B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
RCMP attempt damage control in wake of B.C. video

]Last Updated: Saturday, January 15, 2011 | 6:32 PM PT
The Canadian Press

Mounties in Kelowna, B.C., are attempting damage control after an officer was videotaped kicking a co-operative suspect in the face.

Supt. Bill McKinnon called a news conference Saturday in advance of a Sunday rally planned to protest the officer's actions and support Buddy Tavares, the man arrested on Jan. 7.

"I want to ensure the public that senior members of the RCMP hear loud and clear what the general public's views are in relation to the video that has been shown across the country and is readily accessible on the internet," McKinnon said, reading from a prepared statement.

The video, shot by a bystander across the street, shows Tavares getting out of his truck with his hands in the air. Two officers have their guns drawn and one kicks the man in the face as he is getting on the ground.

Tavares, 51, is charged with careless use of a firearm. He was stopped after shots were fired at a Kelowna-area golf course.

Tavares is on leave from his job at the golf course while recovering from a brain injury suffered in a recent motorcycle crash.

Tavares said he was asked by his employer to use a shotgun to scare geese off the greens.

When Tavares was released from custody, he had a black eye and several scrapes on his face.

Mountie defends suspension with pay

Investigators from the independent Abbotsford police service arrived earlier in the week to look into the incident.

McKinnon said the investigators have about 40 witnesses to interview in the case. Three more investigators were also brought in to expedite the probe.

"We realize the processes are not moving as quickly as most people would like, but everyone must understand that the processes must be followed and the processes are legislated in the RCMP Act," McKinnon said.

The officer involved, Const. Geoff Mantler, has been suspended with pay pending the investigation.

McKinnon defended that decision too, saying suspensions with and without pay are not sanctions.

"They are preventive measures designed to protect the RCMP's integrity and its processes pending outcome of the matter which gives rise to these measures."

He said a stop in pay would only be made in extreme circumstances.

But residents have been demanding action against the officer, and McKinnon said he has read some angry comments on various internet blogs about planned civil disobedience during a protest rally to be held Sunday in Kelowna.

"I urge everyone to remain calm, make their point, and allow the legal processes that are in place to come to completion," he said.

Read more: CBC News - British Columbia - RCMP attempt damage control in wake of B.C. video

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
It's Monday Morning Quarterbacking attacking the character and actions of the police officer in question without knowing all the facts. What was racing through his mind in the heat of the moment, of course now thanks to the bias Media and social networks (FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube) he's been tried and convicted in the court of public opinion because it's what professional arm chair quarterbacks do, good job!

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
If the roles were reversed. I bet you'd be one of the first screaming for blood. Where do you stand on the snowplow vs cop thing?
No I wouldn't be screaming for blood and I've been in a position where the Police thought I was a suspect because my car matched a description, after I had no ill feelings. As for the snow plow a Police Officer was killed in the line of duty so where I stand is the suspect will probably go to trial and if he's convicted he should face a life sentence.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
No I wouldn't be screaming for blood and I've been in a position where the Police thought I was a suspect because my car matched a description, after I had no ill feelings.

Did they kick you in the face?? You might have had some hard feelings then, if it were only for a few seconds during impact.. lol

As for the snow plow a Police Officer was killed in the line of duty so where I stand is the suspect will probably go to trial and if he's convicted he should face a life sentence.

Dam Liberals and their life sentence.. death penalty.

...and before someone comes up and says it's to expensive.. b.s. a strong rope and a few planks, hanging as we did in the past.

image from CBC - Canada's hanging

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Did they kick you in the face?? You might have had some hard feelings then, if it were only for a few seconds during impact.. lol

Dam Liberals and their life sentence.. death penalty.

...and before someone comes up and says it's to expensive.. b.s. I rope and a few planks, hanging as we did in the past.
No they didn't kick me in the face but all I am saying is it's better to wait before all the facts are in rather than rushing to judgment because the thing about Video is it shows only one side of the story..

It should be a death sentence if anyone takes the life of a police officer, of course that will never happen in our life time, because no Prime Minister Conservative or Liberal will ever the guts to take that stand.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It's Monday Morning Quarterbacking attacking the character and actions of the police officer in question without knowing all the facts. What was racing through his mind in the heat of the moment, of course now thanks to the bias Media and social networks (FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube) he's been tried and convicted in the court of public opinion because it's what professional arm chair quarterbacks do, good job!

Ahhh...its on film.......the guy was on his hands and knees, no threat to anyone.......and, it turns out, there is VERY good reason to believe the charges against him are simply trumped-up as the RCMP play CYA..........

I suggest you watch the film and read the articles on the guy that got kicked.....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
B00Mer[COLOR=#000000 said:
Mountie defends suspension with pay[/COLOR]
The officer involved, Const. Geoff Mantler, has been suspended with pay pending the investigation.
McKinnon defended that decision too, saying suspensions with and without pay are not sanctions.
"They are preventive measures designed to protect the RCMP's integrity and its processes pending outcome of the matter which gives rise to these measures."

He said a stop in pay would only be made in extreme circumstances.

