Too many cops on leave WITH pay?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When cops are being investigated for criminal activity eg. assault, impaired driving and corrupt activities, I think the onus should be on them to justify being paid. This would apply especially to cases where their activities have been caught on camera. Presently a thug (cop) in Kelowna is being paid after kicking a disabled man (who was complying with orders) in the face. The victim went to jail for the weekend, while the thug is being paid.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
When cops are being investigated for criminal activity eg. assault, impaired driving and corrupt activities, I think the onus should be on them to justify being paid. This would apply especially to cases where their activities have been caught on camera. Presently a thug (cop) in Kelowna is being paid after kicking a disabled man (who was complying with orders) in the face. The victim went to jail for the weekend, while the thug is being paid.

Innocence until proven guilty.

It's when he's proven guilty that the hammer should fall and in the case of abuse of authority, it should fall the hardest.

rooibos

Time Out
Jan 5, 2011
Innocence until proven guilty.

It's when he's proven guilty that the hammer should fall and in the case of abuse of authority, it should fall the hardest.

Exactly. Unfortunately he needs to be convicted in a court of law, not the law of youtube.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Otherwise, all you'd have to do to ruin someone's life is accuse them of somehting, then they'd be off on leave with no pay, whether there was substance to the accusation or not.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Otherwise, all you'd have to do to ruin someone's life is accuse them of somehting, then they'd be off on leave with no pay, whether there was substance to the accusation or not.

According to JLM.

Good example is the Rodney King case...all were declared innocent even though what was seen on the video seemed conclusive guilt of battery.

I wasn't there so how could I conclude anything about what happened?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Exactly. Unfortunately he needs to be convicted in a court of law, not the law of youtube.

I'm not talking about convicting I'm talking about being paid. If the work is to be suspended it only follows the pay should be suspended. If the final outcome shows him to be innocent then he should be paid for the time missed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

This is where COMMON SENSE (look it up) comes into play, he's on camera, the guys face is beaten to a pulp.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I'm not talking about convicting I'm talking about being paid. If the work is to be suspended it only follows the pay should be suspended. If the final outcome shows him to be innocent then he should be paid for the time missed.

Investigations can take months, cops are people to, they have bills to pay and families to feed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Investigations can take months, cops are people to, they have bills to pay and families to feed.

Tough, maybe they should think about that before kicking the sh*t out of people or tasering them to death.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

It doesn't work like that. Court can take years. No one can sit around without being paid for years. They lose the house, the car, probably the family and probably the court case as well because it cost money to put on a defence. In the end if he is for some reason found innocent, how do you replace his family, his house and all the stuff that used to make up a life?

Moving him to a desk or sending him home with pay means that no undue punishment is meted out to him before there is a judgement.

As for video, anything can be made to look like anything and only an expert can really have a chance of telling you what is doctored and what is not.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Tough, maybe they should think about that before kicking the sh*t out of people or tasering them to death.

Now you are assuming what happened in any event beofre prosecution.

Glad I don't live in your world cop hater.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"You want to punish someone before they are proven to be guilty."

You don't read too good, I said witnesses, pictures and face caved in. What would it take to verify all this? Half an hour?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
"You want to punish someone before they are proven to be guilty."

You don't read too good, I said witnesses, pictures and face caved in. What would it take to verify all this? Half an hour?

All have a role in court procedure. You couldn't manage to get a court in session in a half an hour on your best day.
What you propose is stupid. You should stop typing and see if that big ol brain of yours is going to get up to day or not. Just sayin. :p

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
All have a role in court procedure. You couldn't manage to get a court in session in a half an hour on your best day.
What you propose is stupid. You should stop typing and see if that big ol brain of yours is going to get up to day or not. Just sayin. :p

At least I HAVE a brain!

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
JLM,
So if I understand you correctly, you believe we shouldn't waste time on a trial before punishing someone, when we all know they are guilty.

Why not replace the entire criminal justice system with citizen action groups?

The self appointed citizen action group just accuses someone of something, ie Nazi, terrorist, communist, witch... and they show up outside the criminal's house at night, kick in the doors, drag the person out into the street and just hang 'em. I can see many benefits such as community involvement, immediacy and low cost.... no need for police, lawyers, judges, courts or prisons.