Terrorists don't like Christmas.....

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
U.S. Christmas car bomb plot foiled

PORTLAND, Oregon - A Somali-born teenager was arrested on Friday for attempting to detonate what he thought was a car bomb at a Christmas Tree lighting ceremony in Oregon, officials said.

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, was charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction in connection with an alleged plot to bomb the annual event in downtown Portland, the Justice Department said late on Friday.

The bomb was a fake and had been provided to Mohamud as part of a long-term sting by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies, federal officials said in a statement.

Officials said Mohamud had been in contact with an unnamed individual believed to be in northwest Pakistan and involved in terrorist activities.

"The threat was very real," said Arthur Balizan, a senior FBI agent in Oregon. "Our investigation shows that Mohamud was absolutely committed to carrying out an attack on a very grand scale."

Thousands of people attended the tree lighting in a popular Portland square lined with shops and offices. Officials said the public had never been in danger at any time during the sting operation, which lasted months.

Mohamud, a naturalized U.S. citizen and student at Oregon State University, was taken into custody near the square after he attempted to use a cellphone to trigger what he believed was a car bomb, according to a U.S. government complaint.

He lashed out at agents, yelling and kicking them, and had to be restrained, it said.

Agents had shadowed Mohamud and met him several times as the plot developed, the U.S. government said. He told FBI agents that he had thought of waging violent jihad, or holy war, since the age of 15, federal officials said.

Mohamud proceeded with the plot despite opportunities to back away, according to the complaint, which quotes him praising the Sept. 11, 2001 attack on New York City and expressing a desire to see "body parts and blood""in Portland.

"I want whoever is attending that event to leave, to leave either dead or injured."

The Mogadishu-born Mohamud planned to flee the United States after exploding his car bomb, the government said.

He is expected to make his initial appearance in a federal court in Portland on Monday. He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted of the charge of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction.

His arrest came a day after Americans celebrated the Thanksgiving holiday, and it was less than a year after a young Nigerian man was charged with attempting to detonate plastic explosives hidden in his underwear aboard a passenger jet from Amsterdam to Detroit on Christmas Day.

U.S. Christmas car bomb plot foiled | World | News | Toronto Sun

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, was charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction
He had an aluminum tube this big?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
U.S. Christmas car bomb plot foiled

PORTLAND, Oregon - A Somali-born teenager was arrested on Friday for attempting to detonate what he thought was a car bomb at a Christmas Tree lighting ceremony in Oregon, officials said.

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, was charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction in connection with an alleged plot to bomb the annual event in downtown Portland, the Justice Department said late on Friday.

The bomb was a fake and had been provided to Mohamud as part of a long-term sting by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies, federal officials said in a statement.
trimmed for brevity

Sounds like entrapment.

BTW, I don't like Xmas either. In grade 7 (1959) I wrote a Xmas composition while attending Catholic school in Quebec called "Santa Clause is a Capitalist Pig." As you can imagine, that went over like a lead balloon. I still am disgusted at the opulence and decadence of what began as a reason to help the poor.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
trimmed for brevity

Sounds like entrapment.

BTW, I don't like Xmas either. In grade 7 (1959) I wrote a Xmas composition while attending Catholic school in Quebec called "Santa Clause is a Capitalist Pig." As you can imagine, that went over like a lead balloon. I still am disgusted at the opulence and decadence of what began as a reason to help the poor.
I like the Santa Claus that gave out shrooms.

@ $30 an oz it's far cheaper and you get to see deer fly.

Buy Amanita muscaria, Fly Agaric mushrooms for Sale

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
trimmed for brevity

Sounds like entrapment.

Smarty pants....the forum software would have done it...you didn't need to......

Are you defending that guy?....these were.nt joos in portland!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Smarty pants....the forum software would have done it...you didn't need to......

Are you defending that guy?....these were.nt joos in portland!
No, just that you don't have to be a Muslim terrorist to not like Xmas. Besides, there were no Muslims involved with Oklahoma city bombing or the Kennedy assassination. This constant hate mongering against Muslims is getting sickening.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Hate mongering? against Terrorists or would be terrorists?...seems like you and EAO have something in common...
Terrorist is in the eye of the beholder. I realize suicide bombers are beyond stupid and compared to carpet bombing and attack drones, rather inefficient. But if you really stopped to think about it, suicide bombers exist because of carpet bombing and attack drones used by our allies.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Terrorist is in the eye of the beholder. I realize suicide bombers are beyond stupid and compared to carpet bombing and attack drones, rather inefficient. But if you really stopped to think about it, suicide bombers exist because of carpet bombing and attack drones used by our allies.

Hate mongering? against Terrorists or would be terrorists?...seems like you and EAO have something in common...

I rest my case......

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
No, just that you don't have to be a Muslim terrorist to not like Xmas. Besides, there were no Muslims involved with Oklahoma city bombing or the Kennedy assassination. This constant hate mongering against Muslims is getting sickening.

You'd think it would be given a rest during the Christmas season.

"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. "
- JC

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You'd think it would be given a rest during the Christmas season.

"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. "
- JC
Yup, none christians seem to be able to follow that than most christians.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Innocent until proven guilty and all that. The feds better have the evidence to back up the charges. At least that's the way I feel with stings of any kind.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I find it interesting that the term "Muslim," or mention of any religious following doesn't
take place in the Opening Post, and doesn't happen until post #7 in this Thread,
unless I'm mistaken. Very PC to avoid openly offending anyone, though hints are
given with the counry this young man origionated from, & his name, etc...

....without actually stating a religion. The implied attack against Christianity isn't
directly mentioned either, but the fudged attack was against a Christmas Tree
lighting ceremony. Some very carefull writing in that story.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Help me out here, Ron. The crime was an imagined WMD against a Christmas tree. Was the tree real?
Meanwhile, while adherents of two essentially identical religions squabble, the real enemy lurks, preparing to act on cue!