Sick Society We Live In

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
`Homeless` man makes the "news".

2011`s first feel-good distraction from reality to go `viral`.

This media concocted story makes me sick. Its been all over the radio/tv due to a you-tube video. Meanwhile we go out of the way to avoid adressing the million other poor buggers that litter our city streets and as usual, remain indifferent to thier needs.

Homeless man turns 'golden voice' into golden opportunity - NYPOST.com

boats2010

Dec 29, 2010
It does seem a little fishy. I have been in media, specifically broadcasting and it’s not entirely something you’re born with. Like any other profession it takes practice and a good understanding of linguistics. You just don’t sound that good without experience and knowledge.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
He apparently was a former `morning drive DJ` so that might explain his `golden voice`. Perhaps this fact might have to do with the the media frenzy and publicity stunt?

It does seem a little fishy. I have been in media, specifically broadcasting and it’s not entirely something you’re born with. Like any other profession it takes practice and a good understanding of linguistics. You just don’t sound that good without experience and knowledge.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
yeah, it's absolutely horrific that we would point out that homeless people have potential and are just people like the rest of us. Sick. Disgusting.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Nonsense.

This is just another example of our media`s hypocrisy when faced with reporting about what we, the sick society we`ve become, are all about.

`See? We care about the plight of the homeless in our midst.`, we mumble around the water-cooler. *rolls eyes*

Where is the media with regards to reporting on our newly created `homeless`....those we so proudly sent off to `fight for our freedom`, only to come back in bits and pieces to a society and gov. run media that could give a rats-ass on thier welfare?

Don`t you find it odd that just about every dam media outlet in North America jumped on this story within the last 24 hours and havn`t shut up about it for more than an hour out of those 24? Tomorrow, we won`t see or hear a peep. It will be on to the next concocted sensastionalized tid-bit for our entertainment. And yes, we will surely bite and hang on to every sick detail for as long as our media demands of us.

yeah, it's absolutely horrific that we would point out that homeless people have potential and are just people like the rest of us. Sick. Disgusting.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Considering I see you post gleefully about the deaths and dismemberments of troops, I hardly feel you're in a position to preach about hypocrisy and oversights when demanding that they focus more on the plight of returning soldiers.

Frankly JBeee, you'd find a reason to complain no matter what they reported on or how in depth it was. You look for the absolute worst.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Returning troops/dupes are merely just another example of our media`s bending over backwards to please our gov. and the general population in NOT reporting on thier sorry asses once home.

Considering I see you post gleefully about the deaths and dismemberments of troops, I hardly feel you're in a position to preach about hypocrisy and oversights when demanding that they focus more on the plight of returning soldiers.

Frankly JBeee, you'd find a reason to complain no matter what they reported on or how in depth it was. You look for the absolute worst.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
`Homeless` man makes the "news".

2011`s first feel-good distraction from reality to go `viral`.

This media concocted story makes me sick. Its been all over the radio/tv due to a you-tube video. Meanwhile we go out of the way to avoid adressing the million other poor buggers that litter our city streets and as usual, remain indifferent to thier needs.

Homeless man turns 'golden voice' into golden opportunity - NYPOST.com

New York Post- never heard of it! Is it a rag that's even fit to deliver news? You gotta watch what you read these days. :lol:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I spent decades in radio and the trail is littered with people that were once at the top
and fell by the wayside. Yes there is all kinds of talent out there that never got
discovered, or worse fell on hard times and became homeless. I like this story it is
one where the person kept believing and using the new media decided to make a
play to return. He put out a sign stood by the road and someone said hey wonder if
this has something of entertainment or social value. He took a chance, what is it
someone said life is for those who show up. He showed up what more can you say.
Yes he had experience, yes he was once a broadcaster,, yes he dropped to the
lowest of life, and yes he rose out of the whole thing and got his life back.
Who could be cynical about that?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Goddam right, Karrie; lets have a "hang the homeless" week. EEEEEEEEEEEEEHaWWWWWWWWWW.

You get the hoods, I'll check the barn, make sure the horses are ready.

Bear or Yuke can bring the rope.

most of any of us are one or two paychecks, or the death of a partner away from being homeless.

