Ethical Tar Sands, Give Me A Break

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
What spin from the Tories in Ottawa. Alberta now has ethical tar sands. Let's compare ourselves with Saudi Arabia and Egypt. Answer: we win. What people want to hear is about how the govt is reducing pollution and damage to the environment.

And now, 'ethical oil'
And now, 'ethical oil'

Edmonton Journal January 11, 2011

Ottawa's new "ethical oil" spin on Alberta's oilsands is tactically brilliant. Recognizing that a lot of our public-relations problem has been name-calling -- they're the "oilsands," critics always say with a sneer -- the Harper government has decided to try a new label itself.
To some, this may seem silly. No mere name can alter results of environmental monitoring, or industry's contribution to climate change.

But the truth is, the campaign by environmental groups against the oilsands has deliberately ignored some of the positives of Canadian oil that consumers might want to take into account before deciding which source fuel might most deserve a boycott. Is fuel from Canada really worse than that from Venezuela or some Mideast states, when geopolitical and well as environmental implications are taken into account?

Of course, a marketing campaign is no substitute for responsible stewardship. But if "ethical oil" induces more consumers to see the full picture when considering our fuels, all Canadians should be pleased.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Good wages, stringent environmental laws, fair market price. How much more ethical do you want? Or would you rather buy your oil from some third world dictator with slave labour, no environmental laws?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Good wages, stringent environmental laws, fair market price. How much more ethical do you want? Or would you rather buy your oil from some third world dictator with slave labour, no environmental laws?

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
"stringent environmental laws'?? You believe that ?? I have some beautiful waterfront property for you,yuo can even see the bridge,on a clear day.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Okay....who in the world has large oil reserves?

Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Algeria, Venezuela.......Canada.

Which of these has ANY environmental law to speak of?

Canada

Which of these is most concerned with human rights?

Canada

Which has fair labour laws, and pays oil workers very very well?

Canada

Case closed, Canada has ethical oil.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Yes, choose Canada's ethical oil to polute and destroy the enviroment.

It's like jumbo shrimp.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Might as well call it a "light" cigarette while they're at it.

Spin spin spin...some folks sure are easy pickens.

Classic red herring.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yes,and horse **** is less stinky than pig ****,but it's still ****.

When compared to oil from the Sudan, or Saudi Arabia, or Iran.......our shyte comes up smelling like roses........and that is the point

Might as well call it a "light" cigarette while they're at it.

Spin spin spin...some folks sure are easy pickens.

Classic red herring.

Baloney.

Not a red herring at all....unless you have an IMMEDIATE cheap alternative to oil..........and you don't.

Oil is NOT going to disappear soon, and ours is the most ethical.

I know you don't llike it, but those are the facts, and getting in a snit won't change them.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Baloney.

Not a red herring at all....unless you have an IMMEDIATE cheap alternative to oil..........and you don't.

Another red herring. I'm gonna start calling you Red if you keep it up, and not for your clown and circus art :lol:

Oil is NOT going to disappear soon
It could disappear faster. Calling ours ethical and attempting to sell more of it is ignoring other realities, that you and Ezra don't like.

I'll pay attention to folks like you and Ezra when you don't cherry pick your ethical purchasing habits, when you don't use any products made with Chinese commodities, or made by Chinese labour.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
When compared to oil from the Sudan, or Saudi Arabia, or Iran.......our shyte comes up smelling like roses........and that is the point

Baloney.

Oil is NOT going to disappear soon, and ours is the most ethical.

I know you don't llike it, but those are the facts, and getting in a snit won't change them.

So someone is in a snit because they dissagree with you.

Seems you are the one in a snit over this.

Sorry if we don't like the gift wrapped spin about how great our oil is just because a con from Alberta says so.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
So someone is in a snit because they dissagree with you.

Seems you are the one in a snit over this.

Sorry if we don't like the gift wrapped spin about how great our oil is just because a con from Alberta says so.

I am not in a snit at all.....I am just pointing out that the opposing side of the debate has NO point at all........and has not even tried to make one.

This isn't even a discussion.....the facts are so clear.......so why would I be in a snit?

perhaps you have a different view?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I am not in a snit at all.....I am just pointing out that the opposing side of the debate has NO point at all........and has not even tried to make one.

I just did. If you have a model for choosing the best ethical product, then it should apply to all products I would think. So, how much of the crap you own was made in China? Your computer? Did you bother to check?

What about other products? How far does this consumer model's utility stretch?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

This isn't even a discussion.....the facts are so clear.......so why would I be in a snit?

perhaps you have a different view?

You said Tonnington was in a snit....why?

What facts are clear?

That our oil is less unethincal, I agree.

Tell me, how is producing and selling a known pollutant that causes envirmental damage and death ethical?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I just did. If you have a model for choosing the best ethical product, then it should apply to all products I would think. So, how much of the crap you own was made in China? Your computer? Did you bother to check?

What about other products? How far does this consumer model's utility stretch?

You are probably talking to the only guy on here that has carried on a 25 year boycott of China. :) A fact which drove my wife and kids nuts..........badly enough I had to let up on them.

Mind you, I have weakened of late.........it gets more and more difficult.

You said Tonnington was in a snit....why?

What facts are clear?

That our oil is less unethincal, I agree.

Tell me, how is producing and selling a known pollutant that causes envirmental damage and death ethical?

Good Lord! Death?

How do you mean?

I guess you must be burning wood, are ya? Or maybe natural gas?