The Hon. David Lam Dies

The Honourable David See-chai Lam O.C., C.V.O., O.B.C., the 25th Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia, passed away yesterday at eighty-seven. Mr. Lam served as the viceregal representative of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada in Right of British Columbia for around seven years (1988-1995). He was summoned by The Right Honourable Jeanne Sauvé P.C., C.C., C.M.M., C.D., the 23rd Governor General. The appointment came on the advice of The Right Honourable Brian Mulroney P.C., C.C., G.O.Q., the 18th Prime Minister.

Mr. Lam was an Officer of the Order of Canada, the second-highest rank of the masterpiece of Canada's honours system. He was also a Commander of the Royal Victorian Order, an honour that was bestowed by the Crown (the Royal Victorian Order is one of the only honours not bestowed on the advice of ministers); and lastly, he was made a Member of the Order of British Columbia. On this sad and unfortunate occasion, His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General, issued a statement.

Quote: Originally Posted by His Excellency the Right Hon. David Johnston

It was with great sadness that I learned of the death of the Honourable David Lam, former Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia.

An officer of the Order of Canada, Mr. Lam was a popular lieutenant governor who played an important role in the public life of both British Columbia and Canada. As an Asian-Canadian, he inspired newcomers to Canada to join the mainstream of Canadian society and contribute to the life of their country.

Having prospered in the business world, Mr. Lam quietly made his influence felt in society, supporting higher education and many charitable endeavours. He was much-loved for his generosity and kindness to his community, and numerous public spaces and projects now bear his name.

My wife, Sharon, joins me in offering our deepest condolences to his family, friends and to all British Columbians.

• Office of the Governor General: homepage (external - login to view) / Death of the Honourable David Lam (external - login to view)
That's old news.