Town Keeps Killer's Secret for 30 years

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Thanks for the direct link, Goob. I accidentally used the one for the nuke story. I felt great sympathy for the citizens of Skidmore who had to put up with such a nasty piece of work. I also felt sympathy for the police who are bound by laws that effectively err on the side of the guilty instead of the victims of crime. In the end was justice served? I think so and I am not usually one who believes in 'frontier justice'.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When we toured St.Johns Newfounland with 'The Haunted Hike', we heard a similar tale, only a different twist on the conspiracy of silence.

A man, a known pedophile, left a bar one night, and bumped into the specter of a young girl in the alley way. The bar heard his screams of alarm, and half a dozen men or more ran out into the alley in time to see the specter stab him to death. The testimony of all those men was exactly the same, and proved, a ghost stabbed him to death right in front of their eyes.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
When we toured St.Johns Newfounland with 'The Haunted Hike', we heard a similar tale, only a different twist on the conspiracy of silence.

A man, a known pedophile, left a bar one night, and bumped into the specter of a young girl in the alley way. The bar heard his screams of alarm, and half a dozen men or more ran out into the alley in time to see the specter stab him to death. The testimony of all those men was exactly the same, and proved, a ghost stabbed him to death right in front of their eyes.

Justice beyond the grave.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol.. justice yes... I highly doubt anything from beyond the grave. Just six or so men willing to stick to one story after they dispatched with some justice .

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
lol.. justice yes... I highly doubt anything from beyond the grave. Just six or so men willing to stick to one story after they dispatched with some justice .

Truly, I am in conflict with my feelings about taking matters in one's own hands. As is seen in these two cases, justice it seems did prevail. But as has been seen in history, not all 'frontier justice' has played out so equitably. While I quietly applaud the actions of the people in these stories, I do so knowing that my approval may just as easily tell against me when picked up by those who would see this type of justice triumph in all situations.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I saw an A&E American Justice program on this. Calling McElroy a bully understates the issue, he was a one man crime wave, a rural terrorist, who used fear and intimidation to protect and provide for himself.. and whose charges included attempted murder and rape. It sounds the like mob justice, but in this case, you would still call it justice.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
To have an entire town remain silent for such a long period of time just shows how truly despicable this man must have been.