Man gets 6 years for homophobic, debilitating attack

Tony The Bot

Electoral Member
Nov 2, 2009
Cyberland
www.canadiancontent.net
Man gets 6 years for homophobic, debilitating attack
Posted via Canadian Content

37-year-old Shawn Woodward has been sentenced to six years in jail for an unprovoked attack on 62-year-old Ritch Dowrey, which was considered a hate crime and a homophobic attack.

The attack had the unfortunate permanent result of severe brain injury. The victim is also no longer able to care for himself, leaving him in the care of a facility.

The incident occured on March 13, 2009 during which the victim was celebrating a retirement party at the Fountain Head Pub, a bar serving Vancouver's gay community.

Judge Jocelyn Palmer disagreed with Woodward's version of events and sided with the victim in the case, ruling the attack as unprovoked.

The judge also noted that the defendant showed no remorse.

As the victim lay outside of the pub, Woodward told other patrons of the pub the victim was a faggot and got what he deserved.

Unlike other countries, including the United States, Canada includes homophobic attacks in hate crime legislation. Unfortunately, 6 years seems extremely lenient for effectively ending a man's life of independence.

Original Article: http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/man-gets-years-homophobic-debilitating-attack_1033.html

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Disgusting. Six years is far too little for this arsehole who basically destroyed the rest of this man's life.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't quite get why that would be a 'just' sentence, but yeah, the original one is too light.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I don't quite get why that would be a 'just' sentence, but yeah, the original one is too light.
He might get a clue what it is like to be something other than a homophobic male?

Oh, an maybe a frontal lobotomy to get rid of his violent tendencies.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Nothing short of removing his genitals and turning him into a woman would be a just sentence.

Cliffy - Now don't you worry - he will be a Little Woman in prison, and then after his front teeth are knocked out why he will be having 2 orifices vice 3. Well 2 out of 3 Ain't bad for this future ccksucker.

Why when he get out, he goes for a dump, he won't need toilet paper as it won't touch the sides of his ass.

And he should have got 20 to life.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Cliffy - Now don't you worry - he will be a Little Woman in prison, and then after his front teeth are knocked out why he will be having 2 orifices vice 3. Well 2 out of 3 Ain't bad for this future ccksucker.

Why when he get out, he goes for a dump, he won't need toilet paper as it won't touch the sides of his ass.

And he should have got 20 to life.

Holy shyte, Goober. I thought I was violent!!!!

But, right on.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Holy shyte, Goober. I thought I was violent!!!!

But, right on.
Friends of mine worked st the Springhill Prison - You go in with it intact - and ain't no way you are leaving without some hard lovin - unless you are tougher than the devil - or well connected.

Otherwise you have 2 choices - They are

Ya wanna be the mama
Or ya wanna be the papa,.

Does not matter what you answer as you are going to be doing some fellatio at the least. After you have your teeth redone of course.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Just wondering - and please nodody make the mistake that I side with this piece of sub-human garbage - would the reaction be the same if the crime had been committed by a gay person on a straight one? Would it still be a hate crime?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Just wondering - and please nodody make the mistake that I side with this piece of sub-human garbage - would the reaction be the same if the crime had been committed by a gay person on a straight one? Would it still be a hate crime?
I have yet to read about gays beating to the point that a person need intensive care for the rest of their life a Heterosexual.

I have a number of gay friends and they are live and let live people.

But if a group of gay beat a person because and only because of their sexual orientation, because they Heterosexual and singled out as such, it would be a hate crime. You know that as well as i do.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

dunno, JY. Have only known a couple of gay guys, and they definitely were not the types that beat the crap out of people. Not that one of them couldn't, just................wasn't them.

Given the homophobia in todays society, I'd say there would be a big reaction. And the beatee would be laughed outa town.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
I doubt it is homophobia but just retardness as we have lots of "Jarheads" in society who'll fight over anything. Thankfully I am a bit taller than the average height but I've seen men pound on each other for the smallest of indegressions, like spilling 10ml of beer...

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I doubt it is homophobia but just retardness as we have lots of "Jarheads" in society who'll fight over anything. Thankfully I am a bit taller than the average height but I've seen men pound on each other for the smallest of indegressions, like spilling 10ml of beer...

My wife used to work in an office right on jasper - Druggies, and all were every place you looked - I was never approached once
I am 6 ft and a tad about 200 and trim. And I also have what my wife calls my mean face, don;t bother me. Never botered once.
Same as where i work - A lot of close to the fisticuffs - Never happened and I am 53.

