God will save us from climate change: U.S. Representative

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
U.S. Representative John Shimkus, possible future chairman of the Congressional committee that deals with energy and its attendant environmental concerns, believes that climate change should not concern us since God has already promised not to destroy the Earth.

Shimkus, an evangelical Christian and a Republican member of the House from Illinois, on Tuesday signalled his desire to become chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

The Energy and Commerce committee is among the most powerful in the U.S. Congress, with a wide-ranging purview over legislation touching on energy policy, environmental initiatives and public health.

Shimkus already serves on the committee. During a hearing in 2009, he dismissed the dangers of climate change and the warnings of the scientific community by quoting the Bible.

First, he noted God’s post-Flood promise to Noah in Genesis 8:21-22.

Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though all inclinations of his heart are evil from childhood and never again will I destroy all living creatures as I have done.

“As long as the earth endures, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, will never cease.”
“I believe that’s the infallible word of God, and that’s the way it’s going to be for his creation,” Shimkus said.

Then he quoted Matthew 24:31.
And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds from one end of the heavens to the other.”

“The Earth will end only when God declares it’s time to be over. Man will not destroy this Earth. This Earth will not be destroyed by a Flood,” Shimkus asserted. “I do believe that God’s word is infallible, unchanging, perfect.”

Following the Republican wave in the recent Congressional elections, the committee will shift from Democratic to Republican leadership.

On Tuesday, Shimkus sent a letter to his colleagues burnishing his credentials by saying he is “uniquely qualified among a group of talented contenders to lead the Energy and Commerce Committee.”

God will save us from climate change: U.S. Representative - thestar.com

What was that about being condescending again?

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Well ...We'll just have to wait and see if Big "G" grants Shimkus(Evangelical Christian/ Republican) his desire to be a chairman in the house of Energy....

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Did you notice, he is an Evangelical Christian, and the ones who quote this stuff have
a second belief, that connects with the end time. The Evangelicals for Zion, understand
the end time. Their basic belief is that they support Israel, because at the end, the Arab
world will attack and in the conflict that ends time, Christ will return like a thief in the night.
He will swoop in and take all those who are saved, to safety and the world destroys the
remnants of of we know as society. Then those who have been promised eternal life,
will reign over the world for a thousand years of eternal life.
This guy sees the Lord as taking over, and of course the environment is safe, why should
we worry anymore? I mean it is solved isn't it? Give me a break.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Oh Boy! I don't really know what to say especially since there are people who will believe him.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Stockwell Day,that name ring a bell ? Isn't he one of "them"? How many more of those loonies has steve got in his gang ?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Stockwell Day,that name ring a bell ? Isn't he one of "them"? How many more of those loonies has steve got in his gang ?
But... but... they are just preparing the way for Christ's rule on Earth for you and me! Golly! What is all the fuss?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I may be wrong, but my feeling is that all the authors of the above snide posts think that Al Gore is the Father, David Suzuki is the Son, and the copius amount of vodka they imbibed before posting is the Holy Spirit.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
mentalfloss, first of all, abbreviating another poster's screen mame is an undeniable sign of mental tardiness. If you can't find the time and the energy to refer to or address another poster by their FULL screen name, Your opinions are just as valid as your questionable industriousness.

Having said that, is that the best you can come up with? Another perfect view of your perspective is that you consider three years ago an ancient history.

Maybe you should ask God to give you some brains, that Darwin obviously failed to do.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Maybe you should ask God to give you some brains, that Darwin obviously failed to do.
Only the bloodline of Cain has the reptile serpent brain. It is highly doubtful Darwin boinked a lizzard due to newly invented taxonomy and the problems therein.