But residents have been demanding action against the officer, and McKinnon said he has read some angry comments on various internet blogs about planned civil disobedience during a protest rally to be held Sunday in Kelowna.

Can anyone explain to me why the taxpayer should have to pay wages when no work is being done after committing a criminal act?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I have been watching this story develop ever since it was first broadcast. I like to wait for some
facts, and a few more even before I like to speculate. The first version was a man with a gun.
Then it was a man with a gun who used it as part of his job to scare geese at a golf course. Some
say why in winter? The fact is if there is no snow even in winter we golf in this area. Second the
golf course asked him to even though he was unemployed. Then it comes out that he was in a
motorcycle accident, and maybe he was a bit off from a head injury. The fact is he is recovering
well, at least until someone in authority kicked him in the face. Next there is a report there is a
domestic dispute going on, the only problem is there is no one claiming such a situation except
the police, after all he has an ex-wife. That goes out the window because she says there is no
problem.
Then the video comes out, a professional video demonstrating a man who is out of his truck and in
fact complying with the police and has his hands up. He is getting on the ground which takes a bit
of time because of previous injuries once mentioned. It is an ongoing saga here in Kelowna.
Then the RCMP Commander in charge of everything comes on television to ask for calm and to
allow the process to take its course and in view of the fact there is a demonstration today he asks
that things not get out of hand. This of course is a hint to stay away and minimize the number of
people that will attend. Let the process take its course? Police are on paid leave, when if it were
you and I we would be suspended without pay. The rules for police are also different they get the
disciplinary punishment instead of being charged, fired and sent to prison like the rest of us.
By now you guessed it, the guy did nothing to deserve this kind of action at the hands of the single
police officer in question. As far as I could see on that tape and the subsequent arrest the other
officers behaved in a professional manner.
What we need and I hate to say it, is civilian oversight, because there are too many bad apples or
incompetent officers that do not follow the law and go way beyond the pale. As I say I followed this
thing all week and right up until Friday/Saturday when the police started making public statements
asking for calm, in view of a demonstration for action. It indicates to me the old let the process
handle it won't do because locals are mad as hell and want something done immediately like charges
and let the courts decide. I think this is going to be a mess if this guy is not fired and charged.
People here have had enough, as a matter of fact people in BC have had enough and want the police
to be held accountable for their actions. I see people claiming we don't know all the facts. Well there
are two stories here. People want this guys head and if they don't get it there will be a public outcry.
I do myself believe he is as guilty as hell of assault but in the eyes of the public they want action and
if by some miracle he gets off, or found not guilty there is going to be hell to pay in the public arena.
The problem is for the police the victim has a broad base of community support, he is not a nut case
with a gun or strange or violent nor does he appear to have any form of substance abuse problems.
What does this amount to? An over zealous officer that kicked someone in the face for no reason.
Usually people arrest violent people who commit such an act, but apparently when he is an RCMP
officer they suspend him With Pay and go silent hoping the problem will go away.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Can anyone explain to me why the taxpayer should have to pay wages when no work is being done after committing a criminal act?

Because he hasn't commited a criminal act. He is "alleged" to have commited a criminal act. We've been thorough this more times than I care to count. I know it bothers you that the guy gets to defend himself but such is the drawbacks of living in a semi-free society.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The taxpayers are making the police look weak with all the
paper work they have to fill out just for drawing their guns.

Criminals are moving into the cities because they know
government bureaucracies tie the police hands.

Hardened criminals are moving away from their country
because the government and the police are just too mean to them but here in
Canada the police are polite and the laws just do not go far enough to make a
dent in their criminal enterprises.

We have to let the police do their jobs the more we
interfere with their operations the safety of the city will suffer to the point
that we will move out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Because he hasn't commited a criminal act. He is "alleged" to have commited a criminal act. We've been thorough this more times than I care to count. I know it bothers you that the guy gets to defend himself but such is the drawbacks of living in a semi-free society.

YOu can go through this as often as you want, it doesn't change anything. I'll bet my pension cheque against your pay cheque that he HAS committed a criminal act. Watch the video. Regardless, a person doesn't have to commit a criminal act to have his job and pay terminated. I know guys it happened to for a simple thing like being lazy. Are you thick? :lol:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I'll bet my pension cheque against your pay cheque that he HAS committed a criminal act. Watch the video.

Irellevant. He hasn't been convicted.

Regardless, a person doesn't have to commit a criminal act to have his job and pay terminated. I know guys it happened to for a simple thing like being lazy. Are you thick? :lol:

In Canada you have to prove just cause or pay in the neighbourhood of one month per year of severance pay (as a minimum). In order to fire somebody for being lazy, you have to document the lazy behavior. Did the department document poor performance from this officer?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Irellevant. He hasn't been convicted.

In Canada you have to prove just cause or pay in the neighbourhood of one month per year of severance pay (as a minimum). In order to fire somebody for being lazy, you have to document the lazy behavior. Did the department document poor performance from this officer?

All you have to do is say there is no more work.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
All you have to do is say there is no more work.

That's not firing, that's a lay off. You might be the only person that they could fool with that one. I seriously can't think of any place that has no work for police officers.