Quebec to curtail religion in public daycares

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
CBC NEWS

The Quebec government is expected to announce Friday that it will crack down on expressions of religion in subsidized daycare centres.

The Canadian Press has obtained documents from the Quebec Family Ministry that indicates the province will ban most forms of religion in centres that receive government money starting next June.

Those who disregard the new directive would be subject to various sanctions, including the possible loss of their government subsidy.

Family Minister Yolande James is expected to make the announcement at a Friday morning news conference in Montreal.

According to the documents, daycare workers would be allowed to say their own prayers but could not make children recite them.

Religious leaders including rabbis, imams and priests would also no longer be allowed to visit daycare centres.

While religious symbols such as crucifixes would still be allowed, they could not be used as an educational tool.

The Quebec government indicated last spring that they would move to ban religious instruction in government-subsidized daycares.

The opposition Parti-Québécois at the time demanded the government go even further and declare all daycares secular.

The government has in the past granted permits to daycares run by Islamic associations and Jewish rabbis.

An internal government audit has shown that about 20 daycares that receive public funding include religious instruction in their educational programs.

Read more: CBC News - Montreal - Quebec to curtail religion in public daycares

---

I see this as a good move (finally something good from the Quebec Liberals!). But some of you might think differently...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think religious instruction before the age of 18 is child abuse. They can be taught the basic tenets of all religions but instruction in any particular one before they reach the age of reason is pure brainwashing.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I think religious instruction before the age of 18 is child abuse. They can be taught the basic tenets of all religions but instruction in any particular one before they reach the age of reason is pure brainwashing.

I hope you have no children.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I do and he is very successful at what he does in spite of the fact that his mother raised him a born again Christian (he is now agnostic). I was brought up a Catholic which proves how bad it is to brainwash kids with religious tripe. And I think your belief in the validity of the crap FOX spews out is proof also.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

Why? Are you afraid that children be taught to use their critical mind to make a proper assessment of how the world works instead of them being taught to blindly accept the claims made by religion?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Magic gonch!

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Well, I am in the second round. I now have grandchildren. I know that it is temporary deception, but I would not deny them the joy of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy any more than I would deny them the concept of God.

Of course, this is not my call. My daughter and son-in-law are responsible people who will decide what is best for their children, whether I agree with them or not. And I am responsible enough to let them do their job.

What is valid in a family, is also valid in society. If most parents in a school want their children to be taught at least a modicum of religion, no government should dictate otherwise, unless it can be proven that it is harming or detrimental.

petros, the only ghost stories kids need to be afraid of is the scary possibility that YOU might appear in their nightmare.

Spade, your plentiful lack of talent to make an intelligent pun is the long-forgotten thing of the past. If the best you can come up with is KKKid's stories, I have nothing but pity for you.

Cliffy, you are simply not worth a comment.

The prevalent opposition to anything and everything that has to do with religion is nothing less than attempting to block free speech and the freedom of religion.

Show me in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms that would prohibit saying prayer in school, display a Christmas Nativity scene or place one religion over another as it is now, with all favours extended to Muslims and nothing but persecution towards Christians.

s-lone, I am not afraid of kids using their minds. In fact I encourage them to do so. But give them time to be kids. They will have enough atheist experience in their lives so that you can claim them to be your atheist captives. If that happens I will be more gracious to accept that than the atheists are ready to accept that there may be some people - even kids - who believe in God.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yukon Jack, you should realize by now that these guys are just trolling you...although the interesting thing about atheists in a forum is that they can't pass up a thread with any mention of religion without making a deregatory comment....hmmm I noticed that people with doubts about themselves do the same thing...its a need to reject their own shortcomings...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, I am in the second round. I now have grandchildren. I know that it is temporary deception, but I would not deny them the joy of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy any more than I would deny them the concept of God.

Of course, this is not my call. My daughter and son-in-law are responsible people who will decide what is best for their children, whether I agree with them or not. And I am responsible enough to let them do their job.

What is valid in a family, is also valid in society. If most parents in a school want their children to be taught at least a modicum of religion, no government should dictate otherwise, unless it can be proven that it is harming or detrimental.

petros, the only ghost stories kids need to be afraid of is the scary possibility that YOU might appear in their nightmare.

Spade, your plentiful lack of talent to make an intelligent pun is the long-forgotten thing of the past. If the best you can come up with is KKKid's stories, I have nothing but pity for you.

Cliffy, you are simply not worth a comment.

The prevalent opposition to anything and everything that has to do with religion is nothing less than attempting to block free speech and the freedom of religion.

Show me in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms that would prohibit saying prayer in school, display a Christmas Nativity scene or place one religion over another as it is now, with all favours extended to Muslims and nothing but persecution towards Christians.

s-lone, I am not afraid of kids using their minds. In fact I encourage them to do so. But give them time to be kids. They will have enough atheist experience in their lives so that you can claim them to be your atheist captives. If that happens I will be more gracious to accept that than the atheists are ready to accept that there may be some people - even kids - who believe in God.

You've really p*ssed me off Y.J.- at least you gave all the other reprobates a mention but you neglected to remind everyone what a rotten bastard I am. You've ruined my whole week. :lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
JLM, I am sorry if I ruined your whole week, but since I detected an occasional decency and fairness in your posts (even when we happen to disagree) I did not think that you were worthy of being in that group. If you take that as an insult, I am sorry. But if you take that as I mean it, maybe we can work together in the future.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I would wipe out every last personal insult in this thread but there'd be no thread left.

Cliffy, it is beyond insulting that you would term it child abuse. You've clearly never seen child abuse if you think religious instruction amounts to the same. YukonJack, it is NEVER okay to make a comment like that to another poster. And from there, well, more weighing in on one another. Does the forum not realize what it means to attack the issue and not the poster?

It ends here. I invite you all to make a thread in WB for your incessant comments about one another, but on forum it is getting very stale.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I think the Quebec government has taken a step too far. Forbidding religious instruction in a daycare that is run by a religious institution is beyond ludicrous. They could always refuse to subsidize the religious run daycares. Wonder how the people would react to that?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If they had of stated that they were banning Islam in the pre-schools everyone would have cheered. I have a feeling that was their intent. It seems odd that the hardcore RCs of PQ remained silent unless they were wiling to make a sacrifice.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I think the Quebec government has taken a step too far. Forbidding religious instruction in a daycare that is run by a religious institution is beyond ludicrous. They could always refuse to subsidize the religious run daycares. Wonder how the people would react to that?
I think that's what the article says GH
The Quebec government is banning religious teaching at all of its publicly funded daycares, prohibiting everything from group prayers to craft projects involving religious symbols

Read more: CBC News - Montreal - Quebec bans religious teaching in public daycares