GOP Congressman Seriously Confused About His Stance On Obamacare

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Freshman GOPer: Hey, Where's My Health Care?

Maryland physician Andy Harris (R) just soundly defeated Frank Kratovil, one of the most endangered Democrats on Capitol Hill going into the November election. And he did it in large part by railing against 'Obamacare' and pledging to repeal Health Care Reform. But when he showed on Capitol Hill today for an orientation for incoming members of Congress and their staffs, he had a different question: Where's my government health care?

According to Glenn Thrush of Politico, Harris created a stir at the orientation meeting by demanding to know why he had to wait a month after he was sworn in in January for his government-subsidized health care to kick in. After responding in a huff, he even asked if there was some way he could buy into the government care in advance, seemingly thinking there might be a government program similar to the so-called 'public option' championed by progressive Democrats in 2009.

According to an unnamed congressional staffer quoted by Thrush, Harris stood up at the meeting "and asked the two ladies who were answering questions why it had to take so long, what he would do without 28 days of health care."

During the campaign, Harris told voters, "the answer to the ever-rising cost of insurance is not the expansion of government-run or government-mandated insurance but, instead, common-sense market based solutions that ensure decisions are made by patients and their doctors."

Here's Harris from the heat of the health care debate back in 2009 railing against making health care into a "new government entitlement."

YouTube - Dr. Andy Harris (R-Candidate, MD-01) on Health Care Reform

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Let me see if I understand this. A Republican demanding a perk he campaigned against? Why is that hardly surprising in a party that favours the ignorant as candidates?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Two weeks and the entitlement syndrome is already kicking in...

How long before the Tea Party faithful see the luster come off? If they are even capable...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Kinda reminds me of the Reform saying they would not take the fat MP's retirement package and then a few months later embracing the free cash. Suddenly free money was very patriotic. Shows to go ya what a BS game politics is.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Let me see if I understand this. A Republican demanding a perk he campaigned against? Why is that hardly surprising in a party that favours the ignorant as candidates?

It's okay. I'm sure he will be part of the deftly effective economic recovery operation.