Explosion Resort Mexico Playa del Carmen....conflicting info....

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Been skimming the Headlines & stories. No dead, or 8, or 3, or 7, or 5....
are the common numbers. Some say six.

Gas line, gas stove, or gas tank explosion....maybe, depending on the
story. In the Lobby, or by it, or under it....depending on the story, etc...

No structural damage, to a building missing a roof, to a four foot deep
crater in the Lobby, depending on the story...

Anyone heard anything? I have relatives going there (or very close to it)
in less than a week.

Oh....here's some kind of link: Explosion rocks resort hotel in Mexic... - Google News

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
My daughter's family is booked to go there in Feb. That's the same area where the couple from Toronto were murdered a few years ago isn't it?

Under the floor in the lobby ... most likely a faulty gas line ... but still ... shows shoddy construction standards.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
shows shoddy construction standards.
This is Mexico. They don't have construction standards.

They don't. The building code for railing height is something like 32 inches in Mexico and something like 36 inches in Canada. Every time I hear about someone else going over a railing I think about the Mexican building code ... made for little people.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Anyone going to Mexico is going at their own risk, it is a very corrupt and troubled
area of the world right now. I hear people saying oh there are safe places to go,
when there are drug wars and smugglers and thieves of every description and in
some cases that is the police and military there are no safe places.
In fact don't be surprised if we the rest of North America are not soon involved in a
police action in Mexico to bring stability and make the world safe for tourists.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Anyone going to Mexico is going at their own risk, it is a very corrupt and troubled
area of the world right now. I hear people saying oh there are safe places to go,
when there are drug wars and smugglers and thieves of every description and in
some cases that is the police and military there are no safe places.
In fact don't be surprised if we the rest of North America are not soon involved in a
police action in Mexico to bring stability and make the world safe for tourists.

I would not recommend any travel there unless you plan to never leave the resort. And that is not always safe.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Been skimming the Headlines & stories. No dead, or 8, or 3, or 7, or 5....
are the common numbers. Some say six.

Gas line, gas stove, or gas tank explosion....maybe, depending on the
story. In the Lobby, or by it, or under it....depending on the story, etc...

No structural damage, to a building missing a roof, to a four foot deep
crater in the Lobby, depending on the story...

That means it was an inside job! ;-)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I would not recommend any travel there unless you plan to never leave the resort. And that is not always safe.

It used to be said that you would be relatively safe if you remained on the resort. Of course, why would you bother going if you just stayed on the resort? Isn't the whole point of a trip to see as much as possible?

That being said, there have been increased incidents of violence happening to tourists on the resorts themselves! Why would people even want to vacation there with everything that is going on at the moment. With a few of the kingpins(or lords or whatever they call themselves) being killed, they are looking to exact revenge on anyone they see fit(and that includes tourists).

Surely there are safer places to visit that would be just as beautiful to behold.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Jamaica is pretty safe on the resorts, as most of them are owned by the
Columbians, and those guys are not the folks anyone wants to mess with.
By Columbians, I mean the Cocaine Columbians, and this is their place
to scrub thier drug money, and they take that very seriously.

I felt very safe in Cuba, as the government there looks after the tourists very
well (with a few exceptions....don't drive in Cuba...some weird laws). The
general population doesn't mess with the tourists themselves, as the
consequences are just to large.

Mexico....that's a different story. This one sounds now like an accident that
just happened to happen in a pretty lawless country in the middle of a drug
war.

