Ontarions need geography lesson!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I continue to hear news reports referring to Western Ontario or Southwest Ontario and then go on to report on places in eastern Ontario like this morning it was London battling bitter cold in Southwestern Ontariol. My map of Ontario tells me London is in southeastern Ontario- places like Kenora, Fort Francis and possibly even Thunder Bay would be in Western Ontario. Are they just as lost geographically back there as they are politically?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I continue to hear news reports referring to Western Ontario or Southwest Ontario and then go on to report on places in eastern Ontario like this morning it was London battling bitter cold in Southwestern Ontariol. My map of Ontario tells me London is in southeastern Ontario- places like Kenora, Fort Francis and possibly even Thunder Bay would be in Western Ontario. Are they just as lost geographically back there as they are politically?

Fewer and fewer people care about Ontario. I plan on going to the Maritimes in 2012 and will probably drive through the states just to avoid it.

That said, it would be nice to see Northern Ontario split and join Manitoba. That's the only part of Ontario with semi-normal people.

Northwestern Ontario...the New Province of Mantario? (Globe) - SkyscraperCity

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ontario tends to forget that the biggest part of its landmass is north of the French River - unless, of course, we strike silver, gold, platinum, palladium or diamonds....

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Saskatchewan along the T.C.H. I agree, but I thought Manitoba east of Winnipeg is quite scenic...............or is my memory playing tricks?

Yes it is quite scenic from about an hour east of Winnipeg on the trans-Canada all the way to the about an hour north of Barrie. (That would be most of Ontario, the part of Canada you said you wanted to avoid in the first post in this string)

IMO, North Shore of Lake Superior is the most scenic part of Canada east of the Rockies especially around Rossport.

BTW, I grew up in Thunder Bay and lived in Kenora for a few years. Now I live outside of Toronto. Your blanket statement about Ontarions is general accurate, with many exceptions. But yes, in general a majority of Ontarions don't know much about Ontario north of Barrie.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
JLM...As a former BCer I noticed that everything AB eastward is known as "back east".

I noticed it come up on a thread the other day and it made me chuckle.

To keep things simple I call ON the Middle East and the Atlantics the Far East.

TheMedia93

Dec 14, 2010
Northwestern Ontario - as a region, politically is defined as the land mass and communities situated between White River and/or Marathon, Manitouwadge and Longlac to the east to the Manitoba border and between the Minnesota border north. Fort Frances is Fort Frances - NOT Francis. The town is named after Lady Frances Simpson which was originally a Hudson's Bay trading post.

As for discussion of Northwestern Ontario joining Manitoba or separating as its own provinces have long been debated and will continue to be debated until the end of time. Will any of it happen. Likely not, but it's creates good discussion.

Northwestern Ontario - as a region, politically is defined as the land mass and communities situated between White River and/or Marathon, Manitouwadge and Longlac to the east to the Manitoba border and between the Minnesota border north. Fort Frances is Fort Frances - NOT Francis. The town is named after Lady Frances Simpson which was originally a Hudson's Bay trading post.

As for discussion of Northwestern Ontario joining Manitoba or separating as its own provinces have long been debated and will continue to be debated until the end of time. Will any of it happen. Likely not, but it creates good discussion.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
not that I encourage you to, but if you drive northern Saskatchewan.. about 1 hr north of Prince Albert.. it's actually not that boring at all.. :)

and southern Saskatchewan below Regina is pretty nice as well.

The Red Coat southern route across Southern Sask and Manitoba is very scenic. Like the railroad the TCH is built on the easiest terraine for purly monetary reasons. Just a few miles in either direction off of TCH it's a lot different.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I heard a news report about a month ago, can't remember what it was about, where they described the person they were interviewing as being from Northern Ontario, in a community on the shores of Lake Huron.

Wow... that's really far north!

lol.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes it is quite scenic from about an hour east of Winnipeg on the trans-Canada all the way to the about an hour north of Barrie. (That would be most of Ontario, the part of Canada you said you wanted to avoid in the first post in this string)

IMO, North Shore of Lake Superior is the most scenic part of Canada east of the Rockies especially around Rossport.

BTW, I grew up in Thunder Bay and lived in Kenora for a few years. Now I live outside of Toronto. Your blanket statement about Ontarions is general accurate, with many exceptions. But yes, in general a majority of Ontarions don't know much about Ontario north of Barrie.

I guess my Alzheimers is acting up today. I searched the first post in the thread and didn't find any mention of parts of Canada I want to avoid- must be buried somewhere between (below or above) the lines. :lol:

I heard a news report about a month ago, can't remember what it was about, where they described the person they were interviewing as being from Northern Ontario, in a community on the shores of Lake Huron.

Wow... that's really far north!

lol.

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, in one poster's description N.W. Ontario is about a 1000 miles WEST of S.W. Ontario but really not all that far north (like barely north of the 49th parallel). Like what they call north is probably further south than Lethbridge Alta. :lol:

JLM...As a former BCer I noticed that everything AB eastward is known as "back east".

I noticed it come up on a thread the other day and it made me chuckle.

To keep things simple I call ON the Middle East and the Atlantics the Far East.

Anything east of Strathmore Alberta is "A.T."- Alien Territory. :smile:

As for discussion of Northwestern Ontario joining Manitoba or separating as its own provinces have long been debated and will continue to be debated until the end of time. Will any of it happen. Likely not, but it's creates good discussion.

As for discussion of Northwestern Ontario joining Manitoba or separating as its own provinces have long been debated and will continue to be debated until the end of time. Will any of it happen. Likely not, but it creates good discussion.

I guess that's where some of the confusion lies- driving north from the Minnesota border, I would expect to enter S.W. Ontario before reaching N.W. Ontario- what is referred to as S.W. Ontario, is not west at all but rather 1000 miles EAST. "Francis" was just a typo- I knew better but was too lazy to change it. :lol:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'm just about as far North in ontario as a paved road will take you, and about 150 miles south of james bay (as the crow flies) and I'm just at 49'25 degrees latitude....just barely north of the western Canada/US border.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I guess my Alzheimers is acting up today. I searched the first post in the thread and didn't find any mention of parts of Canada I want to avoid- must be buried somewhere between (below or above) the lines. :lol:

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, in one poster's description N.W. Ontario is about a 1000 miles WEST of S.W. Ontario but really not all that far north (like barely north of the 49th parallel). Like what they call north is probably further south than Lethbridge Alta. :lol:

Anything east of Strathmore Alberta is "A.T."- Alien Territory. :smile:

I guess that's where some of the confusion lies- driving north from the Minnesota border, I would expect to enter S.W. Ontario before reaching N.W. Ontario- what is referred to as S.W. Ontario, is not west at all but rather 1000 miles EAST. "Francis" was just a typo- I knew better but was too lazy to change it. :lol:

Seems to me you're looking at Ontario centered on Canada where when we refer to Northern Ontario, we're speaking in terms of the geographic region north of the French River. The geography's acceptable. It's the geometry that's off.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm just about as far North in ontario as a paved road will take you, and about 150 miles south of james bay (as the crow flies) and I'm just at 49'25 degrees latitude....just barely north of the western Canada/US border.
Still south me by 1.25 degrees....