seem almost secondary.
Recently in Tofino, B.C., we had the peculiar spectacle of a funeral having more officials than the population of the town. The deceased, in this case, were ambulance technicians killed in an accident, but most of the attendees seem to have been police officers, some from the United States.
The funeral appeared to be about union solidarity as much as anything.
Simon Twist, Victoria.

I agree with these letters and some of the other comments as well.

The whole country shuts down when a cop gets killed but when someone other than a cop gets killed on the job it's a small story in the back of a newspaper.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Humanity disgusts me with its lack of humanity sometimes.

The old adage about common knowledge does not always hold true - Yet if a person has watched on TV any of these funerals for Officers, the news casters always mention the the Officers attending pay their own freight.

But the comments about the town is to small, but locals get the benefits of money spent - Don't hear them crying about that.

Or the ones that state they are Elitist etc - Show of union force - What a bunch of self centered SOB's.

They are just ignorant people in knowledge, compassion and showing respect for the dead. This Officer did nothing wrong - Yet they use a funeral to condemn the Police.

They do not know what common decency is and cannot relate to the bond that the Police, Firefighters, Soldiers and others that put there lives on the line to help or rescue a person, such as the ones in Search & Rescue, or the ones that go into high risk situations because a person needs help.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
There are certain deaths that are outside the realm of normal duty, normal circumstance, normal 'expectation' if you will. When these deaths happen, communities rally. I figure if a farmer can get an honour guard in a poor farming community after he was crushed to death by his tractor (this was a family instance, sorry, no news paper clippings to link to), then a police officer who dies a similar death deserves a similar show of sorrow from his fellow officers.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
There are certain deaths that are outside the realm of normal duty, normal circumstance, normal 'expectation' if you will. When these deaths happen, communities rally. I figure if a farmer can get an honour guard in a poor farming community after he was crushed to death by his tractor (this was a family instance, sorry, no news paper clippings to link to), then a police officer who dies a similar death deserves a similar show of sorrow from his fellow officers.

A nice private funeral just like the rest of us.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
As the son of a retired police officer, and a friend of a murdered police officer's son, I can say without any hesitation that Bill Corfield can kiss my ****ing ass. These men and women put their lives on the line for pathetic worms like "Mr." Corfield and all he worries about is how much it costs him? This pisses me off to no end.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Union garbage from an organization that protects the lazy and stupid.

When I see a garbageman disarming a mentally ill person with a knife, or going undercover in an anti gang task forces I will hold these civil-workers in the same light as our police officers.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
When I see a garbageman disarming a mentally ill person with a knife, or going undercover in an anti gang task forces I will hold these civil-workers in the same light as our police officers.

Was at a hazard assessment seminar recently that was taught by a City of Calgary employee. After thorough hazard assessments of every municipal position it was determined that "the" most hazardous position in the city was that of garbage man. I know how I risk being labeled a troll for pointing out your ignorance once again but inquiring minds like to know this type of stuff.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Union garbage from an organization that protects the lazy and stupid.

A cops family is no more important than a garbage mans family.

12,000? Give me a frickin break.:roll:

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Quite an extravaganza.

I felt sorry, more-so, for the poor buggers who work in the area, that was shut down for this event.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Was at a hazard assessment seminar recently that was taught by a City of Calgary employee. After thorough hazard assessments of every municipal position it was determined that "the" most hazardous position in the city was that of garbage man. I know how I risk being labeled a troll for pointing out your ignorance once again but inquiring minds like to know this type of stuff.

That would be in regard to back, shoulder and other strains from heavy, physically demanding work - From not lifting correctly or overweight garbage can/bags. Did they mention that??

If I am in error then what are the major hazards??

Quite an extravaganza.

I felt sorry, more-so, for the poor buggers who work in the area, that was shut down for this event.

You are incapable of compassion. I do hope to meet smeday over a coffee, my treat.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Oh, I felt for the family and close friends of the fallen officer as well, when it occured last week.

Why it was blown totally out of proportion is beyond me. It seemed to me to be more of a media event than a funeral.

(and no...I won`t be contributing to the bank account set up for his child`s future educational needs) *roll eyes*

That would be in regard to back, shoulder and other strains from heavy, physically demanding work - From not lifting correctly or overweight garbage can/bags. Did they mention that??

If I am in error then what are the major hazards??

You are incapable of compassion. I do hope to meet smeday over a coffee, my treat.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A cops family is no more important than a garbage mans family.

12,000? Give me a frickin break.:roll:

and if 12,000 "sanitary engineers" from across North America want to attend the funeral of a fellow "garbage man" would you begrudge them that?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I respect the men and women out there that put their lives in the path of danger so im safer at night. I work a dangerous job, and i garuntee its more dangerous than what half of you guys do for work. But if i see something i dont want to do, i dont have to do it. If a cop sees someone he doesnt want to do, he has no choice but to do it. Thats why i suppourt this big funeral for one of our fallen.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Oh, I felt for the family and close friends of the fallen officer as well, when it occured last week.

Why it was blown totally out of proportion is beyond me. It seemed to me to be more of a media event than a funeral.

(and no...I won`t be contributing to the bank account set up for his child`s future educational needs) *roll eyes*

It was no more blown out of proportion, your view than the many funerals for fallen Officers, killed in the line of duty that is an all to often occurrence in our so called civilized society.

and if 12,000 "sanitary engineers" from across North America want to attend the funeral of a fellow "garbage man" would you begrudge them that?

Love that term, Sanitary Engineers, right up there with Car Groomer. Amazing how we change language and assign terms to what many, not i would state are at the lower end of the social employment structure in the West. They do not know how well a garbageman is paid.
I do not care how many attended, why would I. Why would I get upset about that. I certainly would not make dumb ass comments about it. Why such a question?