Arizona rushes through law preventing picketing at funerals

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Radio host persuades U.S. church to drop funeral protest - CTV News

part of the above story addresses a Toronto radio station convincing the Westboro baptists not to picket the funeral of the 9 year old shot in Arizona, but even more interesting is that Arizona rushed through laws prohibiting picketing within 100m of a funeral. Nice to see such change come about.

((this thread is about two topics, and two topics only, the radio station and the change in law regarding picketing....discussing the shooter, or Palin is for another already existing thread, and will be deleted, not moved))

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think because of the Westboro Baptist Church this law had been in consideration for a while. Do you see anything wrong with a law preventing picketing within 100m of funeral services? I fail to see where that would be a problem to most people.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
What happens when they say God Hates Fags on the radio?

Or do you think she will keep that to herself?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What happens when they say God Hates Fags on the radio?

Or do you think she will keep that to herself?

The United States still enjoys freedom of speech, so nothing will happen when she says "fags" on the radio...........nor will Money for Nothing be banned.

OMG these people are weird.

As for me, I'm not much for limiting free speech........but if you can ban protests around abortion clinics, I guess establishing a 100 yard exclusion zone around a funeral is perfectly OK.

Damn these people piss me off.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The United States still enjoys freedom of speech, so nothing will happen when she says "fags" on the radio...........nor will Money for Nothing be banned.

The radio station is in Toronto though, so it's still broadcast originating in Canada.

OMG these people are weird.

As for me, I'm not much for limiting free speech........but if you can ban protests around abortion clinics, I guess establishing a 100 yard exclusion zone around a funeral is perfectly OK.

Damn these people piss me off.

Someone is building a wall and we're handing them the bricks and mortar. She brought none of her hate speech to the interview so it amounted to nothing. Well other than some mild entertainment as they mocked her mildly. I never heard fags or faggots mentioned once.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Let's send the Human Rights Commission after them, they only go after 3-4 people a year, in return for a half million salary each.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Radio host persuades U.S. church to drop funeral protest - CTV News

part of the above story addresses a Toronto radio station convincing the Westboro baptists not to picket the funeral of the 9 year old shot in Arizona, but even more interesting is that Arizona rushed through laws prohibiting picketing within 100m of a funeral. Nice to see such change come about.

((this thread is about two topics, and two topics only, the radio station and the change in law regarding picketing....discussing the shooter, or Palin is for another already existing thread, and will be deleted, not moved))

That's the Dean Blundel show, I listen to it almost everyday.

Heard this chick, man is she whacked.

Someone is building a wall and we're handing them the bricks and mortar. She brought none of her hate speech to the interview so it amounted to nothing. Well other than some mild entertainment as they mocked her mildly. I never heard fags or faggots mentioned once.

She was using the word fag in a previous show they told her to cut it out or she would be cut off.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What in the hell has happened to society that we would be required as a civilization to enact a law
that says you cannot picket people at a funeral. Are we really that morally inept? The remarks
about a law written in haste is usually a bad law has some merritt here though. These are laws
that do not account for the reality around us. Having said that, even if there was a strike going on
near a funeral, would people not take the somber occasion into account?
As for calling people fags and other insults, I always gauge people by the use of their tongue and in
view of what I hear I determine whether I would like to know such a person or do business with them.
Sure people should have the right to say it agreed. But with actions and that free speech they are
granted it comes with responsibility and consequences. I do not understand, how people can
actually go a picket a funeral and that people have to see a law enacted to quell such a disgusting
action.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The fruitcakes plan on picketing all the victims funerals. Glad Arizona created a law to prevent them, throw them all into jail for a few days if they follow thru with their threats. There is a time and place for everything, protesting at a funeral is not on the list.