Clarabeth

Nov 14, 2010
me and my husband have lived in the U.S all our lives, and just recently purchased a home in Playa which is where we are at this very moment, and have been for the past 4 weeks visiting our home. We live here and live in Dallas Texas as well, when people talk about the corruption in Mexico it is no different then what is happening in the U.S, yes there is no doubt there is allot of security that you see on the streets but that is because mex is not set up like the US with the same technology, we have the same security in Dallas on every entersection the only difference is they are camera's not officers. We have a lawfirm in Dallas that deals with different types of cases, and I cant tell you the amount of calls we get on criminal offenses, drugs, rape, murders, sexal harrasement so in all reality it is no different than Mexico. There is a huge problem with the drug cartel there is no doubt, but this problem is in the boarder towns not the resorts where most vacationers go, Playa Del Carmen is one of the safest places to go and I can promise you that once you step foot here you will understand. As for the structures of these Resorts and homes they are better built than the US homes, our home before we purchase here had been built 20-25 yrs ago sits right off the beach and had been through seveal hurricanes and was still in tact when we bought it, most of the homes in the US get split in half by Tornadoes why the US has not realized this and came up with the same tools that the mexicans have is beyond me. Last but not least if you google up natural gas explosions in Dallas, Houston or just in Texas you will find numerious stories on this issue I know this cause we have some of these cases ourselves that we are handling, so please don't flatter yourself on this issue with mexico being a dangerous place to vacation, when it is happening in our own Country the US.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Lotsa goobers on this thread-backwoods knuckledraggers who have never owned a passport/never will and think that the Grey Cup is the second coming of jesus the christ.

**** happens all the time-my condolences to the families of the deceased.

jeniec

Nov 17, 2010
Okay for all of you who say Mexico is not safe to go to you have NO idea what you are talking about! On Halloween in little Edmonton Alberta 5 people were shot! Seriously go to Mexico, any part and then have an opinion as to how safe it is. There are parts of Edmonton that I would NEVER go to during the day or night as with most cities in Canada or the US. The gas explosion is awful, however don't people think that that could happen here as wel? It can. Building codes are much less controlled in Mexico but have you read in your local paper about any toddlers falling out of apartment buildings in the last few months? I have. The drug war has been happening in Mexico and other countires for a very long time and will continue to rage for many years to come. The media exposes all of these things now and we see more of what is happening. Even the unfortunate accident at the hotel in Playa Del Carmen was splashed all over every news channel and paper and still is. My family and I are leaving for Mazatlan in 24 days we go every year and will continue to, not once have I even questioned the safety, not even now. My condolences to those who were injured and to the families who lost loved ones.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm assuming that the Mexican tourist board, or the timeshare condo sales association are having people post on this thread. I wish they'd at least teach them how to use paragraphs before letting them post here.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I'm assuming that the Mexican tourist board, or the timeshare condo sales association are having people post on this thread. I wish they'd at least teach them how to use paragraphs before letting them post here.
Your paranoia is unwarranted-everything that poster put up is true.

Canadians don't like to think about the corruption and violence in their own country but it's all around us all the time.

Where I live in Vancouver gangsters are gunning each other down daily and I've sat right @ this computer in one of the best neighbourhoods on the West Side of the city and heard gangsters shooting it out just a few blocks away.

Canadian police regularly beat and even murder citizens with impunity but I read more about problems in Mexico than here-I wonder why that is?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Your paranoia is unwarranted-everything that poster put up is true.

Canadians don't like to think about the corruption and violence in their own country but it's all around us all the time.

Where I live in Vancouver gangsters are gunning each other down daily and I've sat right @ this computer in one of the best neighbourhoods on the West Side of the city and heard gangsters shooting it out just a few blocks away.

Canadian police regularly beat and even murder citizens with impunity but I read more about problems in Mexico than here-I wonder why that is?

Okay, I understand how hard it is to pass grade 3, but did I say somewhere that what they said was untrue, or that there is no violence in Canada?

If you don't like Vancouver, then move.

If you want a thread about violence in Vancouver, then start one.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Okay, I understand how hard it is to pass grade 3, but did I say somewhere that what they said was untrue, or that there is no violence in Canada?

If you don't like Vancouver, then move.

If you want a thread about violence in Vancouver, then start one.
The corruption and violence is everywhere in this country-sorry to abrade your super thin skin.

¿Habla español?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
My daughter's family is booked to go there in Feb. That's the same area where the couple from Toronto were murdered a few years ago isn't it?

Under the floor in the lobby ... most likely a faulty gas line ... but still ... shows shoddy construction standards.

Gas line? That was my thought when I first saw the story. I figured the swamp gas buildup was just an excuse to deflect possible lawsuits or assure tourists that Mexico's safety standards are not lacking.