none so blind......................

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Quebec is a tiny island in a sea of English in North America. Now why would a student who
wants to have choice want to choose something foreign to him, especially when the teachers
have already explained French is the road to happiness? There are people here who want to
learn French and I have no problem with that. The difference is, in BC and else where the
choice is that of the student or at least the parent and student. In Quebec it is an artificial
belief system that French is superior and why would a young person want to chose something
else for their future? Are these people completely nuts or what, that they would commission
a survey to determine how to respond to a threat? And what is the threat? Quite simply if the
youth decide English is for them. their current little biased and bigoted empire would collapse
around their ears. A cultural and ethnic empire based on the survival of superiority is a thing of
the past and the billions spent on securing that culture could see itself fade away with the
English words I want to speak English. Oh my God tell me it isn't so batman.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
The students are smart enough to realize that they can get better jobs if they are bilingual.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Hmm, so Quebec teenagers are following the rest of the world and adopting English as their second language? Quelle surprise!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

In Quebec, if you don't pass you're English test, you don't get your high school diploma. Do you think that serves as an incentive?

I think Quebec could learn a lot from Western provinces like BC (where schools can choose between 7 second-languages) and Alberta (where they can choose from an even wider list).

Hmm, so Quebec teenagers are following the rest of the world and adopting English as their second language? Quelle surprise!

Well, at least as their second-language taught at school at any rate. Whether they can speak it outside the classroom remains limited to a small percentage, though granted Quebec has a much higher success rate than other countries.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Growing up I heard far more German, Polish and Ukrainian on the Prairies and interior B.C. than French and that's despite French being printed on everything.

P.S., the language program in British Columbia is nothing to talk about. Mandated French in primary means most of the students (80%?) remain in Quebecois-French and consequentially will never learn any other languages.

Growing up, I had a choice between (you'll love this)

1. Japanese (second fiddle to Chinese now)
2. Chilean dialect Spanish (which I learned and have been employed in Latin American companies)
3. Mandarin (Great for a civil service in China's government but its not the economic language in China)
4. Quebecois-French, which the French in Europe hate, not economically useful and most of the speakers are just located within Quebec. Sure there's 500 million speakers of the entire French language but most of them are Africans who speak a barely intelligble form of French... It's a lot like the English you'll hear being spoken as a first language in Africa or certain areas of the states...

Whereas, if you go to Germany, Germans learn everything from English to just about every language on the continent.

I don't see how restricting our students to 3-4 languages is good for our economy.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's probably to be able to watch and understand english TV and english music. If you can name bigger influences on youth, please post them.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
So the billions we spend on promoting French language in Canada are not having the desired affects? Oh dear...

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Growing up I heard far more German, Polish and Ukrainian on the Prairies and interior B.C. than French and that's despite French being printed on everything.

P.S., the language program in British Columbia is nothing to talk about. Mandated French in primary means most of the students (80%?) remain in Quebecois-French and consequentially will never learn any other languages.

Growing up, I had a choice between (you'll love this)

1. Japanese (second fiddle to Chinese now)
2. Chilean dialect Spanish (which I learned and have been employed in Latin American companies)
3. Mandarin (Great for a civil service in China's government but its not the economic language in China)
4. Quebecois-French, which the French in Europe hate, not economically useful and most of the speakers are just located within Quebec. Sure there's 500 million speakers of the entire French language but most of them are Africans who speak a barely intelligble form of French... It's a lot like the English you'll hear being spoken as a first language in Africa or certain areas of the states...

Whereas, if you go to Germany, Germans learn everything from English to just about every language on the continent.

I don't see how restricting our students to 3-4 languages is good for our economy.

What school district(s) were teaching Quebecois French and when was this?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
What school district(s) were teaching Quebecois French and when was this?

I suspect that what was being referred to is that when French was mandated as a second language in high school many of those teaching it hailed from Quebec. In that case students were learning Quebecois French whether they wanted to or not.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The French we learned in high school was Parisien,(the teacher told us), and therefore quite useless when speaking with most people from Quebec. I wasn't aware they are now teaching Quebecquois French in schools. Even more useless in the larger world, but then, why would a Pequiste ever contemplate anything beyond their provincial borders?

The Franco-arrogance is unbelievable.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You never know when a second language is handy.
Once, in Nasville, at a restaurant near the hotel where we were staying my wife and I were checking out the menu and speaking to each other in french.
When the waitress who was serving anearby table came to take our order, she said that the chef also the owner talked funny just like us:smile:
He came out to talk to us and it turned out he was Cajun. and the hefty serving of cajun chili I had could make your eyeballs sweat even though it wasn't that hot to the taste....the best I ever had.
And he wouldn't hear of us paying for the meal, so I only had to tip the waitress.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
When I went to highschool in B.C. a second language was mandatory for University entrance. Unfortunately French was the only one offered. Oddly enough the kids that had the most problem with french were the ones that came from Quebec. It was just too different than what they spoke at home.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
When I went to highschool in B.C. a second language was mandatory for University entrance. Unfortunately French was the only one offered. Oddly enough the kids that had the most problem with french were the ones that came from Quebec. It was just too different than what they spoke at home.

That's because the french you learn in school is not quite like what you speak at home.

Just like the english commonly spoken in the suburbs of London,england is not the same as other cities in england.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well English is no great shakes of a language but come on! "The ball red", wtf is that? Masculine and feminine give me a break! That a teachers union has to commission a study to find out how to be more popular is telling in and of itself.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well English is no great shakes of a language but come on! "The ball red", wtf is that? Masculine and feminine give me a break! That a teachers union has to commission a study to find out how to be more popular is telling in and of itself.

It would be polite to give us a clue as to where you are quoting from. :smile: