The Complete Wikileaks Thread(All threads merged here!)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
U.S. to Canada: WikiLeaks release may hurt relations

OTTAWA — The U.S. government has notified Ottawa that the WikiLeaks website is preparing to release sensitive U.S. diplomatic files that could damage American relations with allies around the world.

U.S. officials say the documents may contain accounts of compromising conversations with political dissidents and friendly politicians as well as activities that could result in the expulsion of U.S. diplomats from foreign postings.

U.S. Ambassador to Canada David Jacobson phoned Minister of Foreign Affairs Lawrence Cannon to inform him of the matter, a foreign affairs spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Melissa Lantsman said the Canadian Embassy in Washington is "currently engaging" with the State Department on this matter. "We are not privy to the full contents of documents which may be leaked," Lantsman said in an email to The Canadian Press.

A State Department spokesman said Wednesday the release of confidential communications about foreign governments probably will erode trust in the United States as a diplomatic partner. "These revelations are harmful to the United States and our interests," state department spokesman P.J. Crowley said. "They are going to create tension in relationships between our diplomats and our friends around the world."

U.S. diplomatic outposts around the world have begun notifying other governments that WikiLeaks, a group that bills itself as a website devoted to reforming governments worldwide by exposing their secrets, may release these documents in the next few days.

Many of the cables are believed to date from the start of U.S. President Barack Obama's administration, meaning that the White House will not be able to distance itself from any disclosures. One concern, for example, is that the documents may reveal the kinds of pressure the U.S. administration has put on various countries to accept the transfer of Guantanamo Bay detainees who have been cleared for release but are unwelcome in their home countries.

Canadian detainee Omar Khadr was the subject of discussions last month between Cannon and U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Canada has long resisted repatriating Khadr, the only western detainee remaining at Guantanamo Bay, despite pressure from both American and Canada's federal courts. That position is thought to have caused tensions between the two countries.

The Toronto-born Khadr pleaded guilty last month to five war crimes, including the murder of a U.S. soldier during a firefight in Afghanistan in July 2002.

On Oct. 31, Khadr was sentenced to eight years in prison. According to a pre-trial deal, the 24-year-old man will serve one more year in U.S. custody, and after that he can apply to transfer to Canada to serve out the balance of his sentence under Canadian terms.

It remains to be seen if diplomatic cables between Ottawa and Washington regarding Khadr, the Canadian mission in Afghanistan or other bilateral matters will be among the documents expected to be released this weekend.

U.S. to Ottawa: WikiLeaks release may hurt relations - CTV News

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Re: U.S. to Canada: WikiLeaks release may hurt relations

In simpler terms:

Heads up.... you're going to soon be told about all the evil and horrible things we have done that may end up pissing a lot of people off.... but since we're telling you all in advance that makes it all ok.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

It feels like high school. OMG, the teacher took a note I wrote about you, and it says some really horrible things that I was thinking, and you're going to find out all about it. So, sorry! My bad!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Gee Whiz, the Americans might have twisted our arm to make us accept the return of one of our citizens....I'm shocked!!!!!!! (rolled eyes)

Is it true what I'm seeing? The anti-Americans who have so long campaigned for Khadr's release and return now complaining that the USA applied diplomatic pressure to make that exact thing happen????? (more rolled eyes)

Has it occured to any of you people that were the USA the monster manipulative society you so believe it to be........then the leader of Wikileaks would have already died of lead poisoning??? Delivered at high velocity??

Geez, if the last bunch of leaks revealed ONE, just ONE source of intel in Iraq or Afghanistan, the US would be entirely justified in shooting the SOB, no matter where in the world he happened to be. IMHO.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

No doubt there'll some juicy tidbits about wikileak sometime soon. Gotta love soiled laundry as related by e-gossip

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Gee Whiz, the Americans might have twisted our arm to make us accept the return of one of our citizens....I'm shocked!!!!!!! (rolled eyes)

Is it true what I'm seeing? The anti-Americans who have so long campaigned for Khadr's release and return now complaining that the USA applied diplomatic pressure to make that exact thing happen????? (more rolled eyes)

No, it's not true what you're seeing.... maybe next time you should open your eyes first before you make claims about what you see.

All I seen so far is people making comments towards the US's actions of trying to put out a fire before a fire exists..... a fire in which they basically admit they created..... or will create.

In regards to Gitmo transfers and the sort, I see no logical reason why you'd bring that up in the first place before any "Leaks" were given to determine what's being "Leaked" in the first place.

There are assumptions and guesses as to what these leaked documents might be about..... there's nothing solid.

All that's solid is the US is trying to PR the situation before it happens and to lighten the blow of things they obviously screwed up enough to possibly warrant many of their diplomats getting booted out of a number of countries...... which sounds pretty typical to me.

Due to the lack of any useful information in the report, CTV decided to fill in some empty space by dragging out Omar and the basic details of that.... but since nobody truly knows what the leaked information is going to be, it makes no sense to do such a thing, therefore in my view, the section about Omar is irrelevant.

Has it occured to any of you people that were the USA the monster manipulative society you so believe it to be........then the leader of Wikileaks would have already died of lead poisoning??? Delivered at high velocity??
There's still plenty of time.... maybe the US will get Israel to do it for them..... they always get away with assassinations of people they don't like.

Geez, if the last bunch of leaks revealed ONE, just ONE source of intel in Iraq or Afghanistan, the US would be entirely justified in shooting the SOB, no matter where in the world he happened to be. IMHO.
Now there's a wonderful attitude..... and contradiction.

You preach on about if the US was the Monster they're claimed to be, the Wikiman would have been killed long ago, therefore they're not the monsters they're made out to be..... and then turn around and say if anything Wikiman released did in fact provide information that could be bad for the US, they'd be completely justified in killing him.......

As I said.... there's still plenty of time for them to pull that stunt.

Then again, if the US has any brains left, they wouldn't touch him with a 20 foot missile, because if something does happen to him, everybody knows who will be the first suspect behind his disappearance...... or death..... or attempted assassination..... and if something does happen to him, then for many, it will just confirm that he was on the right path to something and perhaps he was right.

And that's why the US hasn't done anything about him yet.

If you do something, then you confirm to everyone that he's onto something.... if you ignore him, then most will just seem him as a fanatical lunatic. (in theory)

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010

Maybe Wikileaks is the agent to jerk the covers off the monkey shines the US is up to constantly? There is so much going on under the table that the only to fix the broken US government is clean house on all of those entrnched in power plus their followers. The governing system in the US is broken and unrepairable.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Who gives a f&ck. At least we killed people the USA told us were terrerests. Oh, I'm sorry, that's terr-rrists. Ya, I can't remember exactly how Bush said it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Praxius;1351782

No, it's not true what you're seeing.... maybe next time you should open your eyes first before you make claims about what you see.

All I seen so far is people making comments towards the US's actions of trying to put out a fire before a fire exists..... a fire in which they basically admit they created..... or will create.

In regards to Gitmo transfers and the sort, I see no logical reason why you'd bring that up in the first place before any "Leaks" were given to determine what's being "Leaked" in the first place.

There are assumptions and guesses as to what these leaked documents might be about..... there's nothing solid.

Well then, what the **** are we talking about???????????

The news reports say it is expected that much of what is to be revealed has to do with the USA twisting the arms of allies to take released Gitmo detainees from their countries.......thus the Khadr statements in my post....as in this CBC article......

CBC News - Canada - U.S. nervously awaits next Wikileaks

All that's solid is the US is trying to PR the situation before it happens and to lighten the blow of things they obviously screwed up enough to possibly warrant many of their diplomats getting booted out of a number of countries...... which sounds pretty typical to me.

Due to the lack of any useful information in the report, CTV decided to fill in some empty space by dragging out Omar and the basic details of that.... but since nobody truly knows what the leaked information is going to be, it makes no sense to do such a thing, therefore in my view, the section about Omar is irrelevant.

That may be so, but it was not just dragged out by CTV (see above) and my posts don't necessarily depend on your opinion of what is, or is not, relevant at the moment.

There's still plenty of time.... maybe the US will get Israel to do it for them..... they always get away with assassinations of people they don't like.

One could hope.

Now there's a wonderful attitude..... and contradiction.

You preach on about if the US was the Monster they're claimed to be, the Wikiman would have been killed long ago, therefore they're not the monsters they're made out to be..... and then turn around and say if anything Wikiman released did in fact provide information that could be bad for the US, they'd be completely justified in killing him.......

As I said.... there's still plenty of time for them to pull that stunt.

No contradiction at all.

The USA has not zapped him, thus they are not the monster most here seem to think.

Even though they would be justified in zapping him IF he was exposing their intelligence sources to repercusions by their enemies.

No contradiction at all.

Then again, if the US has any brains left, they wouldn't touch him with a 20 foot missile, because if something does happen to him, everybody knows who will be the first suspect behind his disappearance...... or death..... or attempted assassination..... and if something does happen to him, then for many, it will just confirm that he was on the right path to something and perhaps he was right.

And that's why the US hasn't done anything about him yet.

If you do something, then you confirm to everyone that he's onto something.... if you ignore him, then most will just seem him as a fanatical lunatic. (in theory)

A good point.

Unless the leaks are costing lives.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

Wait till WikiLeaks starts posting all the Liberals dirty laundry during their reign in power then you will see how fast Liberals in Canada rush to condemn him defending Jean and his Motley Crew..

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Wait till WikiLeaks starts posting all the Liberals dirty laundry during their reign in power then you will see how fast Liberals in Canada rush to condemn him defending Jean and his Motley Crew..
Another member here has such a list....

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey

'Wikileaks documents show Turkey helped al-Qaida'

Most Islamic countries probably have; if not out of agreement with their actions, out of fear.

Can't wait to hear what it ways bout Harpo and the lads. IF we ever get to see. Good bet we won't.

Bias is talking -you need to take your blinkers off. Al Qaeda is on the list of terror organizations in Turkey -those terrorists attacked Istanbul in 2003. It should be your hobby to place a label on a person , country, nation etc.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada

Colpy seems like a bright guy. He's just been fed american propaganda his entire life and that's definitely warped his view on many things. also he has a strong hatred for muslims.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Colpy seems like a bright guy. He's just been fed american propaganda his entire life and that's definitely warped his view on many things. also he has a strong hatred for muslims.

Actually, one of my close co-workers is from Algeria and is Muslim by birth........I have had a lot of time to chat with her on long night shifts.....

Now SHE hates Muslims.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Sooner or later wikileaks operators will be knee deep in something they won't find desirable. Possibly fitted for cement boots or in the wrong place at the wrong time for something accidental. It wouldn't be a big surprise. Given the reckless harm they enjoy creating I don't think many will feel too sorry.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Who gives a f&ck. At least we killed people the USA told us were terrerests. Oh, I'm sorry, that's terr-rrists. Ya, I can't remember exactly how Bush said it.

That was 'terrists'.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Well then, what the **** are we talking about???????????

Nobody knows yet because nothing has been released.... all we know at this time is that the US is trying to PR their allies and prep them for some nasty news about their actions which might piss a lot of people and countries off...... which is basically what the US has been saying themselves.

The news reports say it is expected that much of what is to be revealed has to do with the USA twisting the arms of allies to take released Gitmo detainees from their countries.......thus the Khadr statements in my post....as in this CBC article......

CBC News - Canada - U.S. nervously awaits next Wikileaks
Expected is one thing..... what it will actually be is another, so to jump on everybody who posted in here as anti-Americans acting like hypocrites over their Gitmo transfers is jumping the gun a little bit, especially since nobody in here commented on the Gitmo transfers until you brought it up.

That may be so, but it was not just dragged out by CTV (see above) and my posts don't necessarily depend on your opinion of what is, or is not, relevant at the moment.
It does when you come all up in here on your high horse and call us all anti-american hypocrites over things none of us said at the time...... it does when you claim we made comments towards the Gitmo transfers and try and use something that doesn't exist to support your continued finger pointing at us for things we didn't even do or say yet.

CBC, CTV and the man on the moon are all speculating at this time and assuming what these documents might be, just like you are...... nobody else in here prior to you posting made any references to what the documents might be..... those who posted in here prior to you made comments towards the US's actions of trying to put out a fire before the first starts...... a fire they seemed to have created themselves by their own actions which are going to soon be exposed to the rest of the world.

What that fire is, remains to be seen.

One could hope.
That doesn't surprise me.

No contradiction at all.