Course, in this "compassionate conservative" (stole that from the shrub) society we live in, no one has to worry.

Freakin sick making.

fukk off. the guy said he'd been to school. and then the booze and drugs thingy. but none of us have ever done that. been dry for 2 years. hey, let's not rush to help anyone.

so really glad that you "have been in media"...............zat mean you're a has been already. don't ask me for help eh.

I hope the guy makes good, as he definitely has a terrific voice.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
nuggler careful, I too have spent many years in radio, I may be older now but hardly a
has been, I just moved on. I think the guy deserves a break he clawed his way back.
This is a story of redemption as it were. Yes he was a success, and failure and he
found a way to make it back again.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
nuggler careful, I too have spent many years in radio, I may be older now but hardly a
has been, I just moved on. I think the guy deserves a break he clawed his way back.
This is a story of redemption as it were. Yes he was a success, and failure and he
found a way to make it back again.

Jessus, Grumpy, read the post. I'm on the homeless guys side.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I was born with a Radio Voice but never went near the business after seeing what creeps the media types were in college.

Over the decades my view hasn't changed-radio being 'theatre of the mind' attracts some of the oddest most twisted types imaginable-so I can see how this guy ended up on the bottom-he was never far from it the whole time.

Now I volunteer & read the news from community newspapers for the blind which is then broadcast on the net-reading is enjoyable and I hope someone is being helped/entertained and the superficiality so prevalent in commercial radio nowhere to be heard.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
nuggler you were not supposed to take that comment seriously.

bill the radio business does attract a strange lot indeed it is another art form as you put it
theatre of the mind. First of all most of it is twisted sense of humor and nothing more but
some are indeed borderline crazy, some are genius material very creative and others are
loafers who go along for the ride until its time to find a new gig. Many know the day they
are hired it is a matter of time before they are fired.
I would not have missed it for the world, and all those strange people made for some wild
and incredible parties. My wife thought some were crazy and she was likely right.
The reason so many go down the pipe is because the lifestyle is so fast and if you don't
pace yourself you end up in trouble. I still have a lot of friends in broadcasting but I am a
sideline player now, not part of the main act at all. I do hope this guy gets it right this time
as he has a hell of a set of pipes and there is no limit to his rise. In fact I think he could be
a leader doing movies trailers. Those guys make millions there are few of them and they
are always in demand

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The funny thing is twice in my career I hired people for a job because they had the
personality and the voice. There are kids in the basement who used an old tape
recorder or today newer technology that practice constantly just like the kids play
hockey on the pond. Of the two that I hired, one went a lot further in the industry
than I did. The other went on to have a great career in a medium Canadian market
until he retired. There is a third come to think of it who is a sportscaster on the
prairie. All of them had little or no training they were just in the right place at the right
time. It does happen and probably more than you think. Remember before the
BCIT courses and Mount Royal, most of us had to get in by working at it and going
to station after station until the first door opened. I had to do that in the mid sixties,
so I know a little of which I speak. Today with home practice, a broadcast school,
and some part time work yes you can sound that good.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
damngrumpy, thank you for your post #10, 5 hours ago. I saw this story on the news tonight. I don't believe this is 'media frenzy and publicity stunt'. This is not the first time I have seen a news crew out showing and interviewing someone standing on a street corner looking for a job, begging for money with a sign, or just being 'weird'. On the news it said Ted Williams was a D.J., got into alcohol and drugs, lost everything and became homeless. Now has been clean and sober for 2 years. And yes, I'd rather listen to him than alot of DJ's I hear on the radio now. He can replace the idiot jungle jim (jj) on capital fm in Edmonton anytime!!
Karrie, thank you for your post #4

boats2010

Dec 29, 2010
. I only saw the video, and it did not portray him as such. I knew he was not just a homeless person, he has talent. To add comment about radio, well like the song said video killed the radio star. Once upon a time radio was the communication medium, now its cable and the Internet. Musicians used to get paid for their songs, now it’s all given away on the net. Probably why much of the new music is the way it is. Concerning the broadcasters, if they want to make money then learn to voice advertisements, that’s where the money is