I think it has a lot to do in how you present and carry yourself. That is what people see first.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

It does raise one question, I'm curious if it was me or you the guy beat the sh*t out of, would he still get six years? By the same token what if the guy got the sh*t beaten out of him because he was antagonizing and obnoxious and then it turns out later he's homosexual? If a guy was to beat the sh*t out of a little frail old lady, would that be considered a "hate crime"? I think you are on a "slippery slope" when you start designating "hate crimes". :smile:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It does raise one question, I'm curious if it was me or you the guy beat the sh*t out of, would he still get six years? By the same token what if the guy got the sh*t beaten out of him because he was antagonizing and obnoxious and then it turns out later he's homosexual? If a guy was to beat the sh*t out of a little frail old lady, would that be considered a "hate crime"? I think you are on a "slippery slope" when you start designating "hate crimes". :smile:

I think you are wrong on this point. To get designated as a hate crime the bar is quite high. The Judge did not designate this as a hate crime but only alluded to it during her sentencing.

Then again look to the US where a gay man was beaten and stung up on a barb wire fence to die in the cold - or the Black man that was dragged to death tied to a pick up truck.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
By the same token was the senseless beating half to death of the white truck driver by marauding blacks in the streets of Los Angeles in 1994 a hate crime?

Or the sodomizing and killing of a boy by homosexuals (can't recall exactly where or when) a hate crime?

Bottom line is that "hate crime" is idiotic. A dead or a beat up, person is a dead or a beat up person, regardless who that person is and/or who committed the crime.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I just find it kind of strange that a guy gets 6 years for beating the crap out of another guy, and yes left him disabled, yet two young guys just outside of Regina not only abducted a prostitute, but sexually assaulted and beat her before killing her, only got seven years. Then you look at Conrad Black, who never even committed a crime that could be prosecuted in Canada, (a supposed crime, or not that is now even in question in the US) also got six years. Justice is a strange and elusive bird indeed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just find it kind of strange that a guy gets 6 years for beating the crap out of another guy, and yes left him disabled, yet two young guys just outside of Regina not only abducted a prostitute, but sexually assaulted and beat her before killing her, only got seven years. Then you look at Conrad Black, who never even committed a crime that could be prosecuted in Canada, (a supposed crime, or not that is now even in question in the US) also got six years. Justice is a strange and elusive bird indeed.

You didn't mention the main criteria which include how the judge is feeling that day. :smile:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Disgusting. Six years is far too little for this arsehole who basically destroyed the rest of this man's life.

Agreed, however, Karma being a b*tch and all, I imagine some in Prison will make his 6 years there very pleasant.

Show us one example of that happening and maybe some here might consider answering that seriously.

Actually come to think of it, hypothetically speaking, if he did what was described in the above report to a straight person and after beaten the crap out of them he called them some racist name (or whatever derogatory name there is out there for straight people...... maybe sponge dippers or something......) and told the guy he got what he deserved...... yes, it would also be a hate crime if someone was targeted for an attack solely based on their appearance, religious beliefs, personal lifestyle, gender, etc..... and then left there to die or live the rest of their life with the intelligence of a blueberry bush.

A guy who is gay was in a well known gay community celebrating his retirement with friends whom chances are, were gay too, then this clown comes along and beats the living sh*t out of him, calls him a F*ggot, claims he got what he deserved and now he's a turnip...... and you don't think it had anything to do with Homophobia?

Sure, there's all kinds of idiots out there who will fight over anything..... but that anything is still something and that something in this situation had to do with the victim being gay...... Homophobia fits the bill for me.

It does raise one question, I'm curious if it was me or you the guy beat the sh*t out of, would he still get six years?

If anybody ruined someone else's life like they did in this case, they should get far more then 6 years.... I'd hope someone got more then 6 years for fk'n you up for the rest of your life and turned you into a pineapple, just as I'd hope the same for others.

However the difference here isn't just the action, it's also their intent and their motives which make this more then just a serious assault, but an actual hate crime.

By the same token what if the guy got the sh*t beaten out of him because he was antagonizing and obnoxious and then it turns out later he's homosexual?

It doesn't fk'n matter..... you could be the biggest assh*le I've ever met, but so long as you don't raise your hands at me or try and attack me, all you'll get back are words.

Someone being obnoxious isn't justification to beat someone almost to death and cripple them for life, wtf are you, 14?

If a guy was to beat the sh*t out of a little frail old lady, would that be considered a "hate crime"?

That depends on their intent and their motives..... you're obviously stuck on just focusing on the action and because of that, your above arguments make little sense to what's being talked about and you sound like you didn't understand the entirety of the situation being discussed.

I think you are on a "slippery slope" when you start designating "hate crimes". :smile:

Not if you know what you're talking about.