Ottawa-area Muslims worry about lamb sacrifice

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
CBC News - Ottawa - Ottawa-area Muslims worry about lamb sacrifice

Any thoughts on this?

Personally, though I'm vegan myself, I actually admire people who can kill their own meat rather than get others to kill it on their behalf. Before I had become vegan (yeah I know some of you will laugh at the irony here), I used to hunt, as did my dad. I didn't really enjoy hunting myself, but had no choice, as my dad expected me to. Now, even though I don't agree with eating meat when alternatives are available, I will still say that I admired the fact that at least my dad wasn't among those who'll sit there, take a bite out of a hamburger, and between bites point out how cruel hunting is. At least hunters do their own dirty work rather than get others to do it for them.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
"It's getting really serious. They're just so sharp about it. They want to stop it right away," said Abufarha. "There's big fines for slaughtering meat outside of a slaughterhouse."

Ummm, yeah! lol

Many Muslims in the Ottawa area have begun booking lambs to sacrifice for their Eid feast on Nov. 16, and say they'll risk killing the animals themselves. Akram Elmuradi has already paid for 10 live lambs he plans to sacrifice with friends.
"I myself take joy in the kill itself," Elmuradi said. "It's a tradition. … Nobody's going to stop you from doing something you believe in."

I guess we're not allowed to have a problem with that.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I can see butchering animals for resale being illegal, but for your own use, I don't care if you're doing it as a religious rite or to fill your freezer, it would be a lot cleaner than hunting an animal in the bush and eviscerating and quartering it there.
As lon as the animal is killed humanely...not bled to death

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I'm pretty sure bled to death is how it's done.

I don't strongly disagree with you, but the way to go about it is to talk to your politicians and petition for a legal exemption to be enacted. If you ignore the law because it contradicts your "traditions" then don't be surprised when people develop a "negative" view of you.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The law should be there for everyone to follow regardless of religious traditions.
I am sick to death of people wanting a pass because something is against their
religious freedom. We have laws for a reason. No actually you can kill meat
for sale, there is a process of laws for that and they have to be obeyed or there
is risk of contamination sickness and death. Muslim, Jew, Christian, whoever
you must obey the law.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
A long time ago, that's the way pigs were killed on the farm to collect the blood to make blood sausage until we found that a .22 bullet to the forehead would end the suffering and as much blood would be collected doing chest compressions (similar to CPR):lol:
So this law would prevent farmers from harvesting their own meat? does it mean they have to sell the single head of cattle they want to butcher to an abattoir miles away then buy it back once it is butchered(killed) to put in their freezer??? Don't make much sense to me.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A long time ago, that's the way pigs were killed on the farm to collect the blood to make blood sausage until we found that a .22 bullet to the forehead would end the suffering and as much blood would be collected doing chest compressions (similar to CPR):lol:
So this law would prevent farmers from harvesting their own meat? does it mean they have to sell the single head of cattle they want to butcher to an abattoir miles away then buy it back once it is butchered(killed) to put in their freezer??? Don't make much sense to me.

And I bet the farmers and abattoir industry don't see eye to eye on this monopolistic law.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The law is there for pretty good reason. If you don't want to abide the law, do as you please and deal with the consequences. Everyone else does.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yeah not sure how it works. Any hunters here? Do you butcher your own kill?

Of course hunters do...unless you're lazy or don't have the know-how.....except for the less tender parts you want as ground meat in the case of a big animal such as a moose, you can bring to a butcher if you don't have the machinery to do it yourself....