Time For Don Cherry To Give Up The Pro-War Talk

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Don Cherry is going over the top in "supporting the troops". Unless he stops I am in favour of kicking him off Coach's Corner. People who say they only want to support the troops, indirectly tell others to shut up because "How can you be against our Canadian boys?" And on and on they foam at the mouth. This stilfes debate on a serious topic. This is over the line and Don needs to be reined in if he doesn't stop. Which means kicked off the CBC.

Coach's Corner is not about politics. Don is fine sticking to hockey.

Okay, Vancouver, wear red for Cherry | Joe Warmington | Columnists | News | Toronto Sun

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

News Columnists / Joe Warmington
Okay, Vancouver, wear red for Cherry

By JOE WARMINGTON, Toronto Sun
Last Updated: January 7, 2011 8:46pm

A group calling itself Hockey Fans for Peace will be at the Rogers’ Arena in Vancouver protesting Don Cherry’s Coach’s Corner support for our Canadian troops Saturday.

“He’s invoking the soldiers as a way of promoting the war,” Derrick O’Keefe of Stopwar.ca has been quoted as saying, adding Cherry is “100% pro-war.”

Kimball Cariou said the CBC should either “stop the promotion of militarism during hockey broadcasts, or else allow one of its members to debate Cherry” on Coach’s Corner.

Right! Cherry showing the pictures of our fallen soldiers is far more noble than trying to cheaply grab some national attention off our war dead.

One way Vancouver fans can show support for the troops, and tell all left-wing kooks to stick it in their pipe, is wear red at tonight’s game. Very few Canadians are on the Taliban’s side. Exale at my pal Augusto (Bong) Capitin’s place instead.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I definitely support him showing a picture of a fallen soldier, and saying words about him,
as it is a very supportive and compassionate, coast to coast gesture of concern, and I find
it very appropriate.

beyond that, I do not support his going to afghanistan and televising it, or any other
war story he might come up with.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I definitely support him showing a picture of a fallen soldier, and saying words about him,
as it is a very supportive and compassionate, coast to coast gesture of concern, and I find
it very appropriate.

beyond that, I do not support his going to afghanistan and televising it, or any other
war story he might come up with.

I'm not really keen on Don showing amything about war but there is something decent about reminding viewers that there are Canadians dying beyond our shores. And I think they are dying for nothing there. But Don shows police officers who died on the job too. What about construction workers who died on the job? Aren't they important too? To me, all that belongs on his own website.

It raises so many issues. Like, construction workers don't get govt pensions when they die. They are not likely part of the British tradition of Canada which is militaristic and political.

Stick to coach stuff, not military or political issues.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Don Cherry is going over the top in "supporting the troops".
I don't think so.

Unless he stops I am in favour of kicking him off Coach's Corner.
Wow, "shut up or get tossed", way to promote free speech.
People who say they only want to support the troops, indirectly tell others to shut up because "How can you be against our Canadian boys?"
"Indirectly"? Can you expand on that?

And on and on they foam at the mouth.
They do? I'm one of them. I don't foam at the mouth, I support their right to free speech. So much so, I swore to protect it with my life.

This stilfes debate on a serious topic.
No, people with an agenda do.

This is over the line and Don needs to be reined in if he doesn't stop. Which means kicked off the CBC.
Good call. Stifle people you don't agree with.

Coach's Corner is not about politics. Don is fine sticking to hockey.
Supporting troops is not political. They're people.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Supporting the troops and supporting the war are two different things. It is possible to disagree with the political agendas that send our troops into combat but I believe if our country makes the decision to send them then of course we should follow through with our support. I think the real problem here is not Cherry's support of the troops it's just that he's a loud mouth buffoon about it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Supporting the troops and supporting the war are two different things. It is possible to disagree with the political agendas that send our troops into combat but I believe if our country makes the decision to send them then of course we should follow through with our support. I think the real problem here is not Cherry's support of the troops it's just that he's a loud mouth buffoon about it.
Do you have an example of that?

From what I've seen, he's pretty subdued, polite and concise about it. But then again, I'm gaging him by my standards, lol.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Cherry has a gig, he's just a media personality. I avoid watching him, because I don't like him. You could do the same.

