Sacre bleu! British blue cheese conquers the French.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
With "The Good Food Guide" saying last year that British restaurants are better than their French counterparts, with its editor Elizabeth Carter saying "I have just come back from France and I spent the whole time wondering why it is that Britain has a repution for poor restaurant food. France's restaurant scene is in crisis, but Britain's goes from strength to strength" and English wines beating their French counterparts (and those from other countries) to win competitions in recent years, with two English vineyards - Nyetimber and Camel Valley - winning gold medals at the 2010 International Wine Challenge, the French hopefully though there would be a bit of a respite from this culinary pounding they have taken from the ancient enemy across the English Channel (although the French are, of course, used to suffering embarrassing defeats at the hands of their British neighbours).

But they hoped in vain, because now it's emerged that British blue cheeses are outselling their French counterparts for the first time.

The French may pride themselves on the diversity and range of their cheeses (though Britain has more native varieties of cheese than France has) but it looks as though British shoppers are starting to fall out of love with Gallic cheese.

Tesco, Britain's largest supermarket (though, in another French defeat at the hands of the British, Tesco will soon overtake French supermarket Carrefour as the world's second largest after WalMart), said it had sold 16 per cent more British blue cheese than French blue cheese over the last 12 months.

Consumers are increasingly embracing the likes of Blue Wensleydale, Yorkshire Blue, Blacksticks Blue, and Shropshire Blue all year round rather than just over the festive period.

Wensleydale is also the favourite cheese of Wallace in the animated BBC comedy Wallace and Gromit short films.

British blue cheese conquers the French

Stilton: not just being eaten at Christmas, according to sales figures

By Harry Wallop, Consumer Affairs Editor
18 Dec 2010
The Telegraph

It's enough to make a Frenchman choke on his Roquefort. Sales of British blue cheeses are outselling their French counterparts for the first time, according to Britain's biggest food retailer

The French pride themselves on the diversity and range of their cheeses, but it would appear that British shoppers have learnt to embrace home-made varieties with a greater passion.

Sales of British blue cheese, which for many meant no more than a taste of Stilton once a year on Christmas day, have rocketed this year, according to Tesco.

The supermarket said it had sold 16 per cent more British blue cheese than French blue cheese over the last 12 months.

Consumers are increasingly embracing Blue Wensleydale, Yorkshire Blue, Blacksticks Blue, and Shropshire Blue all year round, rather than just a slice of festive Stilton.

The supermarket's sales figures are backed up by market data from Kantar Worldpanel, the research company, which said imports of French blue cheese fell by 1 per cent over the last year, but sales of British blues, across all outlets, increased by 4 per cent.

The British blue cheese market now amounts to annual sales of £33 million.

The success of British cheeses is part of a steady trend for shoppers to buy more local food, and for British producers to seek European protected status. Stilton is now accorded the same protection as Parma Ham and champagne.

Nigel White, secretary of the British Cheese Board said: "British Blue Cheeses – of which there are more than 70 named types – continue to perform well and it’s great to see how the British consumer is looking to buy more locally produced cheeses in their supermarkets and local outlets.

“Our blue cheeses are increasingly being acknowledged as amongst the best in the world."

telegraph.co.uk

Last edited:

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Just because something sells more (cheaper price) does not make it a superior product. If the E.U. protective barriers were removed, the cheap cheese market in Western Europe would probably be dominated by producers in North and South America.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Try stinky tofu:

Stinky tofu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And don't let the name fool you as it's a gross understatement! I have seldom in my life had to spit food out of my mouth to stop me from gagging (and I've eaten some pretty gross stuff); but this smely tofu beat me on a few occasions, and this was on friendly bets with people. Only twice did I manage to swallow (once when I was with a restaurant with friend and they'd ordered it just for me, so after a bite it woud have been rude to spit it out, but it too some effort to swallow the bite and then hide the rest under my plate; and once when a friend had offered me a milder form of it mixed in with lots of vegetables to dilute it a bit so as to make it palatable). It's only recently did I figure out that it has meat products in it (I suppose I should have known; what else could possibly make it taste so rotten).

To me it smells and tastes like putrid socks. Some people though actually like it and swear up and down that it tastes much more mild than it smells. Sorry, but when I had it in my mouth, it tasted exactly as it smelt and them some. It was like putting putrid, sweaty and rotting socks in your mouth.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I have to agree with Risus that Danish Blue is my favorite of the ilk. I like my Stilton, Gorgonzola and Camenbert as well but the Danes win this one.