Just in time for Christmas - a booklet on preparing for nuclear war.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Heck. We all had those booklets in the 50s and 60s. Then they went away for awhile and came back when Reagan was president. I guess kiss your backside goodbye material never goes out of style.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Apparently, according to the article, nuclear war is more survivable then was once thought and the booklet explains that exposure to radiation can be limited by hiding in basements, cellars, etc. A bit more updated then the hiding under your desk or sheltering by a curb.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Listening to the news today concerning the planned military exercises by South Korea, I am prompted to download this booklet myself.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Apparently, according to the article, nuclear war is more survivable then was once thought and the booklet explains that exposure to radiation can be limited by hiding in basements, cellars, etc. A bit more updated then the hiding under your desk or sheltering by a curb.

It appears to be a recycling of the 1960s civil defence pamphlets that were available at that time. People were encouraged to stockpile food and water in their basement or construct some sort of simple backyard shelter. They were also instructed on how to deal with a nuclear blast if they had the misfortune to be caught in the open. There were even detailed instructions for the more industrious or those with more money on how to build a shelter that would keep people alive until most of the radiation has dissipated (about two weeks as it turned out). There were even films available from the National Film Board that could be shown in schools. I used to show them to my students just to give them an idea of what a nuclear attack was all about.