The USA has not zapped him, thus they are not the monster most here seem to think.
Yet you think they should be the "Monsters" people think they are by doing exactly what those people think they will do. :-?

Even though they would be justified in zapping him IF he was exposing their intelligence sources to repercusions by their enemies.

No contradiction at all.
So they would be justified in killing someone for exposing to the public (The US public included, to whom those their government and military are supposed to serve and their allies who are sending their own troops to be sacrificed for these guys own interests) their own clear violations and wrong-doings?

That's the whole point of leaking these things in the first place..... if they didn't do anything wrong, it wouldn't be worth leaking would it?

If it's worth leaking, then logically they did something wrong that needs to be exposed in order to prevent these asshats from continuing to do more wrong.

And just because they're the government or they're the military, doesn't mean they get to have free range to do whatever the hell they damn well please, illegal or not, against human rights and international law or not...... and if countries around the world decide to punish the US and their diplomats for leaked information that exposes their wrong doings to a point to justify such punishment..... then the US only has themselves to blame and no one else.

And if they have such an issue with such information being leaked..... maybe they shouldn't have fk'd around and committed such actions that would piss their allies off in the first place. Don't blame WikiLeaks for showing us the wrong doings the US military/government did..... that's equal to shooting the messenger.

Nobody would be complaining if WikiLeaks dished out information on Iran, North Korea, the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, WWII Japan, etc.........

I'd want to know what my enemies are doing just as much as I'd want to know what my allies and my own nation are doing..... and just because they may provide information that may not shed my country or my allies in a good light, doesn't mean I should get all up in an outrage for what they did...... I should be focusing my anger towards my nation's leaders or my allies for the wrongs they committed.

Would you rather be protected by a police force that abide by the rules and laws they're supposed to uphold and protect.... or would you rather take your chances on a corrupt police force that bend the rule or even break them to do what they personally think is right and wrong, regardless of the laws and rules they're supposed to uphold?

A good point.

Unless the leaks are costing lives.
Someone providing information of wrong-doings overrides what hypothetical lives might be lost, since those wrong-doings were probably already responsible for more lives lost then would possibly be lost by these leaks.

And citing National Security or claiming the risk of lives lost by not telling the public you serve what's really going on is no excuse.... it is no justification and our governments and militaries, US, Canada, UK, Australia, France, etc..... should all be held accountable by their people and held responsible for their actions.

They serve us...... we don't serve them..... that's what a Democracy was supposed to be all about I thought..... our governments are accountable, they owe us explanations for what they do or don't do and they do not have free range to do whatever they damn well please behind closed doors..... otherwise you might as well toss democracy out the window and just accept dictatorships, because that's exactly where we're heading when we defend and excuse idiot governments like this or let them just get away with anything they do, right or wrong.

If our own government and militaries won't give us the information we deserve to know, then we should get that information ourselves.... which is exactly what WikiLeaks does.

They're the ones who pushed for war.... they're the ones sending our fellow citizens around the world to blow up countries and kill people, they're the ones who ignore human rights and international law in order to punish people they suspect are the enemy..... and if nobody reigns them in and if their wrong-doings are not exposed to the public and if they're not held accountable for their actions and wrong-doings...... then who will reign them in and ensure they do what is expected of them..... which is to do the right thing and abide by the principles, rights and laws our western societies claim to defend and believe in.

If we don't control our own governments then we don't control our militaries either..... and if we don't control any of that, then we don't control anything at all...... thus not a democracy.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Wikileaks site is currently down.

"We are currently under a mass distributed denial of service attack."
WikiLeaks (wikileaks) on Twitter
---
Also..

According to the Sunday Telegraph (via a local TV station) Wikileaks plans to release new informations on a daily basis starting today and then continuing Tuesday.

Topics:

Today: "ratings" of foreign politicians
Tuesday: North/South Koreak, Guantanamo
Wednesday: Pakistan, anti-piracy missions in Djibouti
Thursday: Relationship US-Canada
Friday: corruption in Afghanistan
Saturday: Yemen
Sunday: China

Looks like fun for the whole family!
---

From wikileaks twitter again..

"El Pais, Le Monde, Speigel, Guardian & NYT will publish many US embassy cables tonight, even if WikiLeaks goes down"