Yah, but, yanno he's out there, mouthing off non stop. Like Sarah Palin with testicles (perhaps). Maybe a bit smarter. Certainly has parlayed questionable talent into a bunch of cash. Guess that makes him a success.

Now I'm probably in for a bunch of cut and paste..........as in..........prove it...........blah blah blah blah............got any references.......blah blah blah blah...........any links.........blah blah blah blah.

Watching a hockey game used to be sort of fun, although I'm not really a fan. Wonder if he's driven anyone else away from the tube?
Would calling him a ****ing dork be too strong?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yah, but, yanno he's out there, mouthing off non stop. Like Sarah Palin with testicles (perhaps). Maybe a bit smarter. Certainly has parlayed questionable talent into a bunch of cash. Guess that makes him a success.
But of course...

Now I'm probably in for a bunch of cut and paste..........as in..........prove it...........blah blah blah blah............got any references.......blah blah blah blah...........any links.........blah blah blah blah.
EAO rarely comes in these threads, so you likely won't have to.

Watching a hockey game used to be sort of fun, although I'm not really a fan.
I've never really enjoyed watching hockey on the tube. To many nights at the Collesium watching the Habs crush the leafs live ruined that for me.

Wonder if he's driven anyone else away from the tube?
Not likely as many viewers as lack luster play and more hacky than hockey.

Would calling him a ****ing dork be too strong?
Nope. Free speech is cool like that.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
:lol:..........LOL..............sandbagger.
You didn't think I was going to take the bait did you?

And my request to eh1 was actually serious. But purely for curiousities sake. I thought maybe I missed a Cherry meltdown or something, with the strength of eh1's words and all.

I mean I know Cheery is pompous, bombastic and bellicose, but he's foisted hockey (Our national pastime) up on a pedestal, he loves me and my brothers, say what you can about the man, but he draws attention to many things. Not all of them are negative. You either love or hate him. I love him, I think he's a hoot, even when I disagree with him, and I do.

Besides that, his charity, Rose Cherry House, and Wounded Warriors, are the only two charities I give to.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Do you have an example of that?

From what I've seen, he's pretty subdued, polite and concise about it. But then again, I'm gaging him by my standards, lol.

Well his gig is to be like that. He's not known for tact or PC language. His unprofessional attitude tends to rub me the wrong way. Of course I said, 'I think', so I can only claim this IMHO.

Cherry has a gig, he's just a media personality. I avoid watching him, because I don't like him. You could do the same.

I usually do.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well his gig is to be like that. He's not known for tact or PC language. His unprofessional attitude tends to rub me the wrong way. Of course I said, 'I think', so I can only claim this IMHO.
I hear ya, I just thought you had a specific vid in mind.

I know Cherry can go off on some fun tangents.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I hear ya, I just thought you had a specific vid in mind.

I know Cherry can go off on some fun tangents.

His rant for Mayor Ford was his last 'unprofessional buffoonery', although I tend to feel the same as him on most of his points, it just seemed that the coaches corner gig was out of place.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
His rant for Mayor Ford was his last 'unprofessional buffoonery', although I tend to feel the same as him on most of his points, it just seemed that the coaches corner gig was out of place.
I'd actually have to agree a little. But the CBC gave him a venue, and they haven't leashed him yet. So somebody's watching, and thus paying the advertising bills.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

That's what I do, he is a biased wind bag and a bigot. I watch the game on RDS in french.

However, paying a little tribute to a fallen soldier is not a bad thing, nor is it political.

Just like someone said, we need a reminder of what Canadians are doing over seas whether we agree with the war or not.

For the record I do not support the war but I sure do support the troops.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
However, paying a little tribute to a fallen soldier is not a bad thing, nor is it political.
I'll have to check the archives, but I'm pretty sure you argued that it was political, quite aggressively I might add, when I made that very claim a while back.

Don Cherry supporting the drug dealer gov't in Afghanistan-what beautiful symmetry is hypocrisy.
Wow, you still bleating